Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement sills GB MAXED OUT!

Rides
    Put me down for a pair of comprehensive s14a please Thanks.

Rides
    Are these just outer skins ?

For the 13, do they stretch to the rear arch ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pete0z View Post
    Put me down for a pair of comprehensive s14a please Thanks.
    Added.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Are these just outer skins ?

For the 13, do they stretch to the rear arch ?
    Yes. The bigger part in the pictures is for replacing the main part of the outer sill and goes to the seam that is at the rear of the door shut. The OE sills then tuck in behind the RQP and continue to meet the B pillar base. This is very hard for me to reproduce. Ive done it on my project shell but its not really possible to do it making them by hand in any numbers.

The best solution Ive come up with is for the larger section to go from near the front wing and up to the seam in the door shut. The small section is for replacing the lower part of the RQP that goes from that seam to the rear wheel arch.

The panels that Im supplying are basically whats in the pictures but are unpainted mild steel and will be a better finish in general i.e. the larger curved part will be a smoother radius than what is on the prototypes in the pictures.

Rides
    Can you put me down for a set of basic sills s14a please. Whens the latest i can pay as my payday isnt till the 25th.

Rides
    Ha just noticed im already on the list

Rides
    I'm curious whether its possible to make a similar pattern for inside sill aswell as they are also renound for going.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xistance1986 View Post
    I'm curious whether its possible to make a similar pattern for inside sill aswell as they are also renound for going.
    I guess this is what I was really asking too. I don't think I need them yet so, for me, it was just idle curiosity but inner sills are quite likely to have gone if the outers have, particularly on S13s which didn't come with skirts on the standard cars.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xistance1986 View Post
    I guess this is what I was really asking too. I don't think I need them yet so, for me, it was just idle curiosity but inner sills are quite likely to have gone if the outers have, particularly on S13s which didn't come with skirts on the standard cars.
    What do you refer to as the inner sill? The bit that tucks under the RQP or the proper inner sill that runs along the floor pan? The part that tucks under the RQP is difficult to make by hand because you have to basically hammer it into shape. It is possible but would really need some kind of buck to use to knock it into shape. The inner sill that runs along the floor pan would prob be easier to make than the outer but it would be necessary to cut a sill open to get accurate measurements.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rob192 View Post
    I'll take a pair of S13 basic sills. Is it alright if I make a deposit payment on the 27th?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoonanS14A View Post
    Can you put me down for a set of basic sills s14a please. Whens the latest i can pay as my payday isnt till the 25th.
    Id need the deposit latest 5 September. Full payment any time after that, I will ship the sills out once I have made them(will be approximately end of September) after full payment has been taken.
    Last edited by spice_weazle; 18-08-2012 at 20:02.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    What do you refer to as the inner sill? The bit that tucks under the RQP or the proper inner sill that runs along the floor pan? The part that tucks under the RQP is difficult to make by hand because you have to basically hammer it into shape. It is possible but would really need some kind of buck to use to knock it into shape. The inner sill that runs along the floor pan would prob be easier to make than the outer but it would be necessary to cut a sill open to get accurate measurements.
    Sorry mate, I know I'm giving the problem and not answers and I don't want you to think that I don't think what you are doing is great. It is. It's just that when people open up their sills, (they usually go on the S13 at the very back, on/by the rear quarter panel) what they usually find is that there is an inner skin and a jacking support bracket (which sits very close to the outer skin) that have rotted away too. Often this is due to the drainage for the sunroof. If you look at Petrol's restoration thread it will give you are really good idea of the make-up of the sill and damage that occurs.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Id need the deposit latest 5 September. Full payment any time after that, I will ship the sills out once I have made them(will be approximately end of September) after full payment has been taken.
    Spot on, i will be paid before then so i can just pay in full straight away

Rides
    Not sure if its helpful or not but ive got a pair of sills on an S13 ive cut off whole if you needs pics or dimensions ?

Rides
    Sorry mate, I know I'm giving the problem and not answers and I don't want you to think that I don't think what you are doing is great. It is. It's just that when people open up their sills, (they usually go on the S13 at the very back, on/by the rear quarter panel) what they usually find is that there is an inner skin and a jacking support bracket (which sits very close to the outer skin) that have rotted away too. Often this is due to the drainage for the sunroof. If you look at Petrol's restoration thread it will give you are really good idea of the make-up of the sill and damage that occurs.
    I know what your saying as Ive done the same repair to my s14 project shell and have made the inner sill sections you refer to for a few other peoples s14's on here. I have also recently made some repair sections for the part of the inner sill on an s14 that protrudes into the rear arch that doesnt need major surgery to fit. Im hoping to get some feedback soon on them. My problem is I only have experience of the internal structure an of s14 shell, though, not s13 so I cant really offer parts I have no experience of. Also Im doing this in my spare time so can only go so far at one time. Id be happy to do some R&D into the inner sill sections if I could get access to the internals of a shell but I cant go as far as buying a shell to cut up for R&D purposes. When I did the repairs to my shell I didnt take detailed measurements, though I do have basic templates, because I never thought I would be asked to make any more up. In hind sight I should of done. I have my old s14 Id be able to get measurements from because that is going to be scrapped but no s13 shell.
    Last edited by spice_weazle; 19-08-2012 at 06:49.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulpen View Post
    Not sure if its helpful or not but ive got a pair of sills on an S13 ive cut off whole if you needs pics or dimensions ?
    PM on its way.

Rides
    I may have to drop off this group buy this time round, but will be interested in a future group buy. My MOT failed worse than I thought so I need to spend out on some other parts

Rides
    put me down for a complete pair of s14 ones please.

Rides
    deposit paid for a set of s13's mate..

Rides
    If its any help. I am about to cut the sills out on my s13. Its currently sat stripped and ready to go. If you can give me details of what measurements you would like then I can probably help you out.

Let me know if that would be of use to you.

Rides
    Rich could you Put me down for a set of s14 part sills please?. The top half seems fine on both sides its just the lower parts f**ked

Will you be making rails under the floor as mine seem a little squeezey?

Rides
    Put me down for a comprehensive set for s13