Thread: Choosing / Buying / Installing an Alarm

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Choosing / Buying / Installing an Alarm

My garage is reasonably secluded - behind tall gates and at the end of the garden. This is good, because people passing don'y really know it's there, and I'm particularly careful to never open the up and over door and gates at the same time, so all anyone sees is the front which looks like a typical double garage.

That said, being tucked away is also good news for anyone trying to break in.

The steps I plan to take are:

Install a mulitpoint lock on the PA door (5 point lock)
    Bars over the windows.
    Blinds over the windows (as at night, when I'm in there, it's easy to see from other properties what I'm doing and what's inside.)
    Night vision camera (more for my own peace of mind to be able to look in there remotely if we hear noises but can't arsed to go down and look.)

And then an alarm.

I'm happy to install it myself, but am not sure about how reliable wireless ones are. I think I'd want:
    Door / window sensors
    Window vibration sensors
    I don't think motion sensors would be worth while, as there's only 2 doors and two windows, and if these are hooked up, motion detection inside would be pointless, right?
    Oddly, no visible bell box on the outside, as I think this suggests there's something worth breaking in for - maybe with wireless this could be on the rear of the house instead.
    A ludicrously loud siren INSIDE the garage with a strobe - making it an unpleasant place to be. We had this installed in a computer parts place I worked at, and when I was inside and it went of it was unbearable - to the point where you couldn't communicate or think straight, and were completely disoriented.
    Some of them will ring you if they go off - again, useful for remote notification and then having a look through the camera.
    It would also be useful for the alarm to disable the lighting circuit too, but I can probably manage this with a relay running off the bell box.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    No one got any advice / recommendations with alarm systems?
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Not sure if this is much help but a close mate of mine is a intruder alarm engineer, now im not massively clued up, but i think the siren your on about is a "master blaster" there designed for industrial units and emit 127db.

Have you considered a alarm on the house with a seperate zone for the garage?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    ...I don't think motion sensors would be worth while, as there's only 2 doors and two windows, and if these are hooked up, motion detection inside would be pointless, right?
    It's not uncommon to find that the doors and windows have been untouched and the roof peeled back or caved in, so motion is useful as you'll know when they break in rather than when they leave, assuming they don't go back through the roof.

Can't help on a recommendation though I'm afraid.

Rides
    I'd go with a wired system (cheaper and easier in the long run as no flat batteries or interference to contend with)
    • Contacts on doors / windows
    • DT PIR inside for motion (less likely to false alarm and piss of you or your neighbours).
    • A decent control panel to run it all (+Battery backup)
    • A decent sounder & Strobe
    • Roll of cable
    • Remote Keypad

It should cost ~£120 to buy and install this little lot. Install should take less than a morning and is pretty straightforward...

If you'd like any links to suppliers give me a shout

Edit - if you're after a mega loud internal siren you can either go with a group of piezo electric 'soundbombs' which are cheap and scream like mad or as said before a master blaster, which is basically an airraid style claxon siren... Both awesomly loud if done right.
    If you want to go really funky and uber secure, try a fog generator teamed with asynchronous 1kw strobes from each corner - it is virtually impossible to get you balance or your bearings in order to steal anything!!
    Last edited by LongshanksS14; 25-04-2012 at 16:45.