Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OEM+ S14a

Rides

OEM+ S14a

Howdy, some may remember i had a thread previous to this one but my photobucket was hacked so i lost everything. So here goes attempt 2!

Myself and my father are big into cars, mainly classics for him, legendary japanese for me I bought this 99 s14a over a year ago now of a local member on here. It was totally standard bar an s15wmic, mbc and 3 nice gauges but in great nick as i wanted a clean one.

Here is a pic of the first night:

As you can see it needed a splitter and that side light blank on the bumper,

I wanted to make a capable road car, able for drift and fast track driving but keeping the OEM look without the use of a body kit. I'd like to make the car look like how it should have looked coming out of the factory!
    Last edited by CillianS14a; 16-03-2010 at 23:04.

Rides
    Gave it a good scrub the next day, it came up pretty well i thought!

I hated the sight of the orange indicators, i couldnt afford the clear ones so i made my own! I also managed to get a front splitter, fog lights and that bumper blank i was missing, cheers jp!

Made some difference in the look of the car then!
    Last edited by CillianS14a; 16-03-2010 at 22:36.

Rides
    My main concern when browsing through here was how much of a rusty bastid these can be, so on my back i went for a look!

Not bad, mainly surface but i had to get it in time before it gets bad. So i spent two weeks sanding and sealing, this turned out to be a bit of a waste of time, i'll get back to the out come of this though

I stripped out everything then for a gander inside to see if there was anything dto woory about,

I thought the oragey stuff was rust coming through, so i dug deeper and found out it was just the colour of the sealent

Both sills looked very good!

Rides
    This isn't a daily, spends most of the time in my now alarmed and insulated garage, keeping herself warm

I first wanted to free up the breathing a small bit so i picked up this kit

It was around this time my fuel pump started to die so i order these from Apex, thanks!

And promptly fitted both!

I've never really done any mechanically thing before, so all this knid of stuff was a good way to learn!

Rides
    A few months passed and it was time to sort out the boatish handling, first thing was a set of wheels!

Delighted these came up for sale as i wanted a set anyways!lol Ultralite Nurburgrings in 8.5J front, 9.5J rear, with the black spokes as i wanted! I think the black on the blue body works well

Bitta dishu! ha!

Wrecking my garden lol!

Rides
    I HATE the uk rear bumper, mine seemed to be used as a "lets scrape this for the craic" carpark object. So to dull the look of it i sprayed the fogs black

I got tired of the boring interior, so i decided to customize it a bit! Never did stiching before cos i always thought it was
    I made these out and aul jersey i had. Turned out alright!

Last edited by CillianS14a; 16-03-2010 at 23:03.

Rides
    It's lookin good mate but whats OEM+ about it??

Rides
    Looks good mate

somthing mine is missing is the rims, mine are just gloss black standard ones atm which look very well but I WANT DA DISH

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLER View Post
    It's lookin good mate but whats OEM+ about it??
    Quote Originally Posted by S14a-Jay View Post
    Looks good mate

somthing mine is missing is the rims, mine are just gloss black standard ones atm which look very well but I WANT DA DISH
    Cheers lads,

@fuller: OEM+ is the look im going for, its one with all standard bodywork etc but has alot of enhancements i think work well

@Jay: I think the standard wheels look well, Col200sx had his stonechipped and they looked very well!

Rides
    For awhile i had a bit of a missfire problem we couldn't get to the bottom of, so one day i took out the intercooler to look for a leak somewhere. I have a habit of dismantling things, as you'll see!

I noticed a bit of a bubble on the side of teh strut top so i went digging

Found some more in the wheel arch, nothing major though:

Cleaned up, and ready for resealing

Missing a pic here but i dug away all the old seam sealer and applied red oxide primer which is holding up very well almost a year later

Rides
    Looking good! You've just given me an idea for something!
    Quote Originally Posted by CillianS14a View Post

I've spent quite a bit of time in Ireland, I saw this pic and thought "that's Ireland", THEN I noticed your location lol

Rides
    Then i lost the plot!

Not a patch of rust thankfully!

3 coats of primer later

2 Smooth top coats then

Strut top

Reapplied industrial seam sealer

Missing a few pics then, basically when this all dried i cleaned it all with white spirits and then applied 2 coats of stonechip, im really impressed with the stuff!

Rides
    This is one pic of what the finish was like:

When i have this thread up to date i have plans to change all this again, im going to remove the front end again and respray this gloss black instead. Keep an eye on this thread

Next up i noticed the air filter getting fairly hot on longer journeys. So i picked up this 1.5mm x 1m alu sheet:

A good while later i came out with this:

To keep an eye on the temps i fitted this gauge, the sensor sits on the filter and i can read it off the dash:

Rides
    Then i went a bit daft picking up bits and pieces for a few weeks,

Blue LED dash conversion

Apex elbow and downpipe

Blitz DBSC Spec R boost controller

Apex subframe locking collars

Clear side repeaters

I then picked up Eibach lowering springs and KYB shocks to remove the 4x4 look, cheers Col!

Only had them on 2 days and burst a shock Doh!
    They made some job on the handling side, no more boatish feel!
    Then i went a got a set of Whiteline ARB's front and rear, thanks jp! They pretty much stopped body roll altogether, very happy with them

Needed to sort out the fitment then!^^^
    Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-03-2010 at 01:16.

Rides
    Braided turbo lines and replacement headlight washers:

Also, a genuine Kouki rear bumper woop woop!

I put my name down for the Apex intercooler group buy so i decided to move the battery to the boot, Picked up a few bits needed:

I made this battery box out of more aluminium like the cold air box

Also picked up this dished suede steering wheel:

and along with a driftworks handbrake button i got one or two stickers lol

Rides
    Looking good dude use the blown shock as an excuse to get some coilies and a decent ride height

Rides
    Please don't put those stickers on it.....

Looks great so far

Rides
    Good to see a new thread up Cillian! It's a fantastic representation of the progress you've made since you've bought it so keep up the good work!

One word of caution - I believe most battery-boxes are made of plastic for non-conductivity reasons (will stand corrected on this one) so be careful; might want to confirm that one before you go installing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    Looking good dude use the blown shock as an excuse to get some coilies and a decent ride height
    Cheers lad! I'd love to but im afraid i can only go a few mil lower, otherwise it won't go into the garage, i have to reverse it in everytime to make sure it doesn't scrape lol!

Quote Originally Posted by retardrift View Post
    Please don't put those stickers on it.....

Looks great so far
    haha don't worry lad i won't be putting them on. They won't be going down the left side of my rear window!lol

I have a load of other nice rare stickers too, not sure what to do with them though, i was thinking of putting a few on the boot at something stage?

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Good to see a new thread up Cillian! It's a fantastic representation of the progress you've made since you've bought it so keep up the good work!

One word of caution - I believe most battery-boxes are made of plastic for non-conductivity reasons (will stand corrected on this one) so be careful; might want to confirm that one before you go installing it.
    Thanks Jp, i've a good load of updates yet to come too
    Yeah i thought alot about the conductivity of the box too, its fairly wide so nothing is near touching it. The battery is also strapped down and I have two 150amp circuit breakers to go in too

Rides
    Smart project, I like the intake temp gauge.