Thread: Broadband woes, help please!

Rides

Broadband woes, help please!

Hi All,
    I'm hoping someone can help me before I introduce my router to the blunt end of a hammer!

I've been a Virgin fibre optic broadband customer for over 2 years, never ever had an issue, good connection speed, it never went down so never had to call Virgin for help etc, and then last month I moved house.

I called Virgin to cancel as I was pretty certain my new house (converted barn on a country lane) wouldn't have fibre optic anywhere near it, but they said they could do a normal ADSL connection at the new address and I would get between 5.x and 10.x mbps. This was about what I got before (basic package) so I thought i'd go for it, Virgin had always been fine for me so why not.

I've now had the internet connected for about 3 weeks (1 of which I was on holiday) and it has been working as it should for, oh about NONE of that time.
    The first time it didn't work, I called them up and was told to switch the router off and on again. This worked, albeit temporarily (I felt a bit silly for calling but the old connection had been so good I never had to do this so it never even crossed my mind)

The next time it was working at sub-dial up speeds, I called again after doing an ISP speedtest (2.3mbps download), I told the guy on the phone the speedtest result and how i had been told i would get between 5 and 10 meg, not 2.

"Ah but you see its 6pm in the evening, it's peak time, you are going to get a slower connection you see"
    "But I was told I would get 5meg minimum"
    "ah yes but it's peak time-"
    "yes i understand that, but 2 meg still isnt 5 meg minimum is it?"
    "ah but it's peak time-"
    "YES, i understand that, but I was told I would get 5 meg MINIMUM, not 5 meg apart from when it's busy, when i'll get 2 meg"
    "ok well if you do an ISP speedtest between 10am and 4pm during the week-"
    "you mean when I am at work?"
    "yes that's right, then you will get between 5 and 10 meg"
    "but i'll be at work, I won't be using my home broadband, I use it in the evenings and at weekends, when I am at home"
    "ah but that's peak time you see-"

And so it went on.
    That was last week, and this week it has just been completely disconnecting itself almost constantly. For example, I will be copying this text before posting it, because chances are when I hit the 'submit' button, the connection will have gone and I will have to try and re-connect.

Now the only thing I can think of doing is spouting some serious vitriol to an ususpecting Virgin helpline operator and getting the whole thing cancelled and refunded, but I thought I would check with you lovely lot first.

Is there anything I can do at my end to make the connection faster/more stable/less like its made from yoghurt pots and string?

Is there really anything Virgin can do to increase the quality of my connection?

If I cancel and go with someone else am I really going to get anything better on the same, copper phone line?

Do I have any other options?

All help appreciated as always!

Rides
    You could try the test socket? http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html After that Virgin will need to pull there finger out. And yes, there's loads they can do to help improve it, you just need to keep SHOUTING at them!!

Rides
    They can do a bit to quicken the speed, if however, you ave Alu lines as well as copper getting to your farm BB does not like Alu lines.

Your end, make sure there's no unused extensions coming off your main nte (phone socket) BB doesn't like lots of extensions., plug your router into the main nte, not an extension.

Rides
    I would get rid asap and find a lower contention isp. I'm with virgin and my fibre optic is shite during peak and they are useless.

I hear good things about Be, not the cheapest though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    The next time it was working at sub-dial up speeds, I called again after doing an ISP speedtest (2.3mbps download), I told the guy on the phone the speedtest result and how i had been told i would get between 5 and 10 meg, not 2.

"Ah but you see its 6pm in the evening, it's peak time, you are going to get a slower connection you see"
    "But I was told I would get 5meg minimum"
    "ah yes but it's peak time-"
    "yes i understand that, but 2 meg still isnt 5 meg minimum is it?"
    "ah but it's peak time-"
    "YES, i understand that, but I was told I would get 5 meg MINIMUM, not 5 meg apart from when it's busy, when i'll get 2 meg"
    "ok well if you do an ISP speedtest between 10am and 4pm during the week-"
    "you mean when I am at work?"
    "yes that's right, then you will get between 5 and 10 meg"
    "but i'll be at work, I won't be using my home broadband, I use it in the evenings and at weekends, when I am at home"
    "ah but that's peak time you see-"

And so it went on.
    In regards to that part, thats normal and to be expected. Broadband is shared between people so unless no-one else on your exchange is using theirs, you won't get the full bandwidth available. Not sure on the ratio but years ago it used to be something like 50:1 (i.e. 50 people would be sharing the 5 meg)
    bovvered?

Rides
    And also your farms distance from the exchange, 5-6 miles away is enough to affect your speed.

Rides
    Cool ill try the test socket, bit says on that link that long extension cables to the router can be the issue, I have to use a long cable to get the router to the middle of the house other wise the wireless won't reach anywhere! Bloody brick built, long thin house!

Rides
    Depending on how your router works, you should be able to access it and post up the details it holds regarding your line state.

Synch rate down;
    Synch rate up;
    Attenuation;
    Encapsulation method;

etc, etc.

Will give a good idea of whether you need to make some inhouse changes, or whether your line is just naff

Rides
    use a phone on your broadband line,
    dial 17070, and do option 2 i think, its for the quiet line test..... see if u get any cackles (noise = not good!)
    Alu lines = a cheap way of BT providing lines, but they can support the speeds..

Test socket for starters, but if your router is dropping a lot, despite contention, it could be wiring which is the killer, especially if its old wiring. BT cover the cable upto the master inbound socket, so hopefully you got something that be fixed for cheap ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
    Cool ill try the test socket, bit says on that link that long extension cables to the router can be the issue, I have to use a long cable to get the router to the middle of the house other wise the wireless won't reach anywhere! Bloody brick built, long thin house!
    Dan i have a HAWKING Tech Wirless G Range Extender ( Model HWREG1) sitting here doing nothing .It was used to boost the router signal through the house might help you out

I used to be with Virgin till i changed to a new BB last year my new system doesn't need it any more its Wireless N and with the aerial on the roof i was able to fit my router in the dead centre

You can have it for postage

Rides
    Between 4 and 7, Virgin to traffic balancing, to give everyone signal, I dont know why, but they do!!

However, off that subject, which router do you have? Ive just had a similar problem with my SuperHub, and a quick phonecall (after 3 useless long ones) I got it sorted, and would be happy to run you through how!

Rides
    thanks very much for all the suggestions, i'll start looking into some of that ASAP.

clai, that would be awesome, i will send you a PM with some details, cheers!

Sideways, i'm not sure, it's a netgear one, i'll have a look when i'm home.

Rides
    Virgins ASDL service was pritty shite when i had it. If i where you i'd cancel it and go with O2/Bethere. There service is much better and much less congested - therefore you are more likely to see better speeds at peek times.