Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious insurance issue for the Nurburgring

Rides

Serious insurance issue for the Nurburgring

EDIT: Ive done some digging. The chance you you having insurance at the Ring, even third party only, are extremely slim. Be warned, hit a GT3 or hurt someone and you will most probably find yourself being pursued by your insurance company for every penny.

If any of you DO get written conformation from your insurers stating that they will cover you at the Ring then you will suddenly find yourself extremely popular! There are lots of people who want cover and just cannot get it. It seems to just not exist.

There is NO way Im risking losing everything to drive my car round the Ring so Im cutting the trip right down to Friday-Monday and am looking at hiring a car to take round when I get there.

Read this thread:

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...nsurance&mid=0

Our Tradex insurance policy specifically excludes the Nurburgring. Its written in black and white. We have looked at short term cover, no chance. We have looked at a full 12 month policy but we are still struggling to get cover. Its nothing to do with me or my car, its because lots of underwriters now specifically exclude the Nurburgring.

This is relevent to you lot because you might find that you arent insured either. Id phone your insurance guys to check.

Im a bit screwed now, not sure what the next step is. Just weighing up options.
    Last edited by bren; 18-05-2011 at 20:04.

Rides
    You tried these guys Bren??

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/

They do ring insurance on a daily basis.

Rides
    That is rather sh*te. Looking to save pennies wherever they can I guess. However... I am seeing more an more car's with Nurburgring decals on nowadays so maybe there have been a lot more claims?

Surely you can get track cover from somewhere? Are there any German Insurer's that may be able to help?

Rides
    we insure our drag car for road risks insurance with these people, be worth giving them a call as they are pretty clued up on this sort of thing,

http://www.competition-car-insurance...motorsport.htm

doh, too slow !!

3rd Overall 2016 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    7th Overall 2013 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    8th Overall 2012 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    9th Overall 2011 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    2nd Overall 2010 Prostreet drag series Shakespear County Raceway
    4th Overall in street class 2010 HKS drag series Santa Pod
    2nd Place TOTB IX RWD Drag Shoutout

Best 1/4 Mile ... 10.96 @ 132mph Santa Pod October 2nd 2010

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam View Post
    You tried these guys Bren??

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/

They do ring insurance on a daily basis.
    We tried them, they dont insure on a public day, only for organised closed circuit track days and then youre only insured for accidental damage, not third party liability.

I suggest you check your policy to see if you are actually covered as I now you were at the ring recently.

This is the email they sent:

Quote Originally Posted by Competition Car Insurance
    Subject: RE: Nurburg ring insurance

Ann,

We can only provide cover on the Nurburgring if the ring is closed to the public for an organised day.

If this is the case, we can only offer accidental damage cover for the vehicle and not any third party liability.

Thanks

Jennifer
    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    That is rather sh*te. Looking to save pennies wherever they can I guess. However... I am seeing more an more car's with Nurburgring decals on nowadays so maybe there have been a lot more claims?

Surely you can get track cover from somewhere? Are there any German Insurer's that may be able to help?
    Tried Adac, they wont cover us nor do they know anyone who will.

Quote Originally Posted by 800bhp View Post
    we insure our drag car for road risks insurance with these people, be worth giving them a call as they are pretty clued up on this sort of thing,

http://www.competition-car-insurance...motorsport.htm

doh, too slow !!
    See above.

My point is that you guys need to be really careful over your cover. Bikers fall off for fun at the Ring. You come bowling round a corner, run over a biker, find you have no insurance and thats potentially you complete screwed for life.

At the moment Im looking at hiring a car when we get there for just the Sunday and cutting the trip short. Going on Friday and coming back Monday rather than going Wednesday.

Rides
    I have been trying to sort insurance for ages now, UK companies will only cover you for accidental damage to your own car, for example - someone drives into you your car is covered but not thiers, the barriers or any other associated cost

Rides
    More to the point is that it appears that third party cover is difficult to get, i.e. if you kill someone youre not covered.

I dont care particularly about cover for damage to my own car (i.e. if I stuff it) I just dont want a half million pound lawsuit hanging over me for the rest of my life if I squash a biker.

Rides
    I thought everyone understood if you have an accident at the ring it was going to cost you bigtime whatever insurance you had. I told my insurance company I was going to germany and they were fine to cover me and the breakdown cover I got from the AA would have got me back to the UK. But I didn't specifically mention the Nürburgring.
    You take your chances I think.

Rides
    couple of companies listed here is you scroll down, no idea if you have tried them yet

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

Edit: although they do say "almost never include 3rd party"
    bstmeetbllk

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgers View Post
    I thought everyone understood if you have an accident at the ring it was going to cost you bigtime whatever insurance you had. I told my insurance company I was going to germany and they were fine to cover me and the breakdown cover I got from the AA would have got me back to the UK. But I didn't specifically mention the Nürburgring.
    You take your chances I think.
    i thought it was common sense that you wont be covered, on your normal insurance, its always said that at the bottom of mine. my current one has loads of restrictions.

tho there was a new rulign that they had to supply third party i dont know if thats BS.

Rides
    I dont think Im getting my point across here.

It would seem that lots of you guys might not have ANY cover whilst driving round the Nurburgring. The tourist days are NOT like a track day whereby the trackday company takes out public liability cover on your behalf. It if YOUR responsibility to be insured whilst on the Ring and if you are not and the worst happens and you kill someone then you may NOT have the necessary insurance.

This will NOT result in a couple of thousand pound bill, youre talking of a potential bill of many hundreds of thousands.

Rides
    bren you tried pace ward on mlr they seem to cover things like that well
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Automotive Performance Tuning - Tel:01603 870990
    Email: sales@ap-tuning.co.uk

FAST ROAD SPEC SR20'S from £3200 Details Here

Power FC Mapping - **Current remap deal!**

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    I dont think Im getting my point across here.

It would seem that lots of you guys might not have ANY cover whilst driving round the Nurburgring. The tourist days are NOT like a track day whereby the trackday company takes out public liability cover on your behalf. It if YOUR responsibility to be insured whilst on the Ring and if you are not and the worst happens and you kill someone then you may NOT have the necessary insurance.

This will NOT result in a couple of thousand pound bill, youre talking of a potential bill of many hundreds of thousands.
    we get that, you have zero, zilch nothing, we know that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo13 View Post
    couple of companies listed here is you scroll down, no idea if you have tried them yet

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

Edit: although they do say "almost never include 3rd party"
    We have tried them but no joy as yet although we are still waiting for some replies. But they offer cover to repair your own car should you crash it, I am not interested in that, I dont want a half million bill for putting someone into a wheel chair for life should something go wrong.

Heres a quote from that website:

Quote Originally Posted by www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance
    If you can be blamed for a multi-car crash on the Ring (say due to an oil leak from your car), the crash damage can easily run into hundreds of thousands of euros. Add in the potential for damages to other people and it could easily reach millions of euros to settle a claim. Add in the cross-border element and it becomes easy to see why insurers have zero interest in covering Touristfahrten driving for a small fraction of their customers.
    Do you get it now? You might well not be covered in the above scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by byebyegti View Post
    we get that, you have zero, zilch nothing, we know that.
    Doesnt that concern you? Would you be happy to drive on the roads in the UK with no cover when the chances of something happeneing are tiny compared to you having an incident at the Ring?

Scares the fook out of me, I must be getting old!

Rides
    Pace ward only cover for closed track days and you have to be an existing customer

Rides
    I think your right to be worried bren, it's not like you will be doing 30mph all the way round.

seems the ring is gonna be more and more difficult to go to safely.

Rides
    I was 100% not covered at the ring Bren, it seems standard with most insurance polices.

Although I wasn't to bothered about my car as it cost peanuts, but It did kind of spoil my enjoyment as I kept thinking that I didn't want a massive bill for hitting a barrier.

There is cases of people taking there insurance company to court for not paying out at the Nurburgring and winning. Check pistonheads, there is quite a few threads on there regarding it.
    Last edited by SX Sam; 18-05-2011 at 14:07.

Rides
    It's very worrying tbh, i know i can't afford for anything like that to happen

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post

Doesnt that concern you? Would you be happy to drive on the roads in the UK with no cover when the chances of something happeneing are tiny compared to you having an incident at the Ring?

Scares the fook out of me, I must be getting old!
    oh no i see your point, but if someone wont insuire you what else can you do about it? not go?

everyone who goes should seak proper insurance, if not its at your own risk. its Why the disclaimers were sent in the first place.

i know most of the people on our trip last year had no insurance at all on the ring.

Rides
    This is no different to how it is every year.

The Ring is a public toll road on tourist sessions, your insurance has to cover you 3rd party even if they say otherwise.

Your insurance company has to pay out to 3rd party, they will chase you for the amount, if I ended up with a bill for a HUGE amount, I'd transfer my house to another name and declare bankrupt.

Only way to do it.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13