Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious insurance issue for the Nurburgring

Rides
    One of my customers does trackday/motorsport insurance. I forgot to note down who he worked for before, but he's branching out on his own. I've just left a message for him to call me, mentioning that it was specifically the public open days that there was interest in

EDIT : Well, that was quick. It's not something he can do right now but he's looking at it very seriously and reckons he can have something put in place soon. He reckons you'd be looking at ~£150 per day for a £10,000 car with an excess of around £1500. I've got to state, I have had no dealings with the customer before a couple of weeks ago. I get the impression he's still in the process of getting his company set up, so I can't give any more details than the above at present. I have asked him to keep us in mind as and when he gets it sorted .
    Last edited by Cluck; 18-05-2011 at 15:38.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    My point is that you guys need to be really careful over your cover. Bikers fall off for fun at the Ring. You come bowling round a corner, run over a biker, find you have no insurance and thats potentially you complete screwed for life.
    Who is providing their insurance then? If no-one will insure you then its at your own risk, if you get flattened then how can you blame anyone else?

Cant work both ways can it?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Its not a race track, its a public road, if you run someone over then, irrespective of their insurance situation, I expect youre fooked. Just the same as if you did it on the A64 in the UK.

Rides
    Thats why I dont go anymore. No insurance cover. Not worth the risk.
    **Currently breaking**
    RX-8 191, RX-8 231

Rides
    Read the thread below, getting insurance, even third party only, is the impossible holy grail. It would appear that none of you are likely to have Ring insurance so none of you are covered. Screw the Ring for anything but track days or hiring someone elses cars.

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...nsurance&mid=0

Rides
    I've seen this written in lots of places:

"The Nurburgring Nordschleife is a one way toll road that is de-restricted at certain points. As I have stated on here before, any UK car insurance policy must legally provide 3rd party cover for the Nordschleife under EU law, regardless if it is specifically excluded in the terms and conditions of that policy. However if you do crash, and it was specifically excluded, the insurer can attempt to claim the 3rd party costs back from you."

Has anyone got any links/proof of where insurers have/haven't paid up/claimed back cash for a third party incident?

Rides
    Read the link I posted then decide if you want to risk it. Ive read it, Im not risking it.

Rides
    Interesting reading Bren, I'm not sure I understand how hiring a car over there helps you in the scenario you describe tho?

The ring scares me. I've never been and I'd like to drive it. But I wouldn't want to deal with the repurcussions of crashing.

Rides
    Im hiring a car specifically for the Ring, they come with insurance for use on the Ring I want an R26R Megane. Always liked them so this will be the ultimate test drive. Sadly Rob fancies a cheaper Clio 200 so we need to come to an agreement seeing as its half his money being spent!

Yum yum yum!

Last edited by bren; 18-05-2011 at 20:48.

Rides
    I reckon the Megane will be a right laugh round the ring

Rides
    Bren what are the rates to hire a car?
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Bren, I'll email you tomorrow... I might have a useful hiring contact for you

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    From my own personal experience you will not get raped for millions if something happens on the ring. I hit a biker in 2007 after she shot from one side of the track to the other across my bumper. A couple of months later I got a letter from my insurance company stating that her insurance company had been in touch and were trying to claim for her injuries and the damage to her R6.......I clarified that we were A. on the Nordschliefe and B. that there was a police report containing witness statements from two stewards who were travelling directly behind me stating that I could have done nothing to avoid the collision and that it was entirely her fault. My insurance company duly told her insurance company to do one*

I've been to the ring on quite a few occasions now and have never once heard of anyone having a claim pursued against them

*I presume they did because I never heard anything more about it

Clickme

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Im hiring a car specifically for the Ring, they come with insurance for use on the Ring I want an R26R Megane. Always liked them so this will be the ultimate test drive. Sadly Rob fancies a cheaper Clio 200 so we need to come to an agreement seeing as its half his money being spent!
    My friend hired a car when we were there, the excess was 2500 Euro's and you get fined if you take it over 7000rpm, I think it was 200 Euro's for every 100 revs every time you took it over that amount. They have a data logger in them to see what your doing. The guy said it was standard practice with every Ring hire company out there!

He only got a Suzuki Swift, still managed a 9.36 on his first ever lap of the Ring in a car he'd never driven

Heres a picture of it:

Last edited by SX Sam; 18-05-2011 at 23:18.

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Interesting reading...

http://www.leeds-solicitors.com/nurb...insurance.html

But is it factual?
    Yes.
    Now just a man!

Now just a man!
    Rides
    The rent-4-ring Swifts are a laugh, especially their higher stage ones
    Now just a man!

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by byebyegti View Post
    i thought it was common sense that you wont be covered, on your normal insurance, its always said that at the bottom of mine. my current one has loads of restrictions.

tho there was a new rulign that they had to supply third party i dont know if thats BS.
    There is but most insurance companies then have a "right to recover" meaning they will then come after you for that money...

Closed trackdays at the ring ftw... Done 3 so far and they are so much safer... Just not cheap.
    Now just a man!

Rides
    Ill check re the rev limit, thats an interesting point.

Hire rates here. You can get an all inclusive package with tickets and fuel but its a good 10% more expensive than doing it seperately and if you buy the tickets yourself you get to take away what you dont use and you also get free food from the Ring cafe.

http://www.rsrnurburg.com/index.php?...d=53&Itemid=96

One big benefit to us is that Rob wouldnt drive my V8 S14 as hed have to hand over a dirty great big pile of cash if he stuffed it. He is welcome to drive it but on the understanding that if he bends it hes bought it. Considering the latest batch of body work and new rims alone would be nearly £6k to replicate plus everything else thats been spent theres a serious sum of money tied up in the car. With a hire car you get two drivers included so he gets to play.

Im looking at flights now, we can go from Leeds Bradford airport (just round the corner) for £140 each return.
    Last edited by bren; 19-05-2011 at 07:43.

Rides
    If it's not a GTV6 then I'm not interested in hiring - and I can't afford them anyway so the 180's getting thrashed again.