Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Poverty Spec S13

Rides

Project Poverty Spec S13

Typing this thread out on my phone so gonna keep it short and sweet

I had an s13 a couple of years ago and it was awesome, built it up from a bare shell to a decent stage 2 and used it mainly for drifting

But after coming home from working in germany to no job and a pregnant missus i had no choice but to sell it for a silly low price as well !!

Fast forward about a year i now have a stable job, an amazing daughter and a rusty s13 that i paid £300 for !

I got it from a user on here and had it transported from near liverpool to glasgow so never actually seen the car just pictures, was a risk but for £300 id say it was worth it !

So with the car at home on my drive i started the strip down

i had this done on a saturday morning, everything came off really easily which i was happy about, also discovered 25mm spacers all round which was a mega bonus !!

When i came home from work on monday the missus was away out with the wee one so i decided to remove the fuel tank, then got a decent look at how bad the rust really is !

Then i decided to push at the rust and see how much would fall off, was actually less than i thought !!

I plan to cut out all the rust and weld new sections in the rear this weekend, the only bit of rust that i think is beyond my capabilities is on the front chassis leg where the subframe bolts onto it

also the front cross member has came apart so the bonnet wont shit

on the plus side the strut tops and engine bay is pretty clean

Rides
    I remember seeing your last car up for sale, looking forward seeing how this goes

Rides
    hi mate do yu want to sell the spacers? if so contact me on 07523350955 thanks

Rides
    Welcome back dude, will be good to see you skidding again. Ive dealt with most of those rust issues before on various cars. If you want a quick and easy bit of advice on how to fix them then give me a bell, u still got my number?

Rides
    Welcome back dude, will be good to see you skidding again. Ive dealt with most of those rust issues before on various cars. If you want a quick and easy bit of advice on how to fix them then give me a bell, u still got my number?

Rides
    Looks well good for what you paid,and if its going to be a skidder would be shame if it was mint,And you saved it from being broken and scrapped good man

Rides
    cheers for the comments guys ! im 100% against any s13 getting broken for parts when its easy enough to get on the road ! i doubt theres many uk s13s that dont have bad rust in the rear quarters !

dunkz i should have but fire me a pm with ur number just incase mate ! i planned to get this on the road asap but decided im gonna fix this one properly !

Rides
    Well today i managed to get some work done, so with a brutal hangover and a late start i went and picked up a welder to use and my grinder

cut out all the bad rust

now i do a fair bit of welding in work so id say im not too bad at it, but i normally weld decent metal with a good welder, i was not prepared for how hard it is to weld new metal onto 20 year old shitty metal with a shit welder, but i powered through ! the welds arent pretty and its not the most tidy job but id say i done not bad for rebuilding a rear quarter !

after that i gave it all a coat of direct to rust primer then sprayed on some underseal, im gonna get seam sealer to cover all of the welds to tidy it up a bit

i shaped all the metal just using a grinder, a hammer and bending it by hand, the rear quarter isnt finished im gonna give it a layer of fibreglass and shape it all to get it looking standard again, seems a bit mental doing all this as ill be putting a kit on eventually !

Rides
    welding looks not bad mate a bit of sealer will pretty it up a bit am lookin for another 200 aswell lol

Rides
    yeah its not the worst its welded solid i just prefer good looking welds lol !! gonna seam seal everything when im done !

Rides
    Did you want me to get someone to take the brakes to crail for you this weekend?

Rides
    Managed to get a bit done today

started off by rubbing down all the surface rust, painted, seam sealed every seam/weld then undersealed the rear end

then cleaned up the fuel tank, painted it and re-fitted it, if anyones thinking of doing this job the best advice i can give you is it is a two man job ! i done it myself using a jack, a plank of wood and my head to try and balance the tank and it wasnt easy, especially since the tank still had fuel in it !

next job was to prep the subframe as im gonna fit that tomorrow ! i first removed the diff as i have a welded one to fit, then rubbed the subframe down with a wire brush, then 400 grit, gave it a liberal spray with primer, then painted it toolbox red

i would have preffered to have removed all the arms etc then painted it but its getting re-fitted tomorrow and it was 5 oclock by the time i started the subframe so couldnt be arsed !

Rides
    I definately would have fitted new bushes whilst it's out chap, or if you dont have time buy another subby and build that up

Nice work though and fair play on the rust commitment cause there's a decent amount of work needed

Rides
    i was thinking about doing the bushes but its extra cost that i dont need just now as theres no excess free play in any of the bushes which surprised me, i do plan to buy a spare subframe and replace all the bushes at some point ! my main aim just now is to get all the rust sorted and get it ready for an mot within the next month !

Rides
    I'm liking the blue colour s13 in your sig pic, is it like a powder blue?

Rides
    was a custom made blue, from memory it was a mix of ford capri blue and eggshell white

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by craiglancs View Post
    I'm liking the blue colour s13 in your sig pic, is it like a powder blue?
    it's called driftmidz blue. youtube it

Rides
    its not driftmidz blue !!! and in no way was my old s13 anything to do with driftmidz !

Rides
    Haha lol! Powder blue sounds good then! If i end up respraying mine from red then that's top of my list of colours!

Rides
    Will have to do this on a s14a if I go ahead with it!

Looks like great work mate!