Thread: 1997 Chargespeed Silvia RB project aka "Charlie"

Rides
    Lovely is all I can say!
    For some reason the second pic on the original post reminds me of an Evo

Rides
    Cheers man.

Maybe it's the kouki spoiler.

Rides
    Managed at long last to shoe horn the engine and gearbox in today.

Not much room for a downpipe though which is a bit of a concern

But looking pretty so far

Now comes the fun part of wiring it all back together.

Rides
    Awesome stuff!

Rides
    Just got back from the Le Mans 24 hour. Whilst I was there I managed to err.... "find" this awesome Nissan Nismo banner which will be hung up in the garage soon

It's so big I had to fold it over to take a picture in the lounge lol

We got straight to work on the gearbox mount which is now almost complete. All fabrication is done and stone chipped. Just wants painting.

Rides
    Update: Got a hold of some splitfires

And finished the gearbox mount and got it bolted up. My mate Rich has a high vis fetish and as he built the gearbox mount he insisted it was only fair he got to choose the colour... High vis orange of course lol.

Also with the nice weather I wanted to see how the bay looked in direct sunlight so took it outside for some snaps. So happy with it...

Rides
    Not given up with this. Getting married next week and the new house is taking all my time at the moment and need to fix the roof on the garage before I can move the car in. I have however been buying parts so it's all coming together nicely.

Rides
    Time for the annual update. Since my last update I've got married and moved house. With the new house the garage was in a bad way so before I moved the car in to its new home it stayed at my buddies house whilst we gave the garage a makeover. It's amazing what a lick of paint, some lighting and a new floor can do to a garage.

The paint guns messy bastad though lol

So car building progress has been slow to say the least but I've made some good progress.

After what seemed like the impossible I managed to finally source a propshaft which has been modified, balanced and fitted. For anyone reading this who is having a hard time finding an RB25 front propshaft half it turns out the front half from a Nissan Terrano/Ford Maverick is much easier to find and slides straight in.

Whilst the car was in the air I sorted out the fuel lines and relocated the fuel filter lower down so it's not cluttering up the engine bay.

With the car now back on the ground and the drivetrain all hooked up I started on the oil cooler. I decided to do away with the factory oil cooler/warmer as I had my GReddy setup from the SR20 and it also means I can simplify the coolant lines for the heater matrix after bodging the Skyline and Silvia hoses together. See how much neater they are in the before and after.

I got hold of a filter to block adapter from Jay20 and fitted a sand which plate for my oil temp sensors and a Mocal thermostatic plate for the oil cooler lines.

Oil cooler mocked into place.

Also mocked up the intercooler pipe work from the SR and as if by magic they fit directly into the holes that we randomly cut with the intention of getting custom pipe work built up for.

I'm now in the boring and painful process of straightening out each of the individual fins on the Intercooler and Radiator as they have all been bent up over the years and I want them to look as good as possible before I polish them up before fitting them.

Whilst this is going on I sent my inlet, fuel rail and compressor housing off to be polished by Bracknell metal polishers. Turned around in less than a week and I'm well happy with how they came out.

Also managed to source a polished throttle body to finish it off.

I'm far too impatient so dry fitted everything again to see how it looks lol

So now once the intercooler and radiators been polished up I can properly fit the like cooler, Intercooler and Radiator, then I can fit the inlet manifold and fuel rail, Intercooler pipe work for the Inlet side, just found the injectors need the o-rings replaced so will probably get them flow checked at the same time.

We'll get there one day.

Rides
    Cheers Evilchap.

Being an import my car has an apparently quite rare triple gauge cluster fitted just above the cd player which shows Boost, Voltage and Oil Pressure. Little did I know at the time that I should've probably kept the oil pressure sender and the wiring when i sold my engine loom as now I have no idea how to wire it back up with my RB25 conversion loom and if it will even work but apparently I needed a Z32 Oil pressure sender which I now have. But because I have done away with the RB25 oil modene thing I had nowhere to mount the sender. Apparently the Non turbo R33 didn't have a modene either and the sender is fitted just above the oil filter housing so with a spacer I have managed to fit my z32 sender there instead.

hopefully when I wire it up it will work.

Also I finally managed to sell my GReddy manifold as it didn't give me enough space for a downpipe. After some research and with the money from selling it I decided to go with a "Steam Pipe" manifold from Hybrid Performance in New Zealand which now puts the turbo right where I want it with plenty of clearance all round.

Jobs left to do.

1 - Finish installing the inlet manifold
    2 - Bleed the clutch
    3 - Fit a new fuel pump
    4 - Relocate battery to the boot
    5 - Get a downpipe made up
    6 - Get the intercooler pipes modified

Rides
    Wow, incredible stuff

Rides
    I stand by my previous statement, I love this build, top work

Rides
    What was the quality on the Hybrid Performance manifold like?

Rides
    You know Quail, when I was doing my research a few people said that it was a strong manifold but the welds weren't great. Either I was blinded in my excitement when opening it up or they've sacked there welder but I couldn't fault it myself. There customer service is excellent, the welds look perfectly OK to me, fitment was spot on and there's no ugly mess where the tubes all collect inside. I've never seen a 6 boost manifold to compare and from what I hear they're in a different league but for the money I paid I can't grumble.

Rides
    Your brake pipes are amazing! I replaced a couple a little while ago, hoping to get the sort of standard you have but to no avail! Pain in the arse to work with!

Rides
    Lovely work. Engine bay is going to be stunning

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leno View Post
    Your brake pipes are amazing! I replaced a couple a little while ago, hoping to get the sort of standard you have but to no avail! Pain in the arse to work with!
    Yea I lost count how many hours I put into them. Bending, flaring, binning them then starting over again. Never done them before so that was a big learning curve for me. Definately a job that requires patience lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Lovely work. Engine bay is going to be stunning
    Cheers Sean

Rides
    Did this car ever get finished? Looks great!

Rides
    Fairplay this is awesome, would love to see this finished result if it got finished

Some of the touches and attention to detail are awesome

Rides
    Need to update the thread as I've managed to sort a couple of little bits. Pretty much got everything required to finish the build but haven't touched it since my boy was born 7 months ago. Planning to get in the garage this weekend coincidently as I've forgotten what's left to do.