Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s13 braces

Rides

s13 braces

What braces actually make a difference on an s13 I know a front and rear strut brace makes a difference but what other braces actually make a difference? Ive heard c pillar braces are good and in theory you would think they would stiffen up the huge glass opening at the rear of the car?

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    Depends what you're aim is with the car. I suppose you could go brave mad, front upper front lower rear upper rear lower.

Most serious track cars have been seem welded.
    If its a day to day car a decent suspension setup and front and rear upper braces would suffice.

I've got front upper, rear upper, full cage, coilovers and all adjustable arms etc. though she hasn't been out in a while I think it'll suffice for what i need

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    If I was fitting one brace it would be front lower.

If you can weld you can do this for half the price of a rear brace;

Sorry for very crap pics.

Just the tube between the turrets is 1000% improvement over a rear brace.
    Last edited by cleanhands; 07-05-2012 at 10:54.

Rides
    Well its a road car with a full interior and I dont want to strip it out as I have an s13 for the track already caged etc Im talking more bolt in cages due to this.

Rides
    I found the most effective piece of bracing that makes a real and perceptible difference to the feel and handling of the car was / is the front lower powerbrace, see

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/cat...e5a41ec254d65e

The solid linking cross bar really does seem to tie things in together tightly and in line at the front end very nicely indeed.

Rides
    Any pics of that fitted bud?

Rides
    I've got a powerbrace. advice for anyone who picks one up, make sure you repaint it before it goes on.

like most japanese parts, it has a micron thick layer of paint and will rust to death rather quickly.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    ...make sure you repaint it before it goes on..... it has a micron thick layer of paint and will rust to death rather quickly.
    /\ Quoted for truth

Mine isn't a Nismo original but a copy I got from Driftworks.

Basically the two front lower bolt on chassis members attached to each other by a hefty welded in cross bar, plus plates welded over the U section of said chassis members. Really and perceptibly stiffens things up at the front. Perceptibly as in you can really feel the difference, in contrast with strut top bars both front and back which may have made a difference but not one I could feel through the wheel and the seat of my pants.

Plus which it makes a very good lift jacking point for the front ! Don't do this with a Nismo on my account tho - I don't know how thick the bar is on an original and it might bend. My copy one is as thick as the proverbial and takes it ok.

Will see if I can manage a pic or two when it is less wet and rainy for grovelling on the ground stuff....
    Last edited by Rochester; 08-05-2012 at 10:55.

Rides
    Just srenthening the tension rod mounts like in the spec r is good enough.

Rides
    I also got the Nismo Powerbrace and that is really built solid and you feel a difference

A rear strut brace also makes sense imho as the bar connecting the struts is straigth. Cusco do a rear brace that also connects to the floor of the boot - maybe thats even better

Not too sure about front upper strut braces as they have to be bent which can't help rigidity i think

Christian
    Last edited by Christian; 08-05-2012 at 18:55.

Rides
    I fitted a Cusco Front Strut Top Brace to mine a long time ago. They are bent in design as said by Christian to clear the Plenum but I found it made great deal of difference for not very much money. Was planning on fitting a rear strut top brace as well before it goes back on the road.

Rides
    Is the nismo power brace not designed to strengthen the tension rod mounts?

Rides
    Some "pile of junk" I have installed on my heap

Rides
    I really rate the ultra racing stuff. Build quality is great and the braces all seem very well thought out to actually improve the handling rather than look going.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post

How do they look on the car when installed?

Rides
    Very nice

Last edited by shogun; 19-05-2012 at 11:20.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xargentum View Post
    How do they look on the car when installed?
    4 point lower brace:

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=2502
    Have this and it does sharpen turn-in. Note that it bolts on to the front tension rod mount and the lower arm mount, so may have problems with installation if the front of your chassis has been tweaked in anyway before.

Side lower bar:

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=3313
    Not sure about this one or how it will help?? Maybe someone who has installed it can feedback?
    Last edited by silly80; 18-05-2012 at 03:17.

Banned
    Rides
    I had 3 braces at the rear of my S13 chassis. Did never really feel a difference tbh.

Then i fitted a boltin half rollcage. Which really stiffened the chassis. I then removed and sold all the rear braces and felt no change.

IMHO fitting 50 tons of bars is somewhat useless, if you want a stiff chassis there is the proven way to do it : seam weld and rollcage.

Rides
    I would say half of those ultra racing braces are doing nothing for the car front and rear strut braces definitely make a noticeable difference but as said fitting a cage makes a HUGE difference as my other s13 runs one.