Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my floor paint.

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Ordered my floor paint.

After much deliberation about various floor covering options, I've gone for some cheaper two part epoxy paint which has been used by two people I know with good feedback.

This is the stuff I've gone for: http://www.morganpolymers.co.uk/products.asp

I also have some concrete sealer, so the plan is:

• Diamond grind the floor
    • Vacuum
    • Seal (twice)
    • Two coats of epoxy

I've decided to do it in white.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    I've decided to do it in white.

Any particular reason for this insanity?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post

Any particular reason for this insanity?
    LOL, grey rocks

Rides
    Because it'll end up grey anyway. I like the idea of being able to see things when they drop onthe floor. What ever colour I paint it, the colour of stains, spills and marks etc will be the same, they may just show up more on white.

When I painted the last garage floor grey, I immediately noticed that it was harder to see small screws and nuts etc that I had previously found easy to spot on the original light concrete.

I may end up eating my words though...
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    I need to decide on the floor paint for mine as well.

But I'll get my own megatopia forum for that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I need to decide on the floor paint for mine as well.

But I'll get my own megatopia forum for that
    lol

Watch this space for my appraisal of how well it all works out!

From what I've gathered, the most important points are to seal the floor properly first (even a diluted mix of PVA seems to be effective), and to use a two part epoxy paint (but be prepared for the stuff to become unworkable after 40 mins)

Rides
    black floor will hide the stains, all you need to do then is swap all the bolts and stuff for some other color like yellow then they'll show up on the floor.

my mates folkes have a garage like this made from the concrete slabs and asbestos roof complet with holes in the roof

we wanted to tear it down and make a warterproof and warmer place to work but they aint having any of it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by colinjy View Post
    my mates folkes have a garage like this made from the concrete slabs and asbestos roof complet with holes in the roof

we wanted to tear it down and make a warterproof and warmer place to work but they aint having any of it.
    Why not just stick a new roof on it and then insulate and panel it inside?

Rides
    Which of those coatings have you gone for mate and does it have any non-slip quality?

White should be fine so long as you wash the floor every now and then.

Rides
    Mine is pale blue: hides the stains well(ish) and easy to see screws etc on the floor. Looks a lot more macho than white too

Rides
    I'm going to have to shop for some soon, all being well. Was researching a few weeks ago and people seemed to suggest that pva doesn't work too well, and a proper sealant is preferred.
    I know bigger all about paint: if its two pack, does that mean you mix the components together, then apply as normal with brush/roller etc?
    Last edited by Si; 25-05-2011 at 09:59.

Rides
    I suggested to my mum that we should paint the garage floor for a whole load of reasons that I explained

Her only reply was "I dont want a shiny garage floor"

FFS!!!!

Pics when you're done, im intrigued

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm going to have two shop for some soon, all being well. Was researching a few weeks ago and people seemed to suggest that pva doesn't work too well, and a proper sealant is preferred.
    I know bigger all about paint: if its two pack, does that mean you mix the components together, then apply as normal with brush/roller etc?
    Yeah, what I've bought is a proper cnocrete sealer. That said, both people I know who used the same paint just used PVA and both are very pleased with the results. It seems that sealing the concrete not only gives a better base for the epoxy to adhere to, but makes the paint go further as the base is less porous.

Yes, the paint is in two parts and you have to mix it with a paddle on a drill. Once mixed you have in theory about an hour to get it painted on, but in reality it seems that after 40 or so minutes the stuff is unworkable. Oh, and any brushes or rollers will be dead. My plan is to paint it on with tesco value sweeping brushes - should give a decently thick coat and be fairly quick.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Mine is pale blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Which of those coatings have you gone for mate and does it have any non-slip quality?

White should be fine so long as you wash the floor every now and then.
    It was this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Not sure if it has non slip - some of them claim to, but I'm not convinced. I'm aware that it's going to be a potential problem, but given the nature of the fluids (oils etc) I'm not sure how nonslip anything would be.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Possibly you could add some texture into the paint? A handful or 3 of sand would add a bit of grippiness. I've done this in the past (not on such a large area though) with good effect. The only trouble I had was as I used basic cheapy paint, the sand content, whilst making it nice and grippy, did tend to cause it to wear off a lot quicker.

Might be better with decent epoxy paint - just an idea.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Possibly you could add some texture into the paint? A handful or 3 of sand would add a bit of grippiness. I've done this in the past (not on such a large area though) with good effect. The only trouble I had was as I used basic cheapy paint, the sand content, whilst making it nice and grippy, did tend to cause it to wear off a lot quicker.
    I've though about this, but I think in the end it would just get annoying and would hold the dirt and oil etc. If it's really bad, I can always put something over the top, but once anything like sand is mixed in, there's no going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Might be better with decent epoxy paint - just an idea.
    I suppose the problem is knowing what is "decent". there are a range of products from different suppliers. I've been quoted in excess of £1k to do the floor from one supplier. I'm wary of "cheaper alternatives" but the stuff I'm using has been used by two other people I know over the last few years and both are very pleased with the application and durability. Not sure that any paint without a mechanical grip built in will offer much protection to slipping in spilt oil/coolant and I don't intend to throw much water around...

Rides
    Pictures of white floor when done please
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Did the prep over the weekend. Gave it a good sweep and scrub with a stiff brush and then vacuumed it - once with a "Henry" and then with our upright hoover from the house (which has a rotating brush). I had previously scrubbed the concrete when green (about a week old) to remove a lot of the laitance.

I then gave it two coats with this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

One coat on Sunday PM and then another Monday AM. I also did the strip of slab round the outside of the building, so that the DPM will have something to adhere to when I fold it over and stick it down.

Due to the fact that "stuff" is already accumulating in the garage, I've actually prepped about two thirds. Once that's done, I'll move the "stuff" and then do the remaining third.

The paint has arrived, so I should get a couple of coats on over the weekend. In principle I've ordered enough, but I suspect I will need more. I certainly used more sealer than expected. I have 4 tubs of paint, and being epoxy you mix a tub up and then have about 30 or 40 mins to get it down. The plan is to do one tub and see how far that goes. If I do less than half of what is prepped, then I'll bung a second down and the remaining two will be the second coat. If the first tub does more than half of what I've prepped, then I'll just leave it at that, and do a second coat over the top. Either way I'll have a good idea of how much more paint to order.

The pit is a bit more of a challenge. I've ordered some special slurry which will tank it internally. The pit is nice and dry now, but still shows a couple of damp spots which are fading. Bearing in mind the pit had about a foot of water (from rain and hosing down the slab) in it for weeks until a week ago when I pumped it out, I don't think that's bad! I don't think there are any water table issues to worry about, but the slurry I've bought is supposed to be good under hydrostatic pressure anyway. Once the pit is done with the slurry, I need to leave it for some time and then I'll epoxy the floor and do the walls in masonary paint.

No pics yet, as we all know what a bare concrete floor looks like.