Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my floor paint.

Rides
    Awaiting eagerly!
    I'm going to have to do this soon:

The floor is quite, ahem, establish (i.e a bit broken) so I guess it will need a whole bunch of sealing and stuff before painting - re-doing is not an open due to cost.

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Awaiting eagerly!
    I'm going to have to do this soon:

The floor is quite, ahem, establish (i.e a bit broken) so I guess it will need a whole bunch of sealing and stuff before painting - re-doing is not an open due to cost.
    I'll let you know how I get on with the epoxy resin based cement I have ordered. The foxes had a field day whilst the concrete was wet so, having ground back any proud bits (I did this before the sealer went on), I need to fill in some spots. If your floor is damaged, I'd suggest removing any loose bits and repairing first.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    I was just going to see what good ol' henry could remove, then pour a shedlaod of school glue over it

Rides
    Si, my brother has/had a wierd fascination with garage floors and concrete painting (you know what he is like) so drop him a message on wastebook if you need a hand with anything

Obviously I would offer a hand, but not too local anymore

Rides
    Cheers brah - may well do that - don't want to spend to much though as it's pretty much condemned

Rides
    Righto, the painting has begun. Over pleased, however...

Bearing on mind that the garage is a little over 50sqm, and the paint is supposed to do 3 to 5 sqm per kilo, i figured 20kgs would be a good starting point to get two coats. My 20kgs has covered about 30sqm with one coat, so I shall be buying more....

Flippin' hundreds of little leaves blew in through the gaps in the ridge. PITA! They'll come out, but have left marks, so a bit of work will be required before the second coat - ie paneling (inc insulating) the roof.

I used a number of Tesco value soft brooms to apply it (£2 each! ) which worked well. You could work it in better than with a roller, but this may explain the poor coverage. That said, I'm pleased with the first coat. It had filled a lot of the imperfections. I used the bristles to apply it and work it in, and the flip the broom over and use the flay back like a scraper or squeegee to drag off the excess onto the next area.

Pics to follow, but I reckon I made the right choice with white.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Pics please sir, looking to re-paint our workshop floor, so I'm very interested to see your results

Rides
    Let me know how you get on with wear and tear, I gave up in the end and moved over to 6mm rubber matting. The kind you find in horse stables etc. Great stuff, got tired of the paint lifting on mine even after sealing and prepping etc. Probably didn't help when I'd drop the odd differential or sledgehammer on it though

Rubber matting helps alot on that front

Rides
    Well, so far the paint seems good. Flippin' hard stuff once it's gone off. No pic, as the place is standing on it's head, but it's nice and white was definitely the way to go.

Rides
    Just hope that the tyres don't lift it

My tyres lift the paint so i have covered the floor with carpet tiles now lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    Just hope that the tyres don't lift it

My tyres lift the paint so i have covered the floor with carpet tiles now lol
    Nah, no chance - the stuff is SOLID! Can't even chip it I was going to go for a second coat, but the second coat has to be put on within 24hours. If not,m the surface has to be keyed - don't think I'll be doing that...

I'm really quite impressed with it. Any issues have been down to me (ie a having a garage that let leaves in ). I think the key is to abrade and seal the floor properly first and to use this 2 part epoxy stuff. The jag was parked on it about 2 weeks after application, and left to sit for about 3 weeks (with a flat tyre....) Rolled off the paint with no problem.

Rides
    Something to look into then lol

Love having a painted floor, makes life so much easier

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    lol

Watch this space for my appraisal of how well it all works out!

Well?

Rides
    Can we have some pics of what it looks like. Did you end up diamond grinding the floor in the end as I'm considering that for my garage.

Rides
    I can confirm that the Diamond Hard stuff is total shit, mine's flaking already

Rides
    Ok, picture attached. The stuff is great. The only thing's it's objected too are an angle grinder (ie physical contact with a spinning disc rather than sparks) and welding spatter. Even then, no evidence of that minor damage leading to anything worse.

Just got to do the rest of the floor!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfield View Post
    Can we have some pics of what it looks like. Did you end up diamond grinding the floor in the end as I'm considering that for my garage.
    No diamond grinding. Just abraded with stiff brush and then sealed before painting.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thought I'd an another update.

I did the rest of the floor tonight. Before doing so, I marked off a straight line I could work to as where I'd previously done to was a bit feathered and not straight. Once the stuff has gone off - ie anything longer than 24 hours, you have to key the surface of one coat to put on another, so I thought I'd key the bits that crossed my line so I could mask up and paint over.

Couldn't budge the stuff or rough it up with either of my sanders. A wire brush on a grinder didn't do much better.

I'd say it's solid

Rides
    Would you recommend this to a Friend ?

I've been thinking about using this stuff for some time, And I'll soon need to make a decision.

I've been a little scared by the Cost though, I was quoted for 2 Coats on a 108sq.m Floor, In a Custom Color !

Great Build by the way !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Will@666Custom View Post
    Would you recommend this to a Friend ?
    Yes, definitely, but as with most things in life, preparation is the key. Seal the floor and apply in the right conditions. I'm a little concerned, I have to admit, that last night might have been a bit chilly for the paint, but I left heaters on in the garage over night.

I've been a little scared by the Cost though, I was quoted for 2 Coats on a 108sq.m Floor, In a Custom Color !
    Well, the stuff I used was about 50 quid a tin (well, two tins - on paint and one hardener) and I used 7 tins on a floor of about 50 sqm. I got nowhere near the coverage you're supposed to get, but then the floor wasn't power floated and I was pretty generous with it. I do have a nice thick coat though, and it's filled most of the little holes and groves etc.

I found that tesco value sweeping brushes are ideal - use the brush to work it in and then the back of the broom head to drag excess to another area.

Great Build by the way !
    Thank you
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 19-10-2011 at 18:11.