Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KPH to MPH Conversion ?

Rides

KPH to MPH Conversion ?

Hello everyone

Firstly I'm very sorry if this is the wrong place to post my problem. But I am very new to forum's and I am still figuring out how to go about navigating this site.

I have a 2001 S15 and am looking to have the speedometer converted to MPH instead of KPH. Does anyone know someone that is Reputable Reliable Trustworthy and above all Honest.

Also what would it involve ? time wise - Is it something that can be done in a couple hours ? and is there someone in the West Midlands that can do it ?

Again very sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question

Thanks

Rides
    Do it on the fly like i did in my 180 for 4 years..... divide by 5, times by 3

Rides
    Or do what I did till I had it to memory....Stick a post-it note ,with the relevant KPH/MPH speeds on it, to the radio surround.

Rides
    Well......I never thought of that Easy007 but I can try it out and see if I can get use to it.

Mapboy that is an EXCELLENT idea I'll definitely be be doing that tomorrow

West Country Rep
    Rides
    I went out and bought a proper speedo converter, did cost like 65quid, but its perfect and doesn't drop out and mess up like the cheap ones!

West Country REO

Rides
    if the speedo chips are like skyline ones they all mess up expensive or not ,the best way is to calibrate it on the solder pads in the back of the speedo the way nissan do it,and its free if you have solder and an iron,all the info you need on here http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=161738 you might have to join though but thats free aswell

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lammy426 View Post
    if the speedo chips are like skyline ones they all mess up expensive or not ,the best way is to calibrate it on the solder pads in the back of the speedo the way nissan do it,and its free if you have solder and an iron,all the info you need on here http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...d.php?t=161738 you might have to join though but thats free aswell
    Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, but I'd bet that the S15 is like the 1996+ 180sx, in that the speedo is a 'unified meter control unit' with a digital odometer and no sign of any adjustment pads (it's probably all set inside the EEPROM that also stores the mileage).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    I went out and bought a proper speedo converter, did cost like 65quid, but its perfect and doesn't drop out and mess up like the cheap ones!
    Thanks Murt, Does this involve having to dismantle the dash ?

Rides
    Thanks for the input guys - I really need help on this and it's not something I think I could tackle either

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_761 View Post
    Thanks Murt, Does this involve having to dismantle the dash ?
    Yes mate, its extremely easy taking the dash out, 2 screws in the top of the black covering, then the black cover pops out, then its 3 screws holding down the instrument panel, remove these screws then you have access to the back of the clocks.

This is the speedo converter i use. Are you coming down for the spring action day at castle combe? If you are i could fit the speedo converter for you.

West Country REO

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Yes mate, its extremely easy taking the dash out, 2 screws in the top of the black covering, then the black cover pops out, then its 3 screws holding down the instrument panel, remove these screws then you have access to the back of the clocks.

This is the speedo converter i use. Are you coming down for the spring action day at castle combe? If you are i could fit the speedo converter for you.
    Murt you sound like a life saver . I'll order the speedo converter, As I think the sat nav isn't accurate enough for me and trying to remember in real time what the speed "REALLY" is, Is distracting at best. So anyone who manages it on a daily basis I take my hat off to

The "Spring action day at Castle Combe" Would you be referring to 12th May ? if so then yes I'm there 110%

Rides
    Cheaper to stick with it! I only had kph dials on my s14 and I dealt with it for 3 years til I sold the car

You do get used to it pretty quick tbh

Rides
    mph kph
    10 = 16
    20 = 32
    30 = 48
    40 = 64
    50 = 80
    60 = 96
    70 = 112
    80 = 128
    90 = 144
    100 = 160
    110 = 176
    120 = 192 The limiter will cut in around here

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Murt you sound like a life saver . I'll order the speedo converter, As I think the sat nav isn't accurate enough for me and trying to remember in real time what the speed "REALLY" is, Is distracting at best. So anyone who manages it on a daily basis I take my hat off to

The "Spring action day at Castle Combe" Would you be referring to 12th May ? if so then yes I'm there 110%
    No the one on the 28th (this Saturday) , the 12th of May is japfest, i don't bother going to it, its a complete and utter chav fest!

West Country REO

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel H View Post
    mph kph
    30 = 48
    40 = 64
    50 = 80
    60 = 96
    70 = 112
    120 = 192 The limiter will cut in around here
    the only ones you'll need

30 - 50
    40 - 65
    50 - 80
    60 - 95
    70 - 110

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy007 View Post
    the only ones you'll need

30 - 50
    40 - 65
    50 - 80
    60 - 95
    70 - 110

Trying to memorize I'll get used to it eventually. Just all new to me at the moment

Rides

Trying to memorize I'll get used to it eventually. Just all new to me at the moment
    lol thats what the post-its for. You look at it enough and it gets stuck in your brain. I've only had issues now that a few areas in town are 20mph.....and that was not on my list lol.
    Had my car 4 years....and don't plan on changing to mph......besides...its fun worrying passengers who think you are at 120 when its more like 70 lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MapBoy View Post
    lol thats what the post-its for. You look at it enough and it gets stuck in your brain. I've only had issues now that a few areas in town are 20mph.....and that was not on my list lol.
    Had my car 4 years....and don't plan on changing to mph......besides...its fun worrying passengers who think you are at 120 when its more like 70 lol
    :P D'oh oh yea lol..... Actually It is fun when your passenger looks at the clock and they shout your going WAY over the speed limit and a few other colourful words thrown into the mix as well <----I've already tried it ......Cheers MapBoy I'm gonna write it down and stick it right where I need it until I've got it in the ol brainbox

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MapBoy View Post
    Yep.. and then when you come to sell it on abroad (as you get sod all for cars here), it's already in kph ready for them

Rides
    I just put some masking tape over the kph numbers and wrote the mph number on it (on the perspex bit not the actual clock)