Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SR13 - BDC 2011.5? Drift Project.

Rides

SR13 - BDC 2011.5? Drift Project.

Last car was followed on here @ Road & Track RB S13 Project - SXOC Bulletin Board 17.500 views!

Likes Flames

Loved the car, its done me proud and never missed a beat, which is why its too nice to drift! So tidy with the interior intact and couldn't bring myself to stripping it out. This was sold to a lad from portugal,

So made a decision, after getting my BDC Semi-Pro license at Teesside the other week I fancy a bit of competing. Which means cage, stripped out, extinguisher, isolators etc... Looking at many cars pre-built to some sort of BDC spec I have decided to stop being a pussy and build my own.

Looking to go:

1) Stripped Out
    2) Tubbed Arches Front
    3) Full Roll Cage
    4) Fuel Cell
    5) DW Suspension etc = LOCK MODS
    6) Polycarbonate windows
    7) Carbon Roof / Bonnet / Tailgate / Doors?
    8) Rocket Bunny Spoiler?
    9) Gunna paint it in Galvafroid (Galvanised Spray Paint) its free!
    10) Sr20det to basic tune, 300bhp ish
    11) Basic Aero Mods.

Well, after a 14 hour solid drive and 730 miles, including the M25 when the champions league final is on! I picked up the new shell yesterday.

It was formerly Ganders and Initial-J's yet (with respect to the previous owners) has been thrown around a bit. Needs a through going over, tidying up and a re-build.

Thats what I bought it for and will stripping it back to nothing within the next couple days. Needles to say I bought it for the cage which is pretty wicked and will save me a huge amount of time.

Here are some pics of the car as I got home,

I left at 5 in the morning, got back at 9 at night!

Progress the next day, removed the wings, bumpers, full chassis loom and dash.

Got the new shell up on stands, stripped the wheels and bits of the suspension off, looks clean. Just need to get it back to nothing tomorrow ready for paint inside and tidying up. Also checked over and re-soldered a SR CA loom I bought.

Stripped the car, took of the front chassis loom, dash, interior carpet etc. Removed all front suspension components, bonnet, tailgate and dropped the rear subframe off the car.

Going to remove the sound deadening and paint the inside black, fuel tank is to re-mount and going to cut of for tubber arches through the week.

Rides
    Burned the sub frame mounts off and chiselled the liners out ready for some solid ones. Un-decided how far to take the rear end, my last car worked pretty well with just camber arms so may just bush it up. Diff cooler was scrapped, as like the last 3 I’ve taken off, only pumping dust anyway.

Anyway some pics of the day, BBQ was on the go at the same time, good crack!

Paraffin loves sub frame bushes!

Oh and tip of the day! Dont walk around the inside a shell with nothing on the front end but with the rear subframe still intact, went sx surfing today when it fell off the axle stands! lol

Bought some parts, 1.6k worth of parts for less than half that! Needed some cleaning up tho but my god they came up nice. Classfields Rule:

Tein HE Drift Spec Coilovers
    All apex rear alignment arms and front bottom arms
    Whiteline adjustable anti roll bars front and rear

Been cleaning the rear subframe up with a wire brush (Horrible work)
    Inspired by steady-eddies project thred on D/W, beefed up the rear subframe with some plating and seam welding. http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...-possible.html

Then cleaned it up and gave it a coat of underseal.

Also cleaned up the front lower arms, wire brused everthing and applied ample amounts of copper grease.

Solid rear subframe bushes in and attached the camber and control arms.

Also a pic of the cleaned up whiteline ARB's.

Braced the front cross members / tension rod mounts with some steel plate.

Also cut some ver large holes ready for some tubbed action.

Rides
    Mate was around and took some pictures with his phone, 10x better quality than mine! :euge:

Rides
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 25-07-2011 at 10:23.

Rides
    Got a week of work this week so finally managing to get some work done, expect some huge updates as I put paint on the car and build it back up.

Been busy over the last couple weeks tho in prep for my holidays and got the front end / engine bay sorted:

AND TIP OF THE DAY!

Dont use builders expansion joint sealant as a seam sealer. Never really went hard and did not take pait! This was then removed and re-done.

This was re-done with proper automotive / marine sealer. Top job! Here are some pics of the finished article.

Not the best welder in the world but its strong and looks alright.

Bought some track rods and rod ends, apex performance items, machined a couple mill off the ends for good measure, allows them to enter the rack further.

Going to fit them with one 3mm spacer each side.

Oh and this turned up:

Rides
    Build some of the suspension back up.

Not sure bout these spacers however.

Sold the back sx and went shopping:

Bought:

Carbon Tailgate
    Carbon Bonnet
    Polycarbonate windows
    Carbon Canards
    Front Pipe
    Decat
    Cat Back (All 3")
    52mm Alluminium Rad
    Mocal Oil cooler kit
    Fire-Extinguisher
    Battery Cut-Off switches / pull cord
    FMIC from a 180sx
    Steady Eddie Front Hub knuckles!
    Heat Wrap and some more paint

Still looking for a gearbox and some decent wheels.

Copied the first few posts from over on D/W. Sorry for the pic heavy opening.

More updates daily this week.
    Cheers for the comments.
    Ian

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Looking good Ian

Where'd you get the bonnet from? It looks awesome!

Rides
    SRB Its a one -off apparently

Rides
    very nice looking stuff mate

Rides
    Baws LOL I need to get me a vented bonnet. Don't think I have coolant issues, but I'm not happy with the level of heat under the bonnet.

Rides
    This is going to be full of awesome

Nice build

Rides
    Looking sweet so far!!!!

Rides
    Cheers guys, always gunna have heat to deal with in drifting so the more vents the better imo!

Progress today,

Put new brake lines on the car (all four corners).

Inspected and added to the P-clipping of the fuel / brake lines.

Pic of the perspex rear, was sm's on here for those who recognise it, plan on leaving the sxoc and apex stickers in place doing away with the yellow though.

Exhaust arrived, 3" straight pipe, polishing up a treat too. 100% stainless.

Finished bolting up the front end with some of Steady Eddies modified hub knuckles, awesome bit of craftsmanship gone into these, ends shortened for more lock and lowered to reduce bump steer and stress on the track rods. Full of win.

[IMG]ttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284439_10150719519865063_849450062_19603955_309323 1_n.jpg[/IMG]

Some pics of the wheels fitted although the actual tyre was fowling on the chassis and front tension rod here, going to space it out and go for a little more. Front brakes are staying standard for now although have new green stuff pads fitted.

Oh and I have NO rack spacers fitter whatsoever!

More progress tomorrow, although I also have a freelander engine to change (tow vehicle)

Cheers for the comments, really boost your motivation on something like this.
    Ian

Rides
    **** me Ian, you don't hang about

Rides
    Off work dude, have it running by the end of the week! lol Was just thinking bud, was it you that was looking at my boxed out rear on the black rb'd sx? Kept it when it went if your interested? http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=505173

Rides
    thats class, does it still have the rear wider overfenders fitted?? it kinda looks like it does from some of the angles but not others,

that cage is epic, i want one lol

Rides
    I was Ian.....

I'm skint just now, but I'll keep an eye on it. £50 collected yeah?

You coming to the Crail day at the end of Aug? Might be a good shake down Or are you hitting up the BDC @ Knocky round?

Rides
    Crail or Teesside will be the shake down, hopefully make both.

Didnt get much done today been changing a freelander engine, fitted the exhaust tho, I think its epic and only cost me £50.

Rides
    Some little bits of progress, made a brace for the front tension rod holders.

Fettled the front suspension geometry and put her back on the ground. Got the tracking and camber good at a guess for now.

Cleaned up the perspex ready to go in and bled the brakes.

Fuel lines need a bit of fabrication work and need to box the cell out from the cabin. Next job.

Ian

Rides
    slick project pal. looking forward to more updates.