Thread: Which coilovers?

Rides

Which coilovers?

I'm buying coilovers at the end of the month and not sure which ones to buy

I've got to decide between daiyamas, BC coilovers or HSD DT all are between £500-£600

The car doesn't do many miles, but is mainly for road use with maybe 1 or 2 drift days next year, I have a daily car so a harsh ride doesn't really bother me..

someone help me decide

Rides
    oh and it would be better if anyone knows if you can get spare parts for any of them?

Rides
    I've got Daiyamas and they're good enough out on track however if you decide you want something that actually handles well on normal bumpy roads then suggest you get something that's designed for this.

1 or 2 drift days don't justify the need for harsh coilovers because you'll spend most of your time crashing around and getting the brunt end of exceptionally bad handling

I fitted Meister R coilovers for my daily Lexus and they feel like a factory upgrade system. Perfect for daily use but stiff enough to handle some drifting which I found out at Birmingham Wheels end of last year so Meister R is my best all rounder recommendation (although do some research to see if anyone's fitted them for S14's).

Rides
    Daiyamas felt shit on my car tbh,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mpig View Post
    Daiyamas felt shit on my car tbh,
    I know they're not the best but did 40 mins on Combe at Japfest and they weren't crap by any means...

I'll be aiming to change mine to CS2's or something like Tein Flex if my budget allows before the end of the year

Rides
    My budget is no more than 600, Meister R are about 750 from a quick look. The hsd ones are pretty new so can't see many people having used them.

My mate has some Daiyamas on his is200 but never heard what they're like on an sx.

The bc's seem pretty good and can get them for 600 but don't really want to spend an extra 100 quid when I don't need to!

Rides
    I just replaced my teins with hsd dt and I'm well impressed with them really really good value for money

Rides
    Do a search mate, theres probably 1000 threads on it.

I'm personally running meisters on mine. You'll find most of the coilovers out there are the same Chinese stuff just rebranded to suit each manufacturer regardless of what they might say. Bc, apex, daiyama there all pretty much the same.
    I'd avoid teins like the plague, they may be good, but theyre really expensive for what they are, they probably won't last long and it's nearly impossible to get parts for them.
    If I were to buy any for £500 it'd be the apex ones simply due to the back up offered by apex if anything were to go wrong, I've not had a lot of dealings with them but when I have the service has been top class.

Rides
    Spoke to Bren @ Apex on here?
    You can get whatever spring rate/matching dampers for £529 currently.

I am running 5/4 Comfy Apex Gen2's, and they are great on normal driving, then I can just up the damping when I am on track and have fun

Rides
    Gaz will probably make you custom units for less than £800. And they will be able to service them and/or rebuild as they are UK based.

Just to add, ride is not exclusively down to the coilovers. Bushings have a pretty huge effect on ride compliance too...

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    I have Apex coilovers. Which are fetled with BC's, they are great.

Rides
    I had gen2s on my 14a now running these hsd dts on my 13 and like I said well happy with them I'd go for the DTs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Personally the apex/bc are good value. And handle well. Unless your a super sonic driver youll not notice the difference between spending more money.

Rides
    i'd go gen2's simply because you'll get good aftersales and parts etc from apex plus they are well proven on here and very good value at the moment, i'm fitting some at the moment.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Just to add, ride is not exclusively down to the coilovers. Bushings have a pretty huge effect on ride compliance too...
    As does the amount of tyre sidewall you have. My 18's with 265 / 35 sidewalls were a bloody awful ride compared with 17s with 235 / 45.
    Formula 1 = a significant amount of suspension work is done by the tyre sidewall. Worth considering when spec'ing coilovers anyway

Rides
    Hsd's are good allrounders, I currently run cs2 's and can't fault them