Thread: Newbie / Ignoramus seeking advice... be gentle

Rides

Newbie / Ignoramus seeking advice... be gentle

My 144K S13's oem speakers are breaking down and bits of paper floating apart, buzzing noises and basically end of their useful life.

I want to replace them with something decent that fits in like for like with no clever stuff, inexpensive - that doesn't mean cheap, it means good quality at a good price - that doesn't need anything more than unscrew, screw in and plug 'n play....

Anyone ?

Rides
    JBL 6x4s into existing door pods.

should be about to pick them up for 20 delivered on ebay.

heres a set for 32 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-6-x4-4...item19cd51df8e

but theres a reason your speakers broke in the first place....

Rides
    ^ agree for once
    As firestorm seems to be getting on to tho, upgrade to an even better speaker, like 6.5 inch round ones, all u need to do is cut out a plastic speaker bracket and away u go, think the max depth is about 60-65mm to not get hit by the window in its down position

Rides
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    but theres a reason your speakers broke in the first place....
    Not sure there is beyond age.... looking at them and touching them the surrounding brown paper bits supporting the centre are tinder dry and turn into flakes and powder at the slightest touch. I'm not running anything heavy by way of head unit or amplifier, simple standard Kenwood headset with no more. Simply age I think.

Quote Originally Posted by craiglancs View Post
    upgrade to an even better speaker, like 6.5 inch round ones, all u need to do is cut out a plastic speaker bracket and away u go
    Do you mean cut out a bit of the existing plastic speaker bracket or the support bracketry surrounding the speaker itself ? or both ???

I did say newbie.... and I meant it ! Thanks for bearing with me...

Rides
    PS. What about the rear speakers ? again, same question, a decent simple replacement same size and shape or with minimum fettling but decent value for money quality...

Rides
    To fit bigger 6.5" speakers try these:

Front

Back

They're in the US but they're quite cheap.

I think infinity and JBL both do replacement speakers which should go in without any modification. You want speaker size 4x6 if you don't get the brackets.

Rides
    those things that seraphon has put links to look good, i made my own out of mdf, 9mm thick mdf, that way it gives u a decent mounting depth for bigger speakers.
    I should have painted the mdf tho as the water is starting to get into the wood. U could make your own out of plastic also and save spending the money. I have a nice softish bendy plastic bos which i'm gonna cut up to make new brackets when i cba doing it to replace the mdf. I'll be beefing up the plastic tho to make it fatter for mounting depth as said cos my speaker magnets are quite big

Rides
    I've used plastic chopping boards to make similar brackets. It can be cut just like MDF. Like this £3-29 from tesco

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=256185906

Don't use ones that have been used to cut up onions though as it will make your car niff

Rides
    Good idea Jonny, nice and pliable and fat, some plastics will just shear and snap

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by craiglancs View Post
    Good idea Jonny, nice and pliable and fat, some plastics will just shear and snap
    I've cut them with a hole saw (slowly to avoid fumes ) and used a junior hacksaw, a crosscut saw and a jigsaw without having any trouble with it snapping etc. then just cleaned the edges up with a rasp, bastid file and sandpaper.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    Thanks guys.

Not sure there is beyond age.... looking at them and touching them the surrounding brown paper bits supporting the centre are tinder dry and turn into flakes and powder at the slightest touch. I'm not running anything heavy by way of head unit or amplifier, simple standard Kenwood headset with no more. Simply age I think.

Do you mean cut out a bit of the existing plastic speaker bracket or the support bracketry surrounding the speaker itself ? or both ???

I did say newbie.... and I meant it ! Thanks for bearing with me...
    underpowering speakers kills them quicker than overpowering them (too a point)

see this on clipping - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28audio%29

MDF rings are fairly easy to make up, but if uve never done it, ul get very frustrated when you mess up, or things dont go as plan.

from what your saying, either order something pre built, or go with the existing 6x4 size.

IMO 9mm MDF is a little thin for mounting speakers, but im used to mounting fairly weighty drivers so maybe 9mm is fine for less heavy stuff. but if your going to the effort of making a baffle, just do it in 12.5, ive seen people use solid ali an inch thick, but maybe thats a little OTT

its all about mass, you dont want movement, the only movement you want in or around the speaker is the cone. ive gone to extremes to stop rattling/panel flex in the past.

the thinner more flexible the mounting surface, the more it moves when the speaker plays some bass notes. this isnt what you want.

im not sure whats in the back of an S13, ive got a PS13, so the rears are 6.5s in the shelf, but again the shelf is so flipping thin that it moves up and down.
    Last edited by FireStorm; 11-10-2012 at 21:12.

Rides
    whats the size on the rears as standard ??

Rides
    6x4