Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfa Scuderia "non originale"

Rides
    Awesome project and well done for doing something different this could be the world’s first reliable Alfa lol

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfaholical View Post
    I thought I might cause a bit of division.

V6 is a big heavy motor and involves lots of chopping and going more than 250hp gets expensive again. I agree an SR20 does not sound like a raspy Alfa Twink (I will miss that a bit).
    I think the noise is the key reason I harbour doubts

Good luck though and it's at least an interesting project

I might not point my Alfa obsessed friend this way though, he might follow through on Kieran's request
    Now just a man!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfaholical View Post
    I thought I might cause a bit of division.

V6 is a big heavy motor and involves lots of chopping and going more than 250hp gets expensive again. I agree an SR20 does not sound like a raspy Alfa Twink (I will miss that a bit).
    it's not a case of division

it's just that one of the biggest parts of the alfa soul is the engine and the noise. even old alfa spiders and the alfasud sound awesome. there had to be a better option than the sr imho.

the project itself is awesome and i would've hated not to see it had you gone down the non nissan route for an engine but i can't help but feel the poor little car will lose part of it's appeal with a modern 4 pot turbo sewing machine beating away

or maybe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maserati-3200-...item588dd7555b

Rides
    As much as I'm a big fan of classic alfa'a and I love sr's, some of the guys are kinda right... Your removing the soul from your alfa.

But you shouldn't be transplanting the engine, you should be refining it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    it's not a case of division

it's just that one of the biggest parts of the alfa soul is the engine and the noise. even old alfa spiders and the alfasud sound awesome. there had to be a better option than the sr imho.

the project itself is awesome and i would've hated not to see it had you gone down the non nissan route for an engine but i can't help but feel the poor little car will lose part of it's appeal with a modern 4 pot turbo sewing machine beating away

or maybe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maserati-3200-...item588dd7555b
    it would be the same as putting a diesel in a E-type jag

Now just a man!
    Rides
    In the series one or two then yes but anything is better than the horrible v12 e-type

Anyway with so many people doing and loving swaps in s-body's these days most people here are batting from a sticky wicket
    Now just a man!

Rides
    I love Alfa's. Would have been nice to see a V6 going in but still a cool project!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In the series one or two then yes but anything is better than the horrible v12 e-type

Anyway with so many people doing and loving swaps in s-body's these days most people here are batting from a sticky wicket
    you get my point though.

To be fair, putting a different engine in an S-body is fine as the car is never going to be a pretty classic like that alfa.

It's cool putting a modern engine in the OP's car but I think the SR is a terrible choice purely for the noise factor.

Rides
    To atone for what you did, you will have to swap the alfa's engine in the s14 after that

Rides
    I'm a fan I couldn't give a monkeys ass about the twink if i'm honest. Removing it's soul

A cool project in my eyes

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Don't be so dismissive, there are a lot of people who "feel" the same. Give it a few years and you might have owned something with an engine worth cherishing and you will understand
    Now just a man!

Rides
    Alfa's are shit, get that SR in there to hell.

Rides
    I do understand that people feel that way about keeping it's engine but, for me, i'm not really bothered. I'm not trying to offend anyone though it's just my opinion.

For me it's how a complete car makes you feel that counts, whether it has a standard engine or not makes no odds. The twink could be placed in say a caterfield chassis and give that car some 'soul'

Rides
    Along the lines of the camaro that had the jap engine. Many people hated it, even though it was awesome. I like this can't wait to see it finished.

Rides
    [flame suit] With the right exhaust and induction, an SR can sound pretty good, provided it doesn't have VVT rattle - but that's only an issue when first started anyway [/flame suit]

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Django67 View Post
    [flame suit] With the right exhaust and induction, an SR can sound pretty good, provided it doesn't have VVT rattle - but that's only an issue when first started anyway [/flame suit]
    Indeed.
    We are back to the hate of the SR because of noise, i just dont get it...
    Sr's aint the nicest noise out there but loads of so called "fruity" engines that make a supposedly nice noise all sound the same to me. Its only when you get to proper big stuff like astons and all that where you can appreciate a good rumble.

I am more interested in the way it moves the 4 wheels down the road, SR's boot the arse of most things in this regard.

Rides
    Some interesting coments on retaining the originality of the car. I thought long and hard before doing the conversion. The Alfa engine that I pulled out was a tuned 2ltr (original was a 1.6Ltr).

The noise it makes will be different but not unpleasant.

Swapping over to fuel injection required some modifications to the tank but on the basis that many of the old Alfa suffered floor flex and cracking the preferred route was to fit a tank between the turrents. Also reduces the risk of a firey experience should I get rear ended.

As it was

Remove the tank and cut the top off

A bit of paint and sealant and it becomes the boot floor

Make a hardboard mock up of the tank

Fits okay

then send the mock up to Bryn at Allyfab to make me a baffled tank with a swirl pot built in.

A couple of weeks later Bryn sends me through the tank. The guy is a total god when it comes to Ali welding and tank fabrication

Really happy with the tank. Fits perfectly! The original Alfa sender unit will allow me to keep the original guages.

Steering link needed modification/fabrication to clear the bellhousing. A job I also gave Ed and his dad as it is a little mission critical.

Ed also brought over the tunnel that he had fabricated off site from the mock up hoops.

Really happy with this (needs to have the gear lever hole modified to allow for rocking of the engine). More on that later....

- Jim
    Last edited by Alfaholical; 26-12-2012 at 10:05.

Rides
    Love projects like this

Rides
    Nice tunnel work

As an Ex Alfasud owner, and not a massive fan of the wet fart SR sound. Im surprised that I have no quarms about it. It think its great little project, and even the sound can be changed with the help of a NEO head

I'm sure I've a picture of a boosted Alfa twin cam somewhere, Any reason (I'm thinking development costs) that you didn't choose this route?
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo13 View Post

I'm sure I've a picture of a boosted Alfa twin cam somewhere, Any reason (I'm thinking development costs) that you didn't choose this route?
    Boosting the Alfa twink has been done lots but the gearbox is near its limits at 180hp and expensive to rebuild. The rear axle is good for nearly 300hp apparently though so an uprated prop connected to it should be fine.

- Jim