Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new watch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    http://www.christopherward.co.uk/wat...9-jh-sstr.html

Have two watches from these guys, one's an auto, and I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with both. Very good value for money and not too many people have them. Loads of people comment on how nice they look.
    Christopher Ward seem to have upped their game quite a bit recently, I used to think their designs were a bit dated but they seem to be coming out with some really nice stuff now.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    i have a vintage 1952 omega seamaster in gold that was only £300 from an antiques fair,

maybe try something vintage, nothing quite like a mechanical watch for craftsmanship
    Stick up a photo of it. I much prefer the simple clean face of vintage watch to all the clutter and mess of modern watches.

Rides
    Tag Carrera all day long! £1850 from most good retailers

or... treat yourself to a 2 week holiday in Thailand and buy perfect replicas, all in for under £1500

Rides
    I can notice the difference with the replicas. Some of them are getting much better though.

How good are those replicas, linked to earlier on in this thread?

Rides
    The ricer in me wants a Montbrillant. I'm a long way off before I can afford to drop several K on a watch though

Rides
    I bought one of these around 6 months ago, love it.

Roles Submariner next

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Funny, I've found a considerable amount for £1500 just by looking on the net

I do a lot of work for these guys at the moment, wondering if they'd give me considerable discount

http://www.louisvuitton.com/uk/info/...ton-watch.html

At Xmas they tend to do a staff discount of 50-70%, not sure if that extends to watches (and I think the own TAG as well) but ask a member of staff

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    I can notice the difference with the replicas. Some of them are getting much better though.

How good are those replicas, linked to earlier on in this thread?
    replicas have come on a long way in recent years. When i was in Chiang Mai at christmas one of the traders took me to his 'stock room' and showed me the 4 types of replica

Chinese - circa £20 cheap and you'll know its a replica
    Taiwanese - circa £25 Better quality and still cheap
    Japanese grade B - Circa £40-£50 Near perfect watch but the straps still let them down
    Top quality Japanese grade A - £200-300 you cannot tell the differemce

I got a couple of grade b jap watches and they're awesome. I meet with all sorts of posh tarts through work and it has them all fooled.

if you got the money though, you cannot beat real Tag IMO, stylish, fashionable, beautiful and all the young trendy cool katz are wearing them

Rides
    My next decent watch will be a Luminox Blackbird special edition.

Probably not what your after image wise, but its an engineering masterpiece.

At about £1200 its no flash all action. Its a full on diving watch issued to the US pilots. I had a Luminox black-ops and the thing was unbelievably strong. It finally gave up the ghost after somebody took a swing at me with a crowbar and it hit the face.

I had some dealings with an American colonel some time back and he clocked my watch. He said "gee all the heroes wear those things, and the zeros wear Breitlings"

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Decided against buying anything in the end.

Went out and had a feel of the Tag Carreras, Omega Seamasters, Oris F1's, Hamiltons, and a few others and the only thing I could find that I really felt was pulling me towards it was the Tag, but I don't like the strap colours, and I'd be damned I can pay £2.6k for something I'm not entirely comfortable with. Got the Oris F1 down to £1500 in the end but again, it didn't feel like £1500 worth of watch - the quality of the Tag actually shone out past it compared but I couldn't justify the budget.

This all coincided with getting my mortgage statement through and taking a depressing look at the reality of negative equity and compound interest. Nothing quite as eye opening as this.
    And now I'm doing it all again!

Mortgage is looking a bit healthier now, as is bank balance, but I'm looking cheaper - like sub £1k if I can, certainly sub £2k.

Hamilton watch I really like:
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collect...rono/h40686335

Can anyone find it in UK for the 'muurican price? I've found it in one place over here at circa £1400 but the price in dorrah is $1300 ish on some websites so it must be able to be had for more like a grand!

Only problem with that is that it then leaves me with a problem as it's not what I'd call a 'suited and booted' watch. So I'd have to buy one of those too - and I've got this one in mind:
    http://www.dreyfussandco.com/the-wat...b00071-04.aspx

It appears this could get even more costly - should have just bought the Oris originally

Rides
    did you look at christopher ward in the end. I was looking at my brother in laws one and there fantastic quallity.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    I didn't, no. I haven't found one that I like so much tbh

Rides
    "Hamilton watch"????
    Does it crash into the wearers other arm a lot?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    "Hamilton watch"????
    Does it crash into the wearers other arm a lot?
    That one does, cos it's black innit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrodave View Post
    replicas have come on a long way in recent years. When i was in Chiang Mai at christmas one of the traders took me to his 'stock room' and showed me the 4 types of replica

Chinese - circa £20 cheap and you'll know its a replica
    Taiwanese - circa £25 Better quality and still cheap
    Japanese grade B - Circa £40-£50 Near perfect watch but the straps still let them down
    Top quality Japanese grade A - £200-300 you cannot tell the differemce

I got a couple of grade b jap watches and they're awesome. I meet with all sorts of posh tarts through work and it has them all fooled.

if you got the money though, you cannot beat real Tag IMO, stylish, fashionable, beautiful and all the young trendy cool katz are wearing them
    Out of interest, where can you find the grade a & b watches?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by j25t View Post
    My mate used some sites on the net - puretime.co and timeshop.net, but they kept getting taken down when the manufacturers found out...

He's got a load of the £200 fakes (Tag Monaco, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Deep Sea Dweller, Panerei, IWC Big Pilot etc) and you are really pushed to tell the difference between them and a real one unless you know what to look for (etched crown in the glass of the Rolex is usually the giveaway, but you really have to look closely). As said, if you do a side by side the etching and 'feel' of the straps aren't as good as a real one (the markings on my Daytona clasp are much more defined, and it just feels a lot better quality), but on the wrist you can't tell..

The only other thing is that usually they aren't waterproofed - even models like the Deep Sea Dweller have zero waterproofing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by j25t View Post
    *cough* *splutter*

http://www.tswatch2004.com/10839-br4...-28800bph.html

how do you tell what is grade A and what is B etc on that site?

Rides
    Hmm

If they really do look like this ....

http://www.tswatch2004.com/14793-om1...-ru-a7750.html

Rides
    I quite like the Mp4-12C watch myself, and another Tag.

If Nitrodave or anyone wants to lend their knowledge of how the grading system works..................