Thread: Career change

Rides

Career change

I'm looking to train up in something and finally settle into a career... engineering, something electrical maybe or even something automotive just not kwik fit working on bangers for £2.50 an hour!
    I'm not sure where to go really my grades aren't amazing not because I'm thick but I just wasn't interested in school when I was at school lol! Dohh! I'm reaping what I sown I guess!

I've always worked done loads of stuff mainly construction (labouring, groundworking, quality control for a concrete admixtures co and more recently have done abit of shop fitting)

Thing is I'm 26 what options do I have I think I'm too old for an apprenticeship?
    I've had a look around the net and haven't really found anything conclusive, I'm good with my hands and very practically minded which is where my love of anything cars comes from!!

Any ideas? I need a shove in the right direction, I thought about going job centre and seeing if they have some sort of career advice although they're not the most helpful of people in my experience!

Anyone know of company's that are willing to train people like me up and give me a future lol I'm willing and can turn my hands at most things
    Last edited by rearwheelsteer; 25-07-2011 at 23:21.

Rides
    Its never too late dude, Im 26 and just started work after uni. Try a HND or HNC I didnt have amazing grades at A level. I did a HND, then degree now an engineer at JLR

Rides
    Starting a proper career at 26 isnt as easy as starting one at 16 but is easier than doing it at 36
    With your past work experience and history i recon you would be best in a trade like plumbing, joinery or a sparky - all of these spend time in the environments you are used to so should be a natural choice for a career path i would have thought.

As above, HNC and HND's at local colleges are the first step, then its what ever training and teaching required to gain proper qualification for your choice of job.

Dont cross over to the dark side (IT) for two reasons, 1 you wont like it as its nothing like your previous history (desk bound a lot) and 2 it will sned you to an early grave

Rides
    Lol thanks dudes! I need to sort something soon I'm as good as redundant pretty soon my contract comes to an end and the last thing I want to do is sell my silv aswell

Rides
    Shame your not further south more Oxford area as my company is after people for around that general area I'll pm you my company if your interested email them your cv it's all on the website

Rides
    Try for an apprenticeship if you can, excellent foot in the door way although the wages are low initially.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by itrhondaboy View Post
    Shame your not further south more Oxford area as my company is after people for around that general area I'll pm you my company if your interested email them your cv it's all on the website
    Cheers dude much appreciated

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelsteer View Post
    Cheers dude much appreciated
    No probs like i said I think they're sorted in that area but I'm not sure in the surrounding areas

Rides
    Definitely not too old to start mate, my cousin had an array of jobs growing up (working in a bank was one) but wasn't happy so he trained as an electrician when he was 30 and now works for Smith and Byford.

In hindsight I wish I had learned a trade in my early 20s and probably would have done if I hadn't have had a lucky break in IT

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Dont cross over to the dark side (IT) for two reasons, 1 you wont like it as its nothing like your previous history (desk bound a lot) and 2 it will sned you to an early grave
    +1 Everyone is jumping in computers to make there millions its making areas like web design and graphic design really hard as prices are getting silly now

I recently looked at starting importing car parts but thanks to this stupid country the exchange rate and import tax made the profit very small indeed

Open your own tyre and exhaust shop keep your prices cheap and friendly and happy customer service that and working your ass off should make some money.

Not like there isn't enough empty units going for free or very little.

Rides
    Big ol' bump but my situation is almost exactly the same as the o/p ie; thoroughly bored of the fast fit auto trade. I also fancy building or sparky (anything pratical really) but a proper trade rather than just another job. I honestly think I may be depressed, what with the way things have developed over the past 3 years. Seriously, I work long hours, am usually bored or stressed, money is "okay" but only because I work the hours, no future whatsoever, don't really like any of the staff I'm with and my social life is absolutly none exsistant.

Where can I get some proper, impartial advice about HNC/HNDs and the like ? Most colleges seem to just want to flog a course and jobcentres are totally useless unless on long term benefits. Honesly, I went into one a few monthsa go and they refused to even talk to me when I confirmed I wasn't on benefits.

Currently have not much money, but no debts and no dependencies or anything.

Rides
    My lodger applied for a job at a local ship building firm in my town. he is 25 and was applying for a job as a steelworker which was all trades in one(welding/sheet metalwork/plating)He was told he would do one years training then go onto full pay. No apprentiship. He never got the job but is re-applying this year

Rides
    Have you ever thought about joining one of the services, such as the Fire brigade, Police service ect?

Rides
    Due to government cut backs most local authority fire services won't be recruiting for a few years, most are looking to close stations. I used to work for Kent Fire & Rescue, they are in the process of closing eight stations, London are now closing ten.