Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Monthly Dublin Meet - 1st Sunday of every month

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant, the 16VE head on the SR20 block. I thought the main advantage was running advanced timing on E85. What's the advantage to the VE conversion on a NA engine on normal pump fuel?
    Higher rev limit, more airflow through the head so more potential for power as the intake cam & exhaust cam separately run different lobes at different RPM - like VTEC, only each cam is activated independantly. Essentially you're taking the SR16VE & adding a 'stroker kit' to it which will give you a lot more torque than the standard 1.6L engine.

E85 was what Colm was doing with his; that was a different project altogether & that was the higher compression engine he was making for taking advantage of E85. It's a coincidence he was going to run the VE head.

Yeah there's a bit of bollocking around to make the heads fit but the likes of TJ or Colm should be able to point you in the right direction as they've each had one if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Trial_S15 View Post
    Did the UK primera GT not have an SR20VE? They are rare here but can be picked up reasonably cheap (the full car) The head is probably a lower spec than the standard 1.6 VZR's though...
    The UK editions came with an SR20DE I remember. According to Wiki there was a JDM only Primera HP11 TE-V that came with an SR20VE.

Quote Originally Posted by NismoNut View Post
    Are you sure VZRs came with ITBs?
    My N1 just had a ordinary inlet plenum
    Yeah VZRs were plenum + normal TBs, I had an N1 TB from the VZR fitted to my S14a at one stage. The Nissan Pulsar GTi-Rs had ITBs & came turbo'd. They were SR20DETs & cam transversally mounted with an AWD system. I'm not sure if they'll bolt up directly to the SR20 from the S15s, worth a look into. The alternatives include Ikeya Formula ITBs that Ken had back in the day, or again Colm has had ITBs that he had planned to put on a red-top SR so worth as ask did he complete that idea & if so how he went about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Excellent advice all round gents, many thanks. An OEM solution would be ideal, as the cheapest aftermarket kit I've found is about $1,500 USD, which I'm not against spending, but obv a cheaper solution would be preferable. Will chat to Colm and see what he has to say on both the headwork and ITBs.

Question, did the S15 SR20DE not come with variable cam timing also, and if so, would gas-flowing rhe head and fitting larier cams not do the same job as fitting the VE head?

Rides
    IIRC the p12 primera has the 20VE in the UK, I might have the GT reference wrong though??

Quote Originally Posted by robbys13 View Post
    Vzr never came with itb. You might be thinking if the almera gti sr20ve they came with itbs.
    Yeah, sorry it was actually the GTi...
    Last edited by Trial_S15; 12-04-2014 at 14:02.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Question, did the S15 SR20DE not come with variable cam timing also, and if so, would gas-flowing rhe head and fitting larier cams not do the same job as fitting the VE head?
    Yeah it did: VVT. VVL: variable valve lift (which is the part that'll make the difference) is what's in the VE heads. So small cam for low revs, larger cam for higher revs. Lumpier cams on a DE head would mean peakier power but sluggish down-low & lumpier idle etc which, on a 4-pot, wouldn't be great I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trial_S15 View Post
    IIRC the p12 primera has the 20VE in the UK, I might have the GT reference wrong though??
    Touché sir! It did come with an SR20VE - the "Primera 20V".
    Last edited by JP; 13-04-2014 at 03:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Thanks JP! Makes sense now