Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent brake bleeding kit

Rides

Decent brake bleeding kit

I suck at bleeding brakes basically. I've tried several different methods on several different cars and I very rarely seem to be able to get them 100%.

What I'd like is a foolproof bit of kit that makes it easy. Like, really easy. And that I can use on loads of different cars. I've tried one of the ones that uses a spare tyre and all it does is blow the reservoir cap off (even at 10psi). A friend and I went halves on a Mityvac kit and we can never seem to get that to seal properly on the bleed nipples so it just sucks air in.

Can anyone recommend something that works? I am willing to spend a fair bit on the right kit.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    My mityvac works really well on everything I've tried bar the landy - if you are pulling in air past the bleed nipples you may need to put a bit of PTFE on the nipple threads, then it should work a lot better

Rides
    I don't think it's pulling air in through the threads, I think it's not sealing on the nipple properly. We've tried it on a few different cars and I've run out of patience with it really.

What I want is one of those jobs where you can switch it on, crack open the nipple, wait for it to run clear, close the nipple, move on to the next one, job done.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Did you get the selection of different sized nipple suckers in the kit ( ) - other than needing to PTFE the threads the first time I use it per vehicle, it's worked perfectly on everything I've tried it on bar the landy..

Only other option are the cheapy bits of hose kits really, and although they claim to be one person, they only seem to work well if you have an assistant who can operate the pedal while you open / close the bleed nipple...

Rides
    Brake bleeding has been doing my nipples in recently also I prefer the theory behind the ones that push the fluid through (pressurise the MC) instead of the ones that suck the fluid out, surely the sucker ones could pull the fluid out too quick and leave air gaps in the lines?

I went to use a MC pressurising one on my race car a month ago but had forgotten that it has two MC's lol. Perhaps I could create a double MC one? They are pretty simple.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples thought's on these points also because I'd like to get a good one also.

I'll look out some links etc.

Dunc.
    Last edited by dunc; 29-06-2012 at 11:17.

Rides
    Here it is:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GUNSON...6#ht_669wt_812

Makes more sense to me than the other way, I'd just have to bodge a "double-ganger" together.

Dunc.

Rides
    Dunc, I used one of those and it was utter shit, really cheaply made and the cap would just blow off the reservoir long before you could get any useful pressure in there.

I'm looking at a Sealey VS820:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-and-...#ht_3883wt_942

Looks like a decent bit of kit!

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Dunc, I used one of those and it was utter shit, really cheaply made and the cap would just blow off the reservoir long before you could get any useful pressure in there.
    Just as well it didn't fit then

That one looks excellent, not suitable if you ever get a car with adjustable brake bias I don't think though so keep that in mind bud (unless blocking the other one works)

Dunc.

Rides

conversely i used the easy bleed on the GF's puma and it was absolutely awesome took seconds

i did attempt to make my own cap for the 200 and that didn't work so well, with correct cap again would be awesome

be aware though max pressure is 20psi if i recall any more than that and the cap will pop off, i think for the puma i only used 10psi or so

Rides
    This was on a Capri we tried to use it and the cap looked like it was the right size but still...

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides

I've got one of those Sealey kits, it works a dream - main thing is to make sure you've noted down the max pressure correctly otherwise the resevoir splits and spits brake fluid all over your car

Rides
    I use one of these. http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...FSsntAodkCbacg and a friend. Never seen the need for a fancy pressurised sucky doodah.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    That's because clearly you're not as inept as me, Steve

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    The biggest thing to ensure with brake bleeding is the bottom of the hose connected to the nipple is below the level of the fluid i the container.

I bought a vac bleeder and while using it discovered that the simple method above also works a treat

Rides
    I know the basics, I've been doing it the old-fashioned way for years. It just never seems to be quite as good as when someone else does it

EDIT: plus, pumping the pedal can damage your master cylinder seals because the piston goes a lot further than it normally would.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    You'll struggle to find a pressure type kit that works well on the sx as it doesn't have a screw top brake fluid reservoir, so the pressure just pops it off. Something like a Ford etc where they have screw caps, they work great.
    I just use the pipe with a slit in it, or a one way valve. Really is a 2 person job as you can't be 100% sure when you pump the pedal that the pipe is still submerged in the waste brake fluid in a little container.

Rides
    Who on here still has an SX?

I was wanting to use it in my Pug initially, I also have an MX-5.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    LOL, true!

Pretty sure they both have screw caps.

Rides
    I'm going to have to eat my words now, borrowed one of the Gunson Eazibleed kits from a mate and it worked brilliantly. Bit of faffing getting the seal on the cap of the filler bottle to sit properly, but other than that, sooooo effortless. Just crack open the nipple and wait for it to run clear

Only other complaint is it does overfill your reservoir, but I guess any pressure bleeding kit will.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Use an Eezi Bleed on my Astra on Saturday after knocking up a new ABS => rear brake pipe. Worked immensely well, I even couldn't be arsed to mess with spare wheels so bunged 32psi though it all