Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 S14.5 build

Rides
    finally the car is back on the road. i took it for a mot and it only failed on a ball joint.
    for its first outing i took it to the BDC at pembrey

Rides
    I've now got the motivation to spend some more time and money on the car, can star buying more goodies to make it better, so part 2 of the project now begins

Im concentrating on the interior now as it is standard ATM and in my mind dose not suit the the look of the exterior so got myself a deep dish wheel and gauges and other bits and bobs

also a hydo

Rides
    Nice job all round credit to you James, looks a pale red or is it the photos, still love your tangerine orange though with a black roof p/o. "Thumbs"

Rides
    Thanks Gerry, my phone a bit crap, the red is bright red, it was a last minute thing to paint it and was easier to paint it a solid 2k colour than a metallic.
    Will probably chance the colour again next year lol

Rides
    I think you should have updated this by now and i wanna see more! Doi g an s15 front end on mine.the now because ehhh i crashed and i have s15 headlights there anyway but could you tell me is it a pain in the arse and what is if anything is hard etc. Car looks great btw!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by darrengodfrey View Post
    I think you should have updated this by now and i wanna see more! Doi g an s15 front end on mine.the now because ehhh i crashed and i have s15 headlights there anyway but could you tell me is it a pain in the arse and what is if anything is hard etc. Car looks great btw!
    Sorry only now seen this.

The front end swap is easy providing you get conversion wings, you will have to cut the slam panel behind the lights to let the s15 headlight sit in the right place, apart from that is easy

Rides
    I'm ashamed to say after I last said I'd started part 2 of the build it all fell flat as I couldn't be bothered after a week or so.

How ever things are now moving again Thanks to the Sxoc boys from South Wales.

Instead of car park meets we now do meets at people's garages and spend the day working on whoever car needs the A-team
    Mine was our 3rd successful get together and had a good turn out and got the car stripped down.

I have also had my new engine and it is going to be a job to fit but it's what I want.

1UZ-fe v8 baby!!! Possibly turbo

Am yet to decide on gearbox but will most prob be a R154 as I'm going to turbo the engine.

Pics and progress will follow later

Rides
    Update with pics

Since September my cars been parked up waiting for helping hand to strip her down.
    Had a good turn out

She been sitting on stands for a while

I've got major plans this time so was happy to make a start.

Ended up having a good turn out on the sxoc strip down day and got the engine out and rear subframe off.

Started with the front end first tho

Everyone got stuck in and had a great time.
    I wanted to do a compression test before removing the engine so I could sell it, however we tried and tried to get it to turn over fast but it was just to lazy.

Got the engine out and went about why the engine was so lazy on turnover

After a bit of head scratching We finally got the engine to turn over fast enough to get a good reading

Compression was ok over all the cylinders so at least I can sell it for some money to pit towards the build.
    Last edited by Gti-james; 12-12-2013 at 19:34.

Rides
    New engine arrived

Need to change the name of my thread now
    Last edited by Gti-james; 10-12-2013 at 21:08.

Rides
    Looks good, interested in how much work is required to make the 1uz fit as its something id like to do, so subscribed!

Rides
    What are the plans for the V8? Big turbo I hope??

Rides
    It is going to be a bit if work to get it to fit. The wiring being the hardest.

Yes my plan is to twin turbo it, going to start of with two T28R turbos and standard internals running 7psi on standard mapped Ecu as ive read that can work but will see.
    A standalone is what I will be getting tho

a guy in the states has two turbos off a skyline GTR and running srandard remeped ecu and had 360whp. just want ** get the engine running and the long term plan I want atleast 500whp

Rides
    A little more update.

Engine bay needs to be cleaned up now as I got to do a bit of work In it.

I'm going to tub the front arches and smooth any unneeded holes and generally tidy it up.
    I will also remove abs and need to modify the Slam panel.

Stated to pull stuff out like the loom and abs

I need to get the 1uz loom mated up to the car now so that's going to be many a hour scrolling through wiring pinouts, the joys :/

Luckily I have had a engine complete with loom and ecu

Rides
    Ok so things are moving along slowly, I'm gearing myself up for two weeks off work over Christmas to get the underside of the car rubbed down and any welding needed done.

Now my days of lying under a car welding and grinding are not going to happen anymore as I hate it with a passion, getting dirt and rust everyware and not to mention getting sparks in your hair and down the top.
    so this time I'm going to do it using a car spit/rotator

Now I has the option of buying one but to me the cheap ones look to flimsy and as I can weld I thought I'd make my own for half the price of the cheapest one online

So a trip to the local steel stockest I had this lot for £60

And after a few hours the frames were done.

I now realise by the weight I may of gone a bit mad with the size of steel but at least I know it won't collapse

Rides
    Update

Been using every spare day i got in the last few weeks to get my car spit finished and the car mounted so I can start the underside.

I had to make the frames that attach to the car shell, I just slid them up the rails front and back.

Long enough to support the weigh I hope

I used a engine crane to get it on the stands and the moment of truth lol

It works well, I got the centre of weight a little wrong do hard to turn over but it ok.

Rides
    I can now have a good look at the underside. Tbh it a bit worse than I thought but I haven't got the cash to re-shell as I would only re-shell into a S15, so I'm going to make good what I have.

How the underside looks

The rear of the sills are in a bad way and are going to need some major welding, apart from that there no other bad rust just one or two holes.

The spare wheel well is going and will be flat floor instead.

So started by removing the tank and other crap and cut out the floor

Rides
    You lucky lad, more more.

Rides
    Bit easier than lying underneath aye Gerry lol

Rides
    Mate what holds up your front bumper? Lol im dreading fitting my s14.5 kit

Rides
    I made metal plates with bolts welded in that attach to the wings and car then attach the bumper to that. It never came off. It easy to fit the front end.

Ill take some pics of what I done
    Last edited by Gti-james; 30-12-2013 at 07:24.