Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My S13 "smoke machine" build

Rides

My S13 "smoke machine" build

MY NEW S13 START!!!

Hello people, I bought this car a while ago and never got round to doing this so here goes......

it had done 158,678 miles ( which is high I know ), but I had driven for about 4 hours to get there to pick it up, I was not leaving without it.... Went

over it and it was pretty sweet and the lad from off here - Kelvin - Wizzkid ( I hope I got that right ) was great told me everything that was right and

wrong with it. even put a 12 months ticket on it.... Good lad.

***The Modification's already on when I picked it up***

• New stainless apex exhaust
    • Induction kit - ebay job, probably
    • Kazz 2 way diff (very easy for back end fun!!!)
    • T28 turbo off s14 with braided lines
    • 3"down pipe
    • CD player
    • Solid rear sub frame bushes
    • Coilovers - unknown
    • Rota torque 17" wheels

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The only down fall to it was the turbo decided to smoke out the entire M60. shit happens. So now the fun begins.........
    Last edited by s13brad; 18-01-2014 at 18:43.

Rides
    So, as I said I've had the car a few months. Sorted the turbo issue out. Pretty much every bolt/nut holding the manifold and turbo where loose and the oil

return pipe was loose, so all the oil was burning on the exhaust.

Everything was going smooth and well with no problems at all. So I decided to clean it up a bit. Decided to rattle can the wheels paint the cam covers and

get a mate to wrap it on the cheap, the very cheap hahaha

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by s13brad; 10-11-2013 at 20:05.

Rides
    Nice and progress is all good,glad to see a 13 being fixed up and not busted for parts

Rides
    Oh no, not being used for parts gunna crack on with this one.....

Well after a few months of hassle free motoring, I think that the turbo had finally given upon our way up to Newcastle I lost all boost, the car filled up

with smoke and plumes of smoke from the exhaust.

After pulling over to find out that there was no oil in the engine we had to call the big yellow bus to pick us up and take us home.....

[IMG][/IMG]

At least I didn't have to drive back now.....

The next morning found half the turbo inside the inter cooler pipes and a lot of oil. So its engine out time.

Oh and when an apprentice tells you that he drained the gearbox...... make sure you check

I think now is the time to plan on getting the sr in and wired up
    Last edited by s13brad; 18-01-2014 at 23:06.

Rides

Ok so not posted for a bit, been busy getting bits and bobs don on the car. Waiting for parts to arrive take up most

of it and when they do finally get here, there wrong or don't fit.......
    I bought front and rear K-sport brake kits for

the car BUT, they was sent for 5 stud not 4, so I have had to get creative with the pillar drill and get them back to 4

stud.
    Last edited by s13brad; 17-01-2014 at 23:06.

Rides

So after a tense afternoon with the drill they finally fit. Got a bit worried that I might have a problem getting them to

fit but they went on first time. Next was to see if I had any braking issues but it seems fine, so its all good.

Rides
    So Next on the job list is to clean up and paint the engine bay as it does have

a lot of bits here and there that need to be tidied up. Im gunna paint it red and

paint splatter it black. I have a bit of an obsession with the paint splatter look

for some reason......

Rides

Rides
    Got a few more bits done today and most of the parts have started to arrive now, so its time

to crack on with it. I have removed the ABS, and have bought the removal kit from DB Power

off here, Dan is great by the way.... Helped me out and got it shipped out straight away, even

when he said he was due to go away!, Nice one Dan ( use DB Power ).....

Rides
    Some more pictures now.... I kind of cheated with the new engine, As I'm putting

in an sr20det, I thought it would be best to find a complete engine and box. I

thought that it would be hard to do but there are loads around so not hard at all.

I got mine the good guys over at Tuning Developments. Infact Nick and Mike have

pretty much sourced most of the parts for me, again people should use these, they

are very helpful always want to make sure you get what you want great lads down

there.

So here is the new turbo.

Garrett GT28 71R
    Kinugawa actuator

This should get me some fun..

Ok, so as I said I got the engine and box complete from a car that was being stripped for

parts, it is low a low mileage motor and was always serviced regularly. So Im not gunna

start going down the road of taking it apart and forging this that and the other just yet,

so I have just cleaned it up and give it a lick of paint, both the engine and the box.

Also got some red Anodized pulleys to finish it off, and i decided to polish up some of the

engine bits like the manifold, engine hook and water pipe. Went crazy with the polishing

mops....

Rides
    Good job mate, looks stunning. Wheels back to white for me...

Rides
    Cheers mate, And I know I was tempted to just leave them, but they where very scratched

and the white paint was fading so they needed something new
    Last edited by s13brad; 02-04-2014 at 17:05.

Rides
    Ryt, got the engine bay cleared and managed to get the engine, fitted the new flywheel

and clutch, I got a Fidanza flywheel and a Clutch masters clutch fx400. Also plumbed in

the clutch braided hose. Before getting the engine in we got all the fuel lines and hoses

in the right positions too.

Rides
    Ok, bought a copy greddy manifold........ enough said.

It looked pretty good at first and for the pennies that I paid for it, well worth it too

However I asked the seller if it will fit a 70mm universal throttle body and if the main

feed was a 70mm hole, He replied yes. but when it came it turned out to be smaller

as I kind of expected it would, so much grinding and stencils where needed for this

one....

As you can see that is not a 70mm hole, so my die grinder spent the next 2 hours

working overtime.

Had to get the right size, so away with the arts and crafts!!!!!

I think it looks pretty damn good and looks miles better than the standard one, but who knows,

Defiantly adds a bit more to the engine anyway, and for the not so expense of buying it, as it was

very cheap, Im very pleased with it.
    Last edited by s13brad; 02-04-2014 at 17:04.

Rides
    Ok next couple of bits to add!!

I was planning on putting on all new suspension and lowering it as much as I could, but

so it is drivable. Also I don't want the wheel to catch on anything like the arches as I

plan to put some really thick hubcentrics on. So after doing the rounds on here though

the build threads, cutting, pulling and welding up the arches seems to be the way to go.

Got a bit worried when I cut straight into the side of the car!!! not to worry I just blasted

over it with the welder.

Just needs tacking on and giving a skim over and bit of paint job done...

Too many rivets? Nahhhh at least they wont fall off!!!

The new lights that where originally bought for the misses s13, but I like them so hers

can make do for now. Or I can just tell her that I am testing them first to see if they fit

correctly.

Last edited by s13brad; 02-04-2014 at 17:02.

Rides
    good job ;-)

Rides
    Got the new seats today,
    I spent ages looking for a seat that would fit my arse in it, and it turns out that only two seats are on the market
    That won't leave you broke for the year..... Them being
    Sparco evo
    OMP trs

I have gone with the mop seat, but getting fat man seats to fit well in a 13 ain't an easy task. The seat rails were in all the wrong places. The seat was too high too close to the window, awwww what a job....

But, there in and all good. I shall get the pics on tomoz.

I am also looking at buying a carbon wiper linkage trim cover for an s14. Wondered if anyone knows if they fit onto a 13. I don't want to buy it and the it don't fit.
    Last edited by s13brad; 02-04-2014 at 16:58.

Rides
    omg i love your splash look!! if i send you my coilpack cover will you do mine? haha.
    love where this is going, it will make a pretty cool one-off machine!!
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Hahaha thanks. For the comment's. I hope so Nellie, it's a lot more work than I first thought though.....
    Last edited by s13brad; 02-04-2014 at 16:57.

Rides
    Awesome progress so far! Love the splashed engine bay. and the sr looks sweet!