Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new watch

Rides
    take a look around Timezone.com, Watchuseek, watchprosite, the watch forum, PMWF, TZ-UK

Online dealers look at Blowers, and Chronomaster both have excellent reputations.

What is it you are after?
    Dress
    Divers/sporty
    Pilot
    Chrono

£1500 is a funny price bracket for second hand - there is not much around, plenty of stuff higher and lower.

look at
    Anonimo - offshoot from Panerai
    Ball - brand new (tritium tubes as lume which is interesting) I like their big pilot watch and the Hydrocarbon range.
    Oris - some really good 'dive/sport' and brand new in your bracket. Carlos Costa, and the regul;ator are my fave's
    Sinn
    Nomos
    Plenty of sub lookylikes with good quality movments and sapphire crystal from people like Marcelllo C, Grovana, Debaufre etc and all <500 so you can add another to the collection
    Zenith - Rainbow flyback with the allegedly best chrono movement ever made 'El Primero'
    Corum - Admirals cup range
    Chopard Mille Miglia - nice

WatchUseek are full of small ateliers chucking out phenominal quality pieces in small numbers - unique rather the common as muck rolex and omega's

just look around the sites.
    just to name a few

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyhx View Post
    tend to agree to a certain extent - excellent watch, but still relatively common for me - I like to be a bit off the beaten track.

I have 10 watches ranging in retail price from £50 - £12,500 and not one is a common brand. I have 1 totally bespoke unique watch, and one which is number 41 of 50, a tourbillon. Each one has to have a 'feature' which makes it different from the rest.
    PVD,
    chrono,
    retrograde,
    power reserve,
    titanium,
    regulator,
    toubillon,
    California dial,
    For £1500 it really isnt going to be a rare but fine piece. I'd love a tourbillion but unfortunately I couldnt justify the price tag to myself. That said, if I won the lottery I would be straight down to Bond Street to put my money down on a Jager le Coutre Gyro Tourbillon.

Out of curiosity what is the tourbillon? Even £12.5k is very cheap for a decent branded tourbillon.
    Last edited by Alany; 07-08-2011 at 12:19.

Rides
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I know I'm not going to a get a Rolex or Omega new for £1500, should have said that was the max I want to pay for now.......

However I may put it off for a bit as just found 18K and SS Oyster Perpetual Datejusts with jewelled face for £3K

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alany View Post
    For £1500 it really isnt going to be a rare but fine piece. I'd love a tourbillion but unfortunately I couldnt justify the price tag to myself. That said, if I won the lottery I would be straight down to Bond Street to put my money down on a Jager le Coutre Gyro Tourbillon.

Out of curiosity what is the tourbillon? Even £12.5k is very cheap for a decent branded tourbillon.
    Tourbillon is a cheapy Chinese jobbie I'm afriad - cheapy being relative of course. It scratched that itch for the ultimate horological complication without breaking the bank. Its still fascinating to watch it go round (it is a real tourby not one of those fake open face ones you can get)

http://www.watches-tourbillon.com/De...FdFc4Qodkzssxw

http://www.tourbillonwatches.com/tou...n-watches.html

mines pretty much the same as this but stainless - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001S4SPFE

the £12,500 is a Girard Perregaux. And that is the current retailprice NOT what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I know I'm not going to a get a Rolex or Omega new for £1500, should have said that was the max I want to pay for now.......

However I may put it off for a bit as just found 18K and SS Oyster Perpetual Datejusts with jewelled face for £3K
    you will struggle for a rolex second hand for £1500. Rolex hold their value astonishingly well despite not really being that special and also being very common. Such is the power of a brand name

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_s13 View Post
    if its just as a bit of jewellery (and i may get flamed for this) just buy a rep http://swissreplica.co.uk/
    Thats just a little bit sad though
    Last edited by sparkyhx; 07-08-2011 at 20:38.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyhx View Post

you will struggle for a rolex second hand for £1500. Rolex hold their value astonishingly well despite not really being that special and also being very common. Such is the power of a brand name
    Funny, I've found a considerable amount for £1500 just by looking on the net

I do a lot of work for these guys at the moment, wondering if they'd give me considerable discount

http://www.louisvuitton.com/uk/info/...ton-watch.html
    Last edited by AshT_200; 07-08-2011 at 22:19.

Rides
    I've got a Breitling Colt Ocean. If I was to get another watch it would be something like a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso. But then I'd also be tempted to get a Navitimer too. List is endless.

My own rule is that whatever I get it has to be a mechanical movement. I don't see the point otherwise in buying a fine craft quartz watch.

A nice watch I bought for just £60 was actually a Swatch. It's automatic and it shows a lot of detail in the movement. At that price I can be careless with it whereas the Breitling I only wear when I know I won't lose it or damage it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Funny, I've found a considerable amount for £1500 just by looking on the net

I do a lot of work for these guys at the moment, wondering if they'd give me considerable discount

http://www.louisvuitton.com/uk/info/...ton-watch.html
    LV's unless you can get a serious discount or really really like the watch don't bother - overpriced ETA based fashion watches (sorry that my sound a bit snobby) - many of small manufacturer watches use ETA movements and prices start at around £500 and TBH they are probably manufactured in smaller numbers than the LV and therefore more exclusive.

Rolex - buyer beware on the net there are a LOT of very very good fakes out there. Maybe I am thinking of sub's on the price front, Oysters Airkings and Datejust will be cheaper, and especially if over 20 years old. If buying private buy local and meet them to possibly get it authenticated first.

edit - looked at Blowers and even 40 year old stainless datejusts watches are commanding >£1500

Seriously where are you looking??? - I have found 1 under £1500 from about half a dozen sites (obviously not a huge sample) and that is a pretty bad 1952 watch with no box or papers.

EDIT AGAIN - I see there are a few on fleabay most 40-60 years old - beware there are several mid size (34mm) ones there mascarading as gents - 34mm is really small and by todays standards a ladies watch. Others where the size isn't even mentioned - but they look small. - worth a question if your looking at those.

Also many US - customs tax would be pot luck then.
    Last edited by sparkyhx; 08-08-2011 at 13:03.

Rides
    Bump. What did you go with Ash? Same budget to what i am looking to spend, but totally flummoxed at moment and don't really understand watches

Rides
    I'll sell you a omega constallation if you like its the gold and silver version can post pics if you like

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymbob View Post
    I'll sell you a omega constallation if you like its the gold and silver version can post pics if you like
    Lovely watch but i don't do gold mate, clashes with my hair

Rides
    I've currently got a thing for rado watches

Rides
    Good call, what did you buy Ash?

I'm really tempted by a Daytona at the mo

Rides
    Thoughts on an oris tt1 674 metal strap with black dial and bezel? If i can find it in budget? Struggling to actually find anywhere to sell me one straight forward

Rides
    I like ORIS and my brother has a really nice one.

EDIT: got mixed up on the models
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 16-09-2011 at 23:26.

Rides
    I'm not a fan of Rolex's. But for that budget there are plenty of classic watches for you to buy. Don't overlook high end Jap watches either such as King Seiko's or high end Citizens. I have a few classic watches. I bought this 1950's Omega Seamaster at the start of the summer. It has been totally refurbished.

Rides
    I also have a 1955 Omega Constellation automatic.

This 1970s Camy Genéve automatic:

Early 1980's Ruhla manual wind watch. Made in the DDR behind the Iron Curtain:

And have just bought this 1975 Trans Continents automatic "pimp watch"
    (Trans Continents are a division of Citizen Watch Co. that are made and only sold in Japan).

Last edited by markcro; 16-09-2011 at 23:42.

Rides
    Love the Ruhla

Rides
    And last year I bought my GF this 1974 Omega Genéve automatic.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Love the Ruhla
    It's Commie ugly! But it's a piece of history. Actually for a Commie watch it's not that bad actually as most East German Commie stuff is awful tacky crap.

I would like one of these but they are pricey!! Grand Seiko or King Seiko:
    http://www.roachman.com/private.html

But they are the most accurate mechanical watch- a pure engineering masterpiece.
    Last edited by markcro; 16-09-2011 at 23:51.