Thread: Rock climbing and Bouldering

Rides

Rock climbing and Bouldering

Anyone on the board partake?

I started 3 weeks ago now at Awesome Walls Bouldering centre just up the road from me. I had absolutely no idea it was there 'til i happened to google walls in the area as my brother climbs in Bristol and highly recommends it.

The first week was hard going and left me hurting for a good few days but it's not hurting anymore.... i know only ache. That said it is a gooood few years since i bothered to do any exercise and, whilst not overweight, i am woefully unfit and weak

Rides
    Used to try and go once a week in peterborough a few years back excellent way to tone up and build upper body strength. If it wasnt for my shitty work pattern I would still go now

Rides
    Used to ... till the missus broke her neck at the one in Bristol ... havent been for 10 years now

Used to go to the one in Redhill near the TVR place, The Church in Bristol and that climbing Centre in Glouster that I cant remember the name of

Rides
    I used to go to a place in Marple years ago, which I seem to remenber was a converted church.

You should watch the film 127 hours

Rides
    I keep thinking about having a go at Audley walls, but want to get a bit lighter first..

Rides
    Everyone should do it.

Best sport in the world! (Apart from motorsport!)

I work at a wall in Barnard Castle. Come climb here!

Rides
    Get down the climbing wall to learn the basics and find a climbing club to join. Then once the weather gets better get outside and start the real climbing fun!

Rides
    I've climbed probably once a week or more for about the last 5 years, i'd recommend it to anyone and everyone, it has so many different aspects to suit all types of people and it's such good exercise!

I'll be terrorising swanage and portland all summer if anyone ever wants to try outdoor climbing, i/e never introduced anyone to climbing who hasn't really enjoyed it and pursued it further.

me:

Rides
    Good work Dan

I know i'm new to it all but i have to admit i'm really enjoying it so far. It kinda takes me back to when i was a kid and my friends and I used to climb everything..... unlike nowadays when everything just aches for a few days.

I do have a slight issue with heights though but this only really affects me when i look over the edge of something. I've done some abseiling before and that didn't bother me at all but as these walls are only 3.4mtrs high i'm not having a problem so far :fingers crossed:

So far the only problem i'm having is out-right power and finger strength but these will come with time My technique is apparently quite good and i'm certainly willing to try stuff. We had a quick shufty in the cave last Sunday and I had to have a go at this upside down lark..... painful with lots of grunting I did manage to get the furthest though which pleased me
    Last edited by Easy007; 25-01-2011 at 00:37.

Rides
    One of my friends used to be scared of heights... So he started climbing. Now he climbs stuff like 7C (french) hard!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather to get back out on the rocks, bbq's, beers and generally good times!

Rides
    i used to go bouldering at alter rock in derby, the place is a converted church and its awesome. it usually just batters your hands so get some chalk.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    I've climbed probably once a week or more for about the last 5 years, i'd recommend it to anyone and everyone, it has so many different aspects to suit all types of people and it's such good exercise!

I'll be terrorising swanage and portland all summer if anyone ever wants to try outdoor climbing, i/e never introduced anyone to climbing who hasn't really enjoyed it and pursued it further.
    Where abouts do you climb when indoors in S'oton? Calshot??... was there at the weekend! I too climb at least once a week every week. I alternate between Bournemouth Uni and QE in Wimborne. I'll no doubt see you over the summer then as my plans are swanage/portland whenever the sun is shining! Have you got any fave spots to recommend? (Sport). Last sumer was my first on the rocks and we mainly hit Winspit, but looking to venture out this year.

Rides
    i do calshot when its warm enough, that place is a fridge! i go to a little wall in st marys in southampton over the winter, its only squash court sized but keeps me active

i'm sometimes at the bmouth uni wall but not that often.
    i'd recommend basically the whole of portland, winspit has more to offer than you first think too, dancing ledge is also a great day out and a good place to take new/non climbers as its just a nice place to be. just get out there basically!

Rides
    i used to go once a week http://www.eica-ratho.com/
    Some good walls there, no been for months so might start going back now

Rides
    This is something i do generally when go for walks along the beach and that but only free climbing, is there a forum where i can find info of the best places in my area?

Rides
    www.ukclimbing.com is your best bet.

Use the logbook function and search for your area

Rides
    a bump.....

Well what a great weekend i just had! I went down to visit my brother in Bristol for a few days climbing around the area.

I've carried on doing the bouldering thing at my local centre and am still thoroughly enjoying it but i've not really ventured outside much. My first experience with ropes etc was last year up in the Roaches but when my bro came up here to visit so it was about time i went and had another go. The highest i've been so far was about 30-40ft outside and indoors my centre is 3.4m.

So i rocked up on friday and met them in the Gorge for a quick climb as it was getting late in the afternoon. I have no idea how high it was or in fact what grade it is but i shit myself a little bit. My bro lead and belayed us from the top which was fun.

On the Saturday my bro, his missus and a friend had planned for us to go to a quarry just outside Chepstow, near Tintern for a days sports climbing.

A lot of the routes are on the 30ft walls and were good fun, in fact we had a race up one of the which i came 3rd with 1.23..... I did find it a little tricky at first as i'm so used to having colours to show me where to go but outside you have any number of places you can use.

For the last climb my bro decided to pitch up a 70ft climb up a crack. Now this was a tad scary for me, what with my wariness of heights heights an all, but i grew a pair and threw myself up it.

My bro near the top...

On Sunday we went to TCA and did some indoor bouldering as the weather look changeable, he had planned on heading to Cheddar but upon checking found we needed 3rd party ins to climb

Rides
    Awesome stuff I fancy a bash at this again - I went bouldering once before newar Crownborough - can't remember the place, but on the edge of the Ashdown - It was the most physically exhausting thing I've ever done (and at the time I was reasonably fit from about 7 years continuous mountain biking). But great fun.
    The day after I literally couldn't move my hands - so, so painful! The day after it was just aches, but I've never taken that long to recover from any physical activity!

May have to tag along with you one day Dan, if that's ok?

Rides
    I'll defo be going down again this summer and having another go as it was so much fun!

Rides
    Looks like a wicked weekend Easy!
    All you need to climb in Cheddar is a BMC membership, it's less than £20 a year, you get sent a quality quartley magazine and you are supporting all forms of british climbing and the governing thereof. The BMC membership includes the insurance required to climb in Cheddar, sometimes Martin Crocker (local legend) strolls around with a massive printed list of BMC members to make sure nobody is climbing uninsured, as if that person had an accident, Cheddar Caves and Gorge could stop all climbing full stop.

Si, it just so happens I have a gap in my schedule tomorrow night if you are man enough...?