Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1997 Chargespeed Silvia RB project aka "Charlie"

Rides
    nice work. its great to see someone taking time and thinking about their build.
    think you will struggle with the injectors sitting at that angle, i tried it recently and it looked good but i couldnt get the connectors on.

Rides
    Oh my god. Last update was October 2015. That's embarrassing. Where do we begin.

Had to take some time out due to the birth of my first born Son. Welcome to the world Max Williams born 08/04/16. He doesn't know it yet but he hates football and has a strong passion for Japanese cars.

So. Next job to get sorted was to build the downpipe. I ordered some 3" stainless steel pipe and a couple of bends and began cutting away whilst my Dad spot welded the pieces together.

Once the exhaust was built I handed it over to the guys a JD Modified to tig weld it up properly and sure enough she fits perfectly.

It looks like a piece of art but unfortunately this will be wrapped later on as I don't want any yellowing in the engine bay.

The exhaust outlet on the back of the Holset is a nightmare to find a vband for so the guys at JD Modified managed to weld a stainless 3" vband to the back of it which allows me to use a regular v band clamp

Fuel pump was next so the standard pump was replaced with an in tank Walbro 450LPH which should be more than capable for the job.

Next the exhaust manifold needed some modifications to position the Tial 44mm wastegate in place. The final position isn't brilliant as it sits fairly close to the downpipe and will no doubt get pretty hot but I'm planning on making some sort of heat shield as well as wrapping the downpipe so hopefully won't cause to much of an issue.

One final test fit before the manifold comes off for wrapping. I love a "test fit"

So manifold off. Let the wrapping begin. This stuff is nasty. I wetted the wrap down and wore gloves but still managed to get covered in the stuff. Itchy as hell but well worth the hassle in my opinion as I think it looks great and will hopefully save my bay from any yellowing

Really please with the final result and not bad if I say so myself considering it's my first attempt.

Also got round to polishing the Intercooler up to 1200 grit.

Before:

After:

Just need to get the Dremel on the cooling bars and will most likely wet and dry again with 2000 and maybe 2500 grit paper before I'm happy with it.

I've also done a few more bits since then but haven't got any pictures so will update ASAP.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post
    nice work. its great to see someone taking time and thinking about their build.
    think you will struggle with the injectors sitting at that angle, i tried it recently and it looked good but i couldnt get the connectors on.
    I see what you mean. I'll worry about this when I get to it lol.

Rides
    My god this thing is cool! Loving the attention to detail!

Rides
    I don't think I touched on the relocated power steering reservoir. Keeping with the theme the power steering reservoir was relocated to a more subtle location. I got hold of an R34 power steering tank and modified the existing bracket and fitted it next to the rad behind the near side headlight. Well hidden yet still practical.

Continuing with the theme the radiator fans have been installed as well as the oil cooler

Expansion tank relocated to behind the slam panel. I used a plastic sample bottle from work and used a mountain bike bottle holder to hold it securely in place. Again tucked out the way yet easy enough to get to should I ever need to.

Downpipe wrapped

The compressor outlet vband for Holsets also proved to be a nightmare to find but the guys at compressor racing really are helpful when it comes to Holsets. Managed to source this great big compressor outlet but seeing as I only needed the band cut off to weld to my 2.5" pipework it didn't matter. They also supplied a genuine Vband and rubber seal too. The pipe just needs smoothing and polishing before it's ready to go on

Another tricky part to find is a suitable Holset drain pipe. Most of the Holset RB25's I see switch to an AN10 drain braided fittings which goes against the Manufactures guidelines. Holset recommend a minimum ID of 19mm. I think the ID of an AN10 hose is about 14mm which is less than ideal. I measured the ID of the factory return plug into the block which is about 18mm...

...so a simple piece of rubber hose and a couple of jubilee clips is all that's required. Compressor racing saved the day once again with an original Holset drain pipe and gasket. All I had to do was cut the 90 degree bend off and fit the hose. Jobs a goodun.

Unrestricted -4 turbo oil feed fitted.

Because I wouldn't be using the old turbo water return I decided to get an adapter made up to fit my GReddy water temp sensor in its place. The adapter didn't appear to exist online so Japdrifter at Pertek in Slough managed to fabricate me a fitting from scratch. Top man.

Managed to remove all the old exhaust manifold studs without snapping a single one. Couldn't believe my luck.

New studs and hardware alongside the old studs ready to fit.

Also managed to find me a set of RB25 rocker cover bolts with brand new rubber washers. Bearing in mind Nissan wanted about £2.50 each for one this full set came in at a bargain and should really set the theme off nicely.

I decided to ditch the Z32 AFM for an R35 AFM. I was pushed for room for a good sized air filter as you can see in this picture....

So I will be welding the R35 bung to the underside of the turbo inlet pipe to give the appearance of a MAF less setup whilst giving me extra room to fit a decent size filter.

Last thing I managed to find was a brand new Apexi Power FC with hand controller. Got it for a steal. I was tempted to go Link but tbh funds just couldn't stretch that far and besides. If it worked well in 1996 it'll work well enough now.

I have also decided in future I will most likely ditch the fibreglass bodywork and go back to the cars original bodywork as I am fed up with cracking fibreglass. So far I have managed to source a genuine Kouki front bumper with genuine GReddy front lip

As well as a genuine Zenki rear bumper with genuine spats

I'm a currently on the lookout for a set of genuine Navan sideskirts so please shout me if you know of any going.

Hoping to have the turbo side finally installed and gaskets squished up by the end of the Easter weekend so will update again once I've finished.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good choice of factory aero pretty sure I know the car that front bumper came off too, it should be mint
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Nice to see Photobucket has royally F****D my WIP thread.

Rides
    For anybody wondering, this build is still very much a WIP. infact the engine swap is almost complete and finally runs. You can follow the build on my Instagram account since Photobucket messed it all up.

Instagram account: @benkid08

https://instagram.com/p/BjgJmY-nDXW/

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Info you use google chrome with the photobucket patch it should show fine
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Info you use google chrome with the photobucket patch it should show fine

Whaaaaaaaaat? All my pictures are working again? How did you do that?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Wish I could take the credit mate. Haven’t done a thing.