Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS Signal & Dakota Digital Converter Wiring question

Rides

ABS Signal & Dakota Digital Converter Wiring question

I'm converting my dash clocks this week, been researching it for a few weeks now, although been meaning to do it for a couple years nearly!

The wiring itself seems to work smoothly, have a conversion chart I've found on Zilvia to help it all along too.

The one place people seem to have come unstuck is the speedo wiring... Which I have a dakota digital unit to use to convert the signal for the speedo.

From reading

Do not feed your car’s ABS module a modified signal that will screw things up with the functionality of your ABS brakes. I would just tap the signal from the diff.
    So my question is, Do I tap the signal as it comes into the car, as I assume the signal heads straight to the abs module in the boot? So do I take it from that line to the module? As it won't change the signal as far as I can tell?

Never touched the ABS systems aside from Glynn (xr33 (props bud!) fitting my RLTC so although merely sounds like I want to tap the signal, I don't want to break something in the process!!!

Just wanted to confirm its alright just to tap the signal from the diff really without causing a giant upset!

Rides
    Tapping into the signal at the sensor on the diff or at the ABS module in the boot is the same thing. I would actually say tapping into it in the boot is far safer as your splice won't be exposed to the elements.

Rides
    There's no gearbox sensor you can tap into?

Rides
    From all the reading I've done, the best place is the abs feed as thats where the s15 takes its reading from so best place for it then through the dakota unit.

Rides

This is the dakota's wiring diagram from the instructions I have, with updates by the guy on Zilvia, but although I see he has shown the output going from Output 4 to the back of the speedo, it shows the other 2 main 'calibrated' outputs left well alone, wouldn't this mean there is no calibrated signal?

Rides
    Anyone experienced/used a dakota unit before?

Rides
    What are you converting your dash clocks to and why do you need the Dakota Digital box?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    What are you converting your dash clocks to and why do you need the Dakota Digital box?
    S15 Dash Clocks. The Dakota is required to convert the signal the abs sensor takes from the diff and convert it to read properly on the tachometer.

Rides
    Cant you just use the stock signal that the S14 clock uses and convert that behind the dash ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Flik View Post
    S15 Dash Clocks. The Dakota is required to convert the signal the abs sensor takes from the diff and convert it to read properly on the tachometer.
    Tachometer = rev counter - nothing to do with the ABS signal.

Just use the signal from the gearbox.
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 19-03-2012 at 21:15.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    The standard signal from the gearbox should be fine.
    Really? It'd still need to go through the converter though right? I've trawled plenty of threads (mainly US) about the change and they all aim towards using the abs signal as the s15 clocks get the reading from the s15 ecu?

It'd make the whole thing a LOT easier if I could just use the gearbox signal....

Rides
    I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams for you tomorrow if I get chance.

As I understand it the ABS ECU on the S15 converts the signal into something similar to the standard S14 speed sensor for the dash.

Rides
    Thanks Ben, very kind of you if thats possible.

If thats possible it'd be easier than taking the signal from the abs feed.

Rides
    Sorry mate totally forgot to reply to you PM (would forget my head if it wasnt screwed on !!) the speed converter is needed to convert the S14 speed signal (not tacho) into s15 type.. i had mine hooked up with one side of the s14 (s13 in my case) speed signal to the input and the other side to ground s14/s13/skyline have 2 wires for speed and i used the ones at the back of the clocks...

then i used the calibrated OC out to the clocks..

there is no need to take the abs signal.. (well i didnt and it worked lol)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sammos13 View Post
    Sorry mate totally forgot to reply to you PM (would forget my head if it wasnt screwed on !!) the speed converter is needed to convert the S14 speed signal (not tacho) into s15 type.. i had mine hooked up with one side of the s14 (s13 in my case) speed signal to the input and the other side to ground s14/s13/skyline have 2 wires for speed and i used the ones at the back of the clocks...

then i used the calibrated OC out to the clocks..

there is no need to take the abs signal.. (well i didnt and it worked lol)
    I meant the speedo, was thinking two things at the same time and wrote the other!

So on that diagram, what inputs/outputs did you use?

Rides
    you can run one side of the S14 speedo wiring to 's15 in' and the other side to 'ground'

then you just need the 'calibrated OC' out to the clocks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sammos13 View Post
    you can run one side of the S14 speedo wiring to 's15 in' and the other side to 'ground'

then you just need the 'calibrated OC' out to the clocks
    This makes it sound so much easier (somewhat), so why do all these other threads seem like its such a challenge? I've got the whole setup going in so its all flowing

Rides
    So I just checked this and you'll need to use the Dakota Digital box to modify the signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the gearbox before it gets to the S15 clocks.

Rides
    Cheers Ben,

Funny thing is today, having got the supplement manual you pointed me to etc then had a good look at the clocks already in the car and they didn't correlate! Can't understand why, they seem to flow better to the s14 fsm which I dont understand! Weird!

I've got a few wires Im trying to figure out where they go but getting there with the major ones, hopefully get some in car progress tomorrow got the whole dashboard to fit in too but wanted to get the clocks running first

Rides
    Most of the wiring diagrams in the S15 FSM are wrong anyway