Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 S14.5 build

Rides

1996 S14.5 build

Bits of a messy thread
    Last edited by Gti-james; 13-04-2016 at 19:41.

Rides
    PROJECT START!! in the beginning

At long last ive sorted myself out and become a proper member of Sxoc
    So now that i have, i thought i should post a thread for my new project as i find threads like this give motivation to see it through to the end.
    Have also set myself a silly 3 month deadline of may 7th for it's first show outing, Then to be on the Sxoc stand at japfest lol

Il start at the beginning

A S13 was my first 200sx 3 years ago and it took me a year to build up and was Drift ready, Striped/Caged, welded diff etc. However after 6 months on the road and with winter coming fast the car started Really annoying me every time i took it out.
    My mate kept his S14 at my Garage as his toy at the time.

His S14 and my S13

Shortly after the engine went on the S14 and my mate found a compleate S14 for £250 so went about the engine swap.

Engine out

Swapped over turbo Etc

Then he got wheels

After a month or so he decided he wanted rid, and stupidly i said straight away i wanted it and payed £1500 and it only had 1 month MOT left, and failed badly.
    It did have the following Mods:
    Tubular manifold
    Full 3'' Exhaust/decat
    Intercooler and Walbro

Once it was don the road my first job was to remove those stupid indicators.

Then Tidy up the engine bay

However after 2 months the Engine blew up again and i started to strip the car ready for scrap.

So ive been i using a BMW 328 Compact for the last year

Well im board of the Bmw now and i was looking for a skyline but when it came to scrap my s14 i thought, may aswell give here a make over. give her a new lease of life with a S15 front end.

So here we go!

Got the car in the shed and started striping

Excuse the mess lol Shed looks like a bomb hit.

Wheel after a year outside. I aint touching that

Engine out

Going to repaint engine bay and under arches to prevent new rust. will be doing that once i order supply's.

first job wast to get S14.5 wings and 50mm overfenders.

Last edited by Gti-james; 13-01-2014 at 18:30.

Rides
    This is Replacement engine i got just to get it running, but im unsure what path to go down yet.

Im Trying to decide over the SR20 or RB25.
    400bhp is the target

Im starting the rear arches tomorrow.
    Last edited by Gti-james; 06-02-2012 at 20:36.

Rides
    Result i managed to get off work early today, so i cracked on with the rear arch.
    pulled out the welder gave it a dust down and luckily i had gas still left.

Was a shame to cut it as there was no rust at all, however needs must.

After lots of research on here i felt confident to cut the arches and did it in a way alot of other people seem to do it.

Lucky for these as i nearly burned the car after a piece of sponge stuck up the arch cought fire

One side done. Good amount of clearance

I test fitted the over fender to have a look

Im happy with that

Going to attack the engine bay tomorrow
    Last edited by Gti-james; 07-02-2012 at 21:44.

Rides
    Welcome on board Axel, looks like you are making good progress. That rear spoiler looks cool

Personally i'd stick with the SR20 for 400hp

Rides
    liking that last picture dude...keep it up! seems like an interesting project

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
    Welcome on board Axel, looks like you are making good progress. That rear spoiler looks cool

Personally i'd stick with the SR20 for 400hp
    Thanks mate, I'm probably going to go down the SR route but in the long run I would love a RB, will have to see how it goes tho.

Rides
    After taking weeks trying to decide on a front bumper for the Sx I found and ordered one last week only to be told that it was out of stock and is not available till may so back to square one.

Anyway I've spent yesterday and this afternoon rubbing down the engine bay and treating the rust and it is now in primer. Will probably leave it like this until some bodywork has been done.

Im going to treat the inner arches front and rear tomorrow.
    Also I'm trying to decide wether to sell my driftworks arms off my s13 or use them on this car and I'm thinking to leave the rear subframe and underside until I've got the car on the road as I want it ready and on the road for may.

Rides
    I now hope to have the 200 visually ready for Japfest as ive asked for a place on the Sxoc show stand That gives me 3 months, should be enough time lol

Anyway back to the project

I made a start on the engine bay as i want to sort out any rust before it gets to bad and lose the battery tray
    Needs a bit of work to clean up

so i got the sandblaster and sheet out and blasted the rust

The rust-oleum paint products im using as ive found the paint really good in the past

I cut out the battery tray and tidied up the mess that was there (will finish off with some aluminium)

Slampanel was starting to rust so treated it and gave it a coat of zinc primer and high build primer

ive got the front half of the bay done, now for the rear so will have to remove brake pipes and wires

Rides
    I trying not to go mad with detail on this 200sx as im stuck to a tight deadline and i will be using this car as a daily drive so just going for a clean look under the bonnet.

Some pics of my Honda civic show car project engine bay just to show how mad I go with detailing

Christmas came early! Ive had my first order of shiny bits (Thanks Japspeed) for the Sx and am well happy with them

Japspeed FMIC

Ive gone a bit mad getting a 100mm rad for a road car! Dont you think

My Favourite things by far are the Daiyama coilovers. cant wait to see how she drives with these
    Last edited by Gti-james; 04-03-2012 at 06:34.

Rides
    definitely keeping a watch on this! Great work so far. Inspiring!

Rides
    After a few days of doing nothing to the Sx, i Managed to get the front under arches rubbed down (was no rust holes) and painted as am working 12 hour shifts to pay for parts so ain't got much free time and am completely Knackered most days

I've had to stop myself going mad with the car as I need it road going for Japfest and am running out of time, also it is costing alot more money than I planed to spend mainly because I see something new and shiny and have to buy it lol
    So am going to do it in a two stage build to save on time and spread the cost so I can also finish my Civic

1st stage will be:
    order the bodykit next week and fit it, rivet on rear arches and fit front arches without doing filler work as I've been told Fibreglass flexes and cracks over a few months after fitting. I will just paint the whole car Yellow myself for japfest and the summer. Fit the Coilovers and FMIC, Engine will stay at the tune I had it before (about 270) using a standard T28, Brakes and rear subframe will stay as are.

2nd stage will be toward the start of winter where I hope to get the cars bodywork finished and get it painted professionally have new wheels etc and have a forged engine build
    Last edited by Gti-james; 07-03-2012 at 23:07.

Rides
    Been flat out working on the car every night after work till late so it is coming along nicely

After a while trying to decide on what wheels and almost buying some wide GTR-D rotas, ive gone for a cheap set of ebay wheels ATM just so i freed up some money for other mods.
    Will be getting Rota Gtr-d at some point but as it would cost over £1500 for the wheels and tyres i would rather spend that money on the brakes first.

The wheels i got
    18x8.5 Front 18x9.5 rear with E35 offset

Rear wheels fitted, will need 50mm spacers for the rears i think

Rides
    After this i had a think about what to do with the fuel cap as i wanted one to sit flush on the overfenders.
    After scratching my head for a while i went ahead and cut my fuel cap hinge and latch to extend them.

Finished cap, works well

Back to the engine bay and front end. After lots of rubbing down and sorting out the rust i painted the front arches

to this

Was not going to go mad on the detailing but cant seem to help myself.
    I took off the subframe etc (subframe bolts where a nightmare to remove) cleaned it down with a grinder and painted them up .

After painting the engine bay i refitted them, i think they look good in silver

Rides
    Nice project mate,look forward to seeing this on the local roads!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Nice project mate,look forward to seeing this on the local roads!
    As said above: what colour orange is the civic.

Rides

You don't half have some fugley mates,

Last time I seen that shed you were hanging a 200 from the roof.

Nice project btw

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    As said above: what colour orange is the civic.
    It chrysler tangerine orange, I added extra metallic and a dash of red and black just to change it slightly.
    I love the colour

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GAV200 View Post

You don't half have some fugley mates,

Last time I seen that shed you were hanging a 200 from the roof.

Nice project btw

Lol I agree

The hanging 200 has gone after I decided to build a 14.5

Rides
    Thought id add a little update as have received my spacers and Front bumper

ive also got the front coilovers fitted as well as the front arms/hubs.
    I'm well chuffed how it looks, just waiting on my drop links and wilwood brake kit. hopefully they should arrive next week

Ive also finished a few things in the engine bay like painting the master cylinder and strut brace ends as well as refitting pipes and that

This is the Bumper i bought mainly because it has a huge opening for the IC

The spacers i ordered were 50mm rear and 20mm front so ive fitted them and put on the wheels to have a see if my measurement were right.

Perfect fit