Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S14 Trackslag, Rust Repairs, Cage, Brembo's, ABS and Aircon Delete

Rides
    Properly inspiring work here dude - I love what you are doing
    Maximum respect for the effort and skills you are putting in .

Rides
    good job on doing the bonnet catch support - I ran without one on my S13 for 6 months and ended up damaging the bonnet due to the wobbling and difficulty shutting the bugger because the slam panel was flexing.

tidy job on the welding too nice to see it being done 'properly' and rebuilding the inner sill too
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Thanks guys. Ive sent the intercooler pipes off to get welded. Should get them back end of next week, then i can put all the front back on!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Not quite sure how i've mised this until now. Top work buddy, keep it up
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Did more welding today, as im still waiting to get my intercooler pipes back. Im also fed up of walking past the car and cutting myself on sharp bits of metal hanging off the rear wing!

I made a lower outer skin which i then MIG spot welded to the nice new lower floor panel i made.

Then i welded it all back together.

It looks a bit of a patchwork, but i quite like it. Shame you'll never see it when the over fender is fitted.

Next i tubbed the arch. Same process as before, quite time consuming and a pain in the neck welding upside down. Its also quite painful when little balls of weld drop down your sleeves!

[IMG]

Then i took the front wing off to get a better look at this seemingly innocuous hole. Turns out this may also need a complicated repair, but im not tackling this yet, as im fed up of welding again.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Jim_Auto; 05-05-2011 at 21:31.

Rides
    Big holes requiring 2 patches

Surface rust stabilisation using Jenolite/Genolite.

Welded up some spotwelds i drilled out from the battery tray

Rides
    Good work on the rust! Bet your welding is improving!?

One of many skills I wish I had!
    Bet you cant wait to get it on track- when's the completion date?!
    Tom

Rides
    Yeah cant wait to finish. My original finish date would have been mid may, but due to my Mum being ill and frequent hospital visits im not getting much garage time. I guess a realistic time would be a month from now? Nearly all welding done, just cage reinforcing plates left. No idea when it'll be finished. A month maybe?

Rides
    Started with the rust proofing today. First i gave it a highspeed wire brushing with a drill, then degreased it all before applying red oxide anti rust spray.

Then i seam sealed all the joints with Wurth seam sealer. I got a job lot of this stuff in brown, but its the same as grey and black stuff.

Im not the tidiest welder, but it was a shame to cover up some of these welds!

I collected my intercooler pipes after they were welded up, and began refitting and mocking up where my Greddy BOV will go. I knew roughly, so had already ordered 45 and 90 degree elbows and an ally joiner £30! Quite expensive, but should last.

Im mounting the BOV using one of the mounts that the original recir valve was on. Im recirculating it with some low pressure corrugated bendy tube and then the original nissan ducting across the front of the cam cover. Its all a bit of a squeeze, but im well happy with how it all sits now. Looks quite neat, and nothing is going to vibrate and smash itself about. Ive also fitted a new washer bottle with sits on the back of the headlight panel.

Once i was happy with th locations, i made a new battery tray base with a neater cut out for the intercooler cold pipe and welded it in.

To make the rear wheels sit snugly under the rear arches i bought soem H&R 25mm spacers. The studs were just a few mill short, so i pressed in some longer studs i got off ebay. Sadly they are way to long, so im going to have to cut them down in order to use my centre drive wheel nuts.

Rides
    Ive been busy again.

I applied some stuff called Wunderseal over the tubbed rear arches Its a tough general purpose seam sealer and resistant to stone chips etc. I then primered it, and gave it a top coat of Kuro black from a spray can which should keep it water tight from below.

I seam sealed the new plate in the battery tray, all behind the front wings, and then the battery tray. The battery tray i did in Kuro black, the rest i gave a generous covering of black hammerite smooth. Im no longer using the front arch liners, so while the wings were off, i derusted them with rust killer, then went over the vulnerable areas with more hammerite.

Last edited by Jim_Auto; 13-05-2011 at 15:18.

Rides
    Put the intercooler system together. Fits like it grew there. Very neat.

Started trimming an overfender, and my Rocket Bunny spoiler. Not sure whether to fit it all then get it painted, or paint items now and fit them after?

My new discs turned up too. Got all the bits now, just need time to fit it all.

Rears are huge compared to the originals.

Rides
    How wide are yor over fenders? If you dont mind me asking.

Rides
    They are Origin, marked as +50, but dont look. Plus im trimming them so they sit flusher, and im pulling the base of the wheel arch open to make them sit tighter so they will end up more like +30. Didnt really want overfenders, but it fits the purpose!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Auto View Post
    They are Origin, marked as +50, but dont look. Plus im trimming them so they sit flusher, and im pulling the base of the wheel arch open to make them sit tighter so they will end up more like +30. Didnt really want overfenders, but it fits the purpose!
    I could do with overs on mine but dont want mega wide cos the rims I want to run arent very manly. Its more to tidy up the RQP after rust repairs. I will need to use filler or overs to tidy them up. It a case of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Watching with interest on how the overs fit around the bottom of the arch once you've pulled them out.

Rides
    Im using et22 17" alloys 9J wide, with 25mm H&R rear spacers. Should look ok, but i would have rather had a decent rolled steel arch, but dont have the skills or budget.

Got the front all back on and got it outside for a clean off. Really annoyed with myself that i didnt cover the car up better when grinding. The car could really do with a colour mop or similar to clean up properly. Looks good though.

Intercooler? What intercooler!

Rides
    Goddamn it! Since the car was all clean and polished, i decided to start on the brakes. I took off my old discs and calipers, and temporarily fitted the new disc and caliper to work out what type and length of caliper bolt i was going to need. It was while doing this i found yet more rust! It never ends.

So later today im going to have to start cutting rot out. Im really really fed up of this now. This whole project was meant to be a quick cage fit, brake upgrade, and then go do some trackdays. Instead its turning into a never ending welding marathon. Summer is fast approaching and the car isnt even road legal yet!

Rides
    Awesome work dude, really inspiring to see someone tackle that much work

Keep it up

Rides
    Cheers Dave. Its driving me mad!

Cut the rust out. Should be quite easy to make a plate up for this. Access isnt too bad this side, but applying seam sealer ir paint to the engine bay side is going to be a ball ache. I took a look at the passenger side, and its the same as this side!

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Rides
    Finished welding again. Going to clean up the whole arches both side, then seam seal and underseal like i did at the rear.

Rides
    Looks neat work.
    Just think how much money your not spending by paying someone else to do it for you!

It will be worth it in the end, they go well on track!