Thread: What coolant

Rides

What coolant

Just Put in my new alloy radiator
    What's best coolant recommended and what colour.
    M reg 200sx

Rides
    Cheapest

A 50/50 mix of glycol based antifreeze and water will be fine.

The others on sale may be claimed as 'long life' and that may well be true, but the 200SX generally seems incapable of retaining coolant long enough to test the claims
    Your new radiator has just made you pour away the last lot; next year it will be a bust hose; or turbo gasket replacement

Rides
    I've always used the 5 year pink stuff from Halfords. Seems to do it's job well and it looks pretty.

Rides
    I just did this to mine last week! I used the blue gylcol stuff. It was Maxol antifreeze and coolant with corrosion inhibitor. It was a concentrate so I picked up 5 litres of distilled water in Tesco to mix it with.
    Do not use tap water if you use concentrate as you will lime scale up the system.
    I mixed it 60/40 water to coolant.

Rides
    i believe most antifreeze has water softeners to reduce the effect of hard water.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by superkev11 View Post
    i believe most antifreeze has water softeners to reduce the effect of hard water.
    I'm not sure of that to be honest. The motorfactors also said to go get distilled water. And for 3.50 quid for 2.5 litres from Tescos(or 5 litres for 3 squids from a chemist) it hardly breaks the bank.
    Or just buy the premixed stuff.
    Last edited by markcro; 28-07-2012 at 00:31.

Rides
    i use the green stuff and in all my years of broken cars, i have never had problem using tap water. interesting thought tho.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by user23456 View Post
    i use the green stuff and in all my years of broken cars, i have never had problem using tap water. interesting thought tho.
    It's not going to cause your engine to overheat and blow up Hollywood style but it does reduce the cooling efficiency and leaves scum lines in your reservoir.

Rides
    London has notably soft tap water, so using that will be fine.

If you live in a hard water area where your kettle gets limescale building up in it, then I'd avoid using that tap water in your car radiator. The same big flakes that appear in the kettle, willl also be forming inside your radiator.

At home in WF16 the water is fine. At work 15miles away in WF7, I wouldn't use it

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    I last used pink stuff from Halfords. A -30 degree one IIRC so should be fine regardless of the weather we have! Its pink, it does the job and I haven't lost it since I replaced my turbo a couple of years ago.

Rides
    I use the Comma stuff, places like Wilco sell it. It's thick stuff so go's a long way but does a brilliant job.

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/300

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    I use the Comma stuff, places like Wilco sell it. It's thick stuff so go's a long way but does a brilliant job.

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/300
    The anti-freeze in your link looks fine for use in a 200SX, until you describe it as 'thick stuff'

Thick stuff, really ?
    Goes a long way: Sounds more like paint

Rides
    OEM Nissan green coolant, always used it....in my 560bhp R32 and my 360bhp red top sr.
    Good stuff

Rides
    Wrong way around - London is very hard, limescale galore! Soft as hell down here in Cornwall, never had to even clean limescale off of dishwasher/kettle - they are spotless

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    London has notably soft tap water, so using that will be fine.

If you live in a hard water area where your kettle gets limescale building up in it, then I'd avoid using that tap water in your car radiator. The same big flakes that appear in the kettle, willl also be forming inside your radiator.

At home in WF16 the water is fine. At work 15miles away in WF7, I wouldn't use it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelle View Post
    OEM Nissan green coolant, always used it....in my 560bhp R32 and my 360bhp red top sr.
    Good stuff
    When I went to Nissan to buy coolant it was the blue stuff. So I have used the blue stuff ever since.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    When I went to Nissan to buy coolant it was the blue stuff. So I have used the blue stuff ever since.
    They wernt using nissan genuine coolant then.
    My local nissan dealer sells two types...oem Nissan green coolant and Comma coolant which is cheaper (the dealers get ripped by nissan uk)