Thread: Paypal, still the spawn of the devil?

Rides

Paypal, still the spawn of the devil?

Selling my bike on the bay at present and I have a lad who wants to come to take it on the weekend. He was hoping to pay me via paypal before collecting but I have refused based on my distrust of it from the horror stories.

I have explained my issue with that and refused that method, and have basically offered him a bank transfer prior to collect or cash on collection, which is typically standard for a vehicle purchase in my experience.

My query is basically is paypal still the spawn of Lucifer as I really don't want to get stung using it.

Rides
    I've never once had an issue with paypal.. not once!

Can he not pay you a deposit by paypal and then the rest cash on collection?

Rides
    Paypal is still a sack of donkey balls and if he feels like ripping you off they will help him.

Rides
    That was one option Lou, but he is trying to snipe in before the auction ends. I think ill stick to my guns on this one as although its not big money, ill be pissed if I get shafted

Rides
    no problems with paypal ever!

got robbed £250 by some sscumbag on ebay. contacted paypal about it and i got my money bag very quickly

Rides
    Yes they are still the spawn of Satan if he's got the cash to PayPal you he's got the cash to give on the day. Sounds like he wants to scam you tbh.

Rides
    Not always a scammer -if you pay by bank transfer it's risky IMO, he could pay the cash and then not get what he's paid for, and then can't get the money back. People don't always want to turn up to buy something with a big bundle of cash on them

I'd go with the deposit by paypal then the rest in cash on collection -safest way for both parties IMO

Rides
    i would never sell a car using paypal. too risky and they always side with the buyer

Rides
    i got done by paypal as a buyer!

guy sent me some goods, only 1 of 2 packages turned up, kept lying so did paypal dispute.

paypal said sent the item back.

this sorta went on while i was on holiday.

came back, 2 days later sent the goods off with tracking within the time frame.

but because i didnt give paypal the tracking details within the time frame, he got to keep his money and i lost my goods.

i tried forever to get either half the goods or the money back, but nothing.

lost 100quid and no goods to show for it.

but on the whole i havnt had any problems.

Rides
    I dont actually think he is a scammer, its just I have an innate trust issue with using an organisation like paypal for anything larger then a few quid. If he is serious but unsure, ill offer what Lou said, but I wont be ending the listing in case he tries to mess me about

Rides
    I would avoid it like the plague.

He will claim its no good to paypal and get the money back its going on more and more.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I would avoid it like the plague.

He will claim its no good to paypal and get the money back its going on more and more.
    or claim his account was hacked and it wasn't him like what happened to me. i had proof he was lying and sent the proof to paypal and they still sided with him.

Rides
    Never once had a problem with paypal - and we take ££££££££££££££££££ through it every week

Rides
    Basically if he's collecting it then it's not a good idea to take Paypal because he can claim a refund saying he doesn't have it and you won't be able to prove otherwise to their satisfaction probably.

I'd imagine he wants to do it so he can pay on his CC rather than spending cash, which he probably doesn't have.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199