Thread: IMPORTANT! Speed Camera Detectors (even satnav based)

Rides

IMPORTANT! Speed Camera Detectors (even satnav based)

Now this looks like old news but it doesnt seem to have been mentioned on here (feel free to have a go if it has). But in January 2012 France brought in a new law banning devices able to detect speed camera positions. Most sat navs these days are able to detect locations and as such are no longer sold in France with this feature.

After a bit of research all we need to do is disable the speed camera alerts on the satnav. Police are allowed to check the device and if found enabled then you can be hit with a fine of up to 1500 Euros!

So just a quick heads up to you all, be aware and either disable it before you go or sharpish if you get pulled over.

Heres some more info courtesy of Garmin:
    http://www.garmin.com/uk/extras-camera-alerts/#france

Rides
    Gotta love the French and their totally ridiculous laws - they put a speed trap sign up about 600 metres from the site of the actual box on the road, which is always pretty visible anyway, but you're not allowed to have your sat nav tell you it's there

Rides
    whats thel ist of stuff you have to have in your car now as well. and is it true.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    whats thel ist of stuff you have to have in your car now as well. and is it true.
    There's a lot of conjecture. You definitely need bulbs, fuses, hi viz, GB sticker or appropriate number plate Euro sign, headlamp deflectors, breathaliser , and I think that's about it. Others say you must have a warning triangle, but TBH I've never seen that written in stone so to speak.

Rides
    They have a similar rule in Switzerland, when I drove through there last year the Tomtom didn't show any of their camera locations. It was automatically off in the software, I imagine the companies will do the same for France.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtone View Post
    if it bring the price of fuel down Brown better be up a tree taking one up the arse
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Why?

If Dignitas gave you a discount for going early... would you?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    There's a lot of conjecture. You definitely need bulbs, fuses, hi viz, GB sticker or appropriate number plate Euro sign, headlamp deflectors, breathaliser , and I think that's about it. Others say you must have a warning triangle, but TBH I've never seen that written in stone so to speak.
    Arry is right about everything EXCEPT the breathalyser. The law to need one of them doesnt come in until July, so we are safe for Le Mans this years but pretty much any time after you will need to have a breathalyser in the car.

Rides
    But if you have to have the breathalyser in your car you won't be able to use it before you drive! Which makes it pointless

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    But if you have to have the breathalyser in your car you won't be able to use it before you drive! Which makes it pointless
    That's why you'd have 2. They're sold in a twin pack anyway for about a fiver.

Rides
    All seems a bit OTT really. They were miserable gits hosting the tennis last week, and shit at footy last night, do they have much going for them these days!?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    All seems a bit OTT really. They were miserable gits hosting the tennis last week, and shit at footy last night, do they have much going for them these days!?
    Lol,i find it funny you having a dig at the French with a Clio in your sig!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Even the French can have moments of greatness it's the people that irritate me the most, not filling the stadium and booing the players in last weeks tennis made me hate them all a little

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    That's why you'd have 2. They're sold in a twin pack anyway for about a fiver.
    But what if I get drunk, then use one before driving the next day, then get drunk again and use the other one the following day??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    But what if I get drunk, then use one before driving the next day, then get drunk again and use the other one the following day??
    As you're a special case, ensure you have a minimum of at least 12 at any one time
    It's not like you don't carry round a car full of crap as it is...