Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you weld do you wear a

Rides

When you weld do you wear a

Respiratory mask Disposable or Respirators?

or just breath the air in?

Rides
    welding normal steel and stainless are fine to breathe the air in, for welding galvanised steel you should really wear a respirator.

Rides
    If you are degreasing with trichloroethylene or similar substances, the welding can produce Phosgene gas, which is not a very nice thing at all. Note this is not just related to galvanised but all welding.

Fumes from glavanised welding can be carcinogenic and the fumes tend to make you feel very ill

Rides
    I only ever weld steel but got in to wearing masks but everyone else knows don't bother and its costing me £35-45 a time.

Rides

Rides
    You could get a respirator from an army surplus store, not sure if they'd have any filters though

Rides
    just read all the above poster... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Rides
    but where do you draw the line?. when you grind the welds back with an angle grider do you wear a face mask/goggle/ear defenders/gloves.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    but where do you draw the line?. when you grind the welds back with an angle grider do you wear a face mask/goggle/ear defenders/gloves.
    yeah mask, goggles and gloves

I have used the ear plugs when i was grinding under the car and wheel arch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    Depends how you value your health.

Metal particles in the eyes - I know someone it happened to who had to have his eye balls washed

And dust and shit from grinding, breathed in will do you no good.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Depends how you value your health.

Metal particles in the eyes - I know someone it happened to who had to have his eye balls washed

And dust and shit from grinding, breathed in will do you no good.
    Most engineering companies will have some liquid for washing eyes, not sure what it is but the only difficult part of it is trying to keep your eye open whilst someone pours water on your eyeball.
    A splinter in the eyeball is more worrying, I had one a few years ago.
    They involve the hospital, some sort of anaesthetic to numb the eye and in my case a rather attractive Australian nurse holding a sowing needle above my eye and telling me it won't hurt.

Rides
    That article is proper

Similar sort of eye story to Rapid, I had something blown into my eye, went to the eye clinic and nurse says "yes I can see it, hmm, I could just take it out, hmm, maybe I should wait for the consultant". Consultant arrives and says "That is just pigment in his iris, the problem is a flake of perspex stuck under his eye lid".

She had been so close to trying to remove a part of my eye, not the foreign body in it!

-James

Rides
    Been to the hospital tonight with something in my eye, got there about 12:30 and decided to leave at about 4am as there was still loads waiting before me so I still have something in my eye meaning I can't see properly out of my left eye

Rides
    I've been to A&E twice this year to have bits fished out of my eyes. Working underneath a car is a pain in the arse, if you can at all roll the car over you should do that. It certainly beats spending hours in the waiting room in quite some pain too.

I usually wear goggles when grinding, but the tiny flecks of rust seem to get through the vents and I think thats how they get in.

Mask and gloves for grinding seems a bit excessive though. I've had a few cuts though this year off the angle grinder too, the worst one was the time I took the guard off for some reason, as that was a deep and wide gouge out of my finger... All healed fine now though.

Rides
    If i was welding as a job everyday all day then more than likely id wear everything possible but a occasional bit of welding for a couple of minutes dont use anything except a mask (visual). Grinding i try to wear googles as much as possible. A mask is a good shout though after blowing rusty bogies after.

Rides
    I always wear a mask when painting with a gun. And if I'm doing enough work with a rattle can too.

Also I wear one when rubbing filler back too. That stuff is just as evil as the paint

For welding I dont but then if I'm doing something that was galvanised I always grind it back first anyway. Welds like shit if you dont.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    For welding I dont but then if I'm doing something that was galvanised I always grind it back first anyway. Welds like shit if you dont.
    I try to do it outdoors, and weld for a few seconds then retreat while the fumes blow away... They aren't very nice.

Rides
    I always wear goggles, ear defenders and leather gloves when grinding and often a mask if I'm grinding rust. I tend not to wear a respirator when welding but I think I probably should- galvanised is very bad to breathe in, but even untreated steel is not good, especially if you factor in burning underseal...

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid View Post
    Been to the hospital tonight with something in my eye, got there about 12:30 and decided to leave at about 4am as there was still loads waiting before me so I still have something in my eye meaning I can't see properly out of my left eye
    Rapid, I too have been to the hospital a few times to have stuff dug out of my eyes, its not a nice experience, but I'm sure I've been told (probably), that if the foreign object isnt removed pretty quick (within 24hours?) the eyeball will skin over and it retreats back so it cant be pulled out?

Rides
    I went back this morning when they had more than 1 doctor on and there was still people waiting from last night.
    It was a fairly large piece of metal, about 1mm square so now have to put some antibiotic cream on my eyeball 4 times a day for a week whilst the rust clears.

Rides
    Can you get some more of the cream, I think my S14 could use some!
    Hope it gets sorted fella.