Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious insurance issue for the Nurburgring

Rides
    It seems the only car available to hire that i can actually drive is €700 for 1 evening session, there is no way i can afford that so it looks like I will be driving round at risk

Rides
    What a cash cow that rev limit scam is. FFS, all they have to do is stick a rev limiter in and it's problem solved. They have done that intentionally to make money.

Anyway...Shame about the insurance situation guys :-( I really want to do 'burg some day!

Rides
    We are now looking at hiring a Swift each. Two low powered identical cars will be an absolute hoot

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    We are now looking at hiring a Swift each. Two low powered identical cars will be an absolute hoot
    So what days are you going on and when will you be at the hotel?
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Although I can respect that it saves money in the event of a crash, it seems like an awful lot of money to rent a car to drive there. Good luck mind

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Although I can respect that it saves money in the event of a crash, it seems like an awful lot of money to rent a car to drive there. Good luck mind
    Just looked at the link Bren posted and thought...................How ****ing much .

I think I will stick to the nurburgring on forza. I'd never be relaxed going there for real.

Rides
    Check the insurance with the hire cars. A lot of them have cover for the car and yourself, but won't cover damage to barriers/track closures etc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    So what days are you going on and when will you be at the hotel?
    Not sure now. If we arent driging the V8 then it seems a complete waste fo time going on Thursday to watch you lot for 2 hours. Fridays a waste of time as the tracks shut. That means we would be going just for Sunday. If we stick with the ferry then we would have to leave Friday and set off back Monday to arrive home Tuesday. Thats 3 days extra for one day on track and 12 hours driving.

Current thinking is to fly out Sat and home again Sun or Monday and go back out on the already paid ferry later in the year for a proper track day in my car. P&O have no problem with us rebooking for a later date and oly charge a tenner for the alterations.

If we fly out then I might have a massive favour to ask of you

Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Its only £265 for a Swift for a full day

Or £571 for a Clio 200 which youre allowed to do 16 laps in so shared between two is £285 a piece.

The R26R is £879 or £439 a piece if shared.

When you consider you can fly out for a chunk less money than the Hull Zeebrugge ferry and fuel costs (not to mention saving two full days travelling time) then its not too bad

Plus you wont get landed with a potential half million pound bill!

Quote Originally Posted by davesx View Post
    Check the insurance with the hire cars. A lot of them have cover for the car and yourself, but won't cover damage to barriers/track closures etc.
    That doesnt bother me, I will accept any vaugley affordable bill thats incurred due to my stupdity should I bin it, I just dont want to risk a really big bill.
    Last edited by bren; 19-05-2011 at 13:15.

Rides
    Go for the Stage 2 Swift Bren, it's the one my pal got!

Roll Cage, Upgraded suspension and R888's. The brakes were awesome as well

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    I was not aware of the insurance implicatins of visiting the ring. Always wanted to go but after reading this, I don't think I'll bother (unless I hire a car too).

I reckon I'll stick to UK trackdays once the 14a's chassis is re-done... And my long-planned trip through France

Rides
    The stage 1 also comes with half cage and R888s but I think the uprated brakes, harnesses and buckets would be a wise idea!

Just do a track day at the Ring rather than a tourist day. Im goign to try to plan another trip for later this year going to Spa for a track day and then onto the Ring for another. Use up our ferry booking.

Rides
    That doesnt bother me, I will accept any vaugley affordable bill thats incurred due to my stupdity should I bin it, I just dont want to risk a really big bill.
    What's a really big bill?

•Base fee for attendance of armco truck: €150
    •Removing damaged armco: €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
    •Replacement armco: €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
    •Removing damaged armco posts: €5.10 each
    •Replacing armco post: €39 each
    •Safety car attendance: €82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
    •Circuit closure: €1,350 per hour
    •Recovery truck: €190 (inc VAT)
    Smallish section of armco can quickly tot up to £5K

Rides
    Thats not a big bill. And thats nothing compared to the loss of totaling the S14. Im fully prepared ot total a car and a few grand payout for armco. In all the years Ive been doing track stuff I can only once remember spinning off a proper track and that was 13 years ago at my first track day ever in my old 2wd Sapphire Cosworth. Ive spun pratting around at Elvington but thats a different thing. I dont mind that risk, Im pretty sensibe on track.

A big bill is one that will f@ck you up for the rest of your life which is what will happen if you really hurt someone without insurance. If some tw@t falls off on his bike in front of you (bearing in mind that bikers fall off left right and centre round the Ring) and you hit him then I dont want to have to fight tooth and nail to avoid paying every penny I earn out in compensation for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by bren; 19-05-2011 at 14:10.

Rides
    Im goign to try to plan another trip for later this year going to Spa for a track day and then onto the Ring for another. Use up our ferry booking.
    Now that sounds like a plan

Rides
    Were going over at the beginning of October Bren.

Spa Trackday is £249 open pit all day, and then there is a Nurburgring Trackday a couple of days later!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX Sam View Post
    Were going over at the beginning of October Bren.

Spa Trackday is £249 open pit all day, and then there is a Nurburgring Trackday a couple of days later!
    The man with the plan! Awesome! What dates and who are the track days booked through? Are you going from Hull?

Rides
    I asked baout the rev limit thing, this is what they said:

"It's 7500 thats the fineable limit - and 7200 is the revlimiter!"

Edited to say: Fooking arrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH

I cant find any flights from Leeds on Sat so wed have to come out Friday (no biggie) but the retun flight on Monday doesnt leave until 9.30pm!

Edit again: Ryanair have a special place reserved in hell. Just went through the whole booking procedure, got to payment, click to pay, their website goes t1ts. Go through to book again and the exact same flights are now £12 more expensive. Loving that!
    Last edited by bren; 19-05-2011 at 15:50.

Rides
    Not to sure on dates yet Bren, the Spa trackday is on the 2nd of October, and the Nurburgring is rumored to be on the 4th of October, but the dates haven't been released yet! Were probably going to Amsterdam on the 29th of September and then do the rest of the trip on the chosen dates. I'm doing Cannonball Ireland in September so it's going to be a busy car month

100% doing Hull - Rotterdam, Dover - Calais was an absolute nightmare!

Also, you should have cleared your cache and waited 20 minutes, I guarantee the flight would have gone back down
    Last edited by SX Sam; 20-05-2011 at 21:16.

Rides
    Iv just got back from the ring, I got lucky on northloop forum and got 16 laps for around £220ish, that would have cost €310ish buying them properly, trackdays at the ring were advertised around €300 ish at the hotel I was at (blue ecke). There is no doubt next time id be looking at trackday at the ring, less risk, less money for more laps, win.
    Anyway your plans are made, your all about to head out, just have some common sense out there and enjoy yourselves, the ring is awsome, the surounding roads are awesome, Germany is awesome.
    ps, we were up and down the country like a yo yo, for anybody going to or from Holland, a61 is shit, mostly speed limits, a3 is awesome.
    Last edited by immy21; 20-05-2011 at 21:42.

Rides
    Just checked my insurer: Nordschleife: NOT excluded.

Artikel 4 Wat is uitgesloten
    schade die is veroorzaakt tijdens het deelnemen aan wedstrijden waarbij het aankomt op snelheid;

In english:
    What's excluded
    damage caused while participating in races where it comes to speed;
    As i am not going to trash around the track its good

p.s. is drifting ensured, its not all about speed
    Last edited by kees; 21-05-2011 at 07:57. Reason: added something.