Thread: Which bank?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    which is part of ..................hsbc

santander....cnuts
    lloys..........cnuts
    hsbc ............not cnuts
    It's part of hsbc but the customer service is much better, believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    +1 for first direct, the only bank I've been with who have yet to put me into a steaming rage. I also bank with HSBC who have been fine, the cust service is a little better at first direct - it is nice to be able to talk to someone with a clue on the end of the phone

Stay the fcuk away from Santander, spawn of the devil

Rides
    I've been with Nationwide since I was 11. Yeah, I know they are a building society.

Never had an issue. Were very helpful when I was trying to work out the best method of dealing with an international sale on my Integra as well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    I've been with Nationwide since I was 11. Yeah, I know they are a building society.

Never had an issue. Were very helpful when I was trying to work out the best method of dealing with an international sale on my Integra as well.
    +1 go with a mutual. All profits get given back to the customers so no share holders. Plus they often have the best mortgage deals come renewal time.

All banks are the same, just go for one with the most convenience for you i.e branches etc.

Im with Barclays and have been for 20 years without a single fault, but then I certainly don't get anything from them. Its taken them bloody ages to sort a banking app, but the one they have released is pretty awesome. I've been considering changing for a while but i just need that 'push'

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben8000 View Post
    I wouldn't touch Santander with a barge pole. Constant feck ups, recently my dad tried to transfer a few k out of his life savings account and they managed to lose the lot, including the fact he even had an account with them for the last few decades. Took him months to get it back.
    Now see Santander / Abbey have never fcuked up for me. That's the thing with recommendations, I guess, everyone has their own experiences.

Rides
    First direct have been bad for me this last year, I had a joint account that I then turned into a single account just for paying my household bills from, I regularly transferred £1200 a month to cover everything and this last year I had some bad luck and big bills so ended up up to the 1k overdraft limit I had, I kept topping it up but due to obscene gas and electric charges I went over the 1k overdraft limit twice in 3 months and needed to top it up to get back out of my overdraft, I was still in my overdraft 700-800 but not over the limit, then all of a sudden last month without warning they withdrew it via a letter in the post and they did it two days after my £1200 went over, so I ended up with about £200 in there and no way to cover all my mortgage payment, household bills and the other 4-5 direct debits, when I phoned them they said they review there overdrafts annually and the don't deem me suitable for one, they also said they tried to contact me but I received nothing... So I've had to scrape together 1k to cover my house rather than default on all the payments, I also got charged £125 in 5 failed direct debit charges
    Needless to say im not happy with first direct and pulling the plug on my overdraft when I'm struggling a little just made it all ten times worse and made my credit history look terrible.
    Oh and they would not add my girlfriend onto the account 6 months ago as she had little credit history or borrowing records

Now I'm with lloyds and all seems much better, local branch is helpful and ebanking very good

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazoobe View Post
    Barclays - when I got made redundant and had to go into a debt management plan they instantly closed my account (leaving me with no bank account and nowhere for my jobseekers allowance to be paid into) and handed it over to a debt collection agency (to collect what I owed as overdraft), I had been with them for about 16yrs (since I was 13). Admittedly up until then I was happy with them.
    Similar story, I got made redundant and took on temp work (monthly - weekly paid) so mucked up a load of direct debts. Basically, I went in for some help and advice and their advice was terrible. Well, it worked out much better for them
    I took great delight at reclaiming bank charges and HPI back them.

I then went to Abby National who were taken over by Santander. Ok so far, the online banking is good and they've been helpful on the odd times I've been in the branch.

Rides
    I say go with Nationwide, a BS but better than any bank I have ever used! I currently still have an account with barclays but swapped nationwide to my main account when I opened it. I had been with barclays since I was 13ish yet when I went to get quotes for a loan at 18 nationwide were 2% cheaper!! barclays had no interest in rewarding loyalty at all they also liked adding little charges for stuff which nationwide dont do.

Rides
    Although I'm sure you've seen a running theme here Mark, don't go with Santander.

I've had accounts with them since birth. I've had loans, debit cards etc (but never a credit card). I've had no issues with them whatsoever.
    So much so the wife decided to open her account there and then a joint account etc.

She's had nothing but trouble. Transferring £££'s into different accounts to pay bills etc and the cashiers giving it to strangers.
    Money being pulled out of an account by a service only to put us into debt as they didn't transfer our wages in when they should have.
    Their online service I do use, but I don't particularly like. Too much clutter, badly organised and slow.

If you're after a credit card, Barclays have a nice enough online system, but I can't vouch for any other service.

I think the wife is looking to move to Natwest. Suffice to say, we'll probably move wherever works out financially best for us at the time.

Rides
    Barclays - Interest rate riggers
    HSBC - Money Launderers
    Lloyds - owned by Team GB - they own HBOS - HBOS were cnuts
    Santander - Spanish bank - they're in a crisis

I'm with Natwest / RBS they experienced a major computer (operator) failure and took ages to fix - didn't affect me really but others were.

However saying that, HSBC / Barclays are the banks that are financially in better health

Rides
    I'm going to go against the grain here. I switched to Santander from HSBC a year ago. The switching service was spot on, all of my DDs went out as they were supposed to, and on the one occasion I've had to contact customer service (for an internet banking issue) they were very helpful.

Plus they gave me £100 for switching and 5% interest on any credit balance up to £2500, which is considerably better than I was getting on my ISA. I transferred a lump from there, which must have earned me another £70-80 in interest over the past year

Well worth it IMO.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Cant say i've had much in the way of troubles with Natwest, even over there computer balls up: they refunded me all charges and interest, and gave me free money transfers in my recent house purchase.

They fill in forms for me and send them through simply requiring my signature - to authorise an additional name on an account and open a new joint account!

In the past they have arranged loans for me over the phone and put the money into my account before i have signed any paperwork, and even given me interest free overdrafts to cover the clearance time for the loan!

Can't fault them really, and yes I do pay for the privilage!

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides

Pennies worth.

Another Money Saving Expert link here, but even more relevant to this thread:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...s-close-behind

Personally I have had very poor in branch service from Abbey Nat, & this was continued by Santander on their take over, but at call centre level, when they took over an Alliance & Leicester savings account I have.

My main individual/personal account is with NatWest & I have had this since 1981. I recall vividly being told in my branch (now closed) that "they no longer offered personal banking" & "that in the modern world no one should expect it."

A year later they launched their 'Helpful Banking' campaign....

Still, like most of us, lethargy & inertia has meant I have not moved my account even though I fully intended to on several occasions. However, over the last few years I have no complaints to report.

For a recent business account needed to run a business I bought, I chose HSBC. Mostly OK, but their business account call centre is often impossible to speak to (round & round in an automated system for an inordinate length of time on two occasions so far, & long delays otherwise) & my 'Branch Business Advisor' who really sold me on taking the account, left them 4 months into my time with them, - after 6 years working for HSBC in that role....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Cant say i've had much in the way of troubles with Natwest, even over there computer balls up: they refunded me all charges and interest, and gave me free money transfers in my recent house purchase.

They fill in forms for me and send them through simply requiring my signature - to authorise an additional name on an account and open a new joint account!

In the past they have arranged loans for me over the phone and put the money into my account before i have signed any paperwork, and even given me interest free overdrafts to cover the clearance time for the loan!

Can't fault them really, and yes I do pay for the privilage!
    Yer I am currently an Advantage Gold user and had my account since i was 16 and upto now not really had any real issues. However they are currently trying to screw me out of a grand and if the situation doesnt get resolved then I will be moving my accounts.

Thanks for the replies, looks like First Direct might be worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I've been with Lloyds for years. Gold account, £2000 got free AA (basic), mobile ins, travel ins. Now they are going to start charging £9/month.

Santander will pay interest on that cash in a current account and gives discounts on supermarket, fuel and some direct debits.

So I think I'm going to have 2 accounts and empty the Lloyds one into the Santander each month.

I've seen a colleague lugging a fob thing around to use internet banking so HSBC is out.

Rides
    lloyds premier ftw

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    I've seen a colleague lugging a fob thing around to use internet banking so HSBC is out.
    The fob thing does suck, but compared to others I've seen, it's quite small and not overly inconvenient:

Still, I'd rather not have it, or at least change the implementation of it. I hear some banks only use them for setting up a new payee, which would be OK.

Rides
    The bottom line is, if you keep enough money in your account, they're all fine

I've been with Santander (previously Abbey) since a kid, and the only time I've had any 'issues' is when I've created them by going overdrawn, not having enough cash in the bank, etc. Yes, they then hit you with absurd fees and threats. But so does pretty much every other bank. Since I became far better with my money 4-5 years ago, I've not had a single problem. The online banking is quick and doesn't need a stupid fob/calculator like HSBC or Barclays, opening accounts takes seconds (currently got a 3.15% savings too account I opened last week to replace the old one), all linked together on one card too.

Not saying they are the best bank, because they aren't I'm sure, but I know one thing: if you want to pretty much guarantee a branch in any town, go with them.

Rides
    I don't know what's wrong with a fob thing. I don't get strange desires to do online banking when I'm out and about, so I don't carry mine around with me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with a fob thing. I don't get strange desires to do online banking when I'm out and about, so I don't carry mine around with me.
    I was thinking the same. And if I do get a strange desire, got internet banking on the phone anyway..