Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota AD banned for encouraging irresponsible driving

Rides

Toyota AD banned for encouraging irresponsible driving

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1...d-ad-watchdog/

Toyota has been banned from running an online animated ad that features a speeding car being followed by a police helicopter, before bursting through a glass barrier.

The ad, created by Saatchi & Saatchi, ran earlier this year and attracted a number of complaints to the Advertising Standard Association (ASA), arguing that the ad was irresponsible and condoned dangerous driving.

The ad promoted the Toyota GT86 model and was set in an animated virtual world, in which a male character described not being real and how he had no feeling, until he drove the GT86.

The car was shown being driven at speed, followed by a police helicopter, and being chased through narrow virtual streets. The car was then shown escaping the city and following signs to "the end of the world". The vehicle burst through a glass barrier onto a real road.

Toyota claimed in its defence of the ad that it did not condone or encourage unsafe or irresponsible driving, and that when designing the ad, it had paid particular attention to the Highway Code and the CAP Code.

In particular, Toyota said the ad was clearly set in an animated, artificial and fantasy world, which therefore did not reflect reality. Furthermore, Toyota argued that the driver was never shown to be out of control of the car and his behaviour did not endanger himself or others.

Toyota also made a point of stating that the two complaints were the only ones they had received about the ad, which had been viewed by 1.3 million people on YouTube and a shorter version which had been broadcast on TV.

Google, the owner of YouTube, said the ad did not breach any of its internal policies and asserted that it was the responsibility of advertisers to ensure that its ads obeyed applicable and the CAP Code.

In making its ruling, the ASA acknowledged the ad was set in a fantasy world, but ruled that the roads, public spaces and car features in the ad were recognisable as such and were not significantly different from those in the real world.

It said the driving features and in particular the speeds shows, could thus be emulated on real roads.

The ASA also considered that the highly stylised nature of the ad glamorised the reckless manner in which the car was driven.

Overall, the ASA said the ad must not appear again in its current form and it ruled that Toyota should not portray speed or driving behaviour in a way that might encourage motorists to drive irresponsibly in future.
    Whatever next, are they going to ban every film that features a car chase?

Rides
    "the two complaints were the only ones they had received about the ad, which had been viewed by 1.3 million people on YouTube and a shorter version which had been broadcast on TV."

surely two people out of 1.3 million (at least) cant cause an add to be banned?

Rides
    funnily enough, when i first saw the ad i did wonder how they'd got away with it
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    Jesus christ. While I appreciate the need for censorship in certain areas, watersheds for inappropriate content etc, this is frankly ridiculous.

Hasn't every TV ad for a sportscar showed it being driven "at speed"?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I genuinely don't understand people who feel the need to complain about adverts. Get a grip
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    pathetic, who the feck complained about that? It's rules and regulations like this that really grind my gears, they're just there to protect the stupid

Rides
    Jesus, my fav advert, fml. Getting bored of this Nanny State world we all live in, go out have some fun break some rules or something

Rides
    Quality advert that was. Some people are just there to complain to make them feel "special".

Rides
    It's now being described as a "Grand Theft Auto" style AD

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...ed-by-asa.html

Rides
    I would love to find out what two people complained about that advert, knock on their door and when they answer slap them round the face with a rotten fish. GET A FCUKING LIFE!!!!!! This sort of stuff really grinds my gears

Rides
    lol,

so who's got a link to the banned ad then?

Rides
    Have you not seen it? It's been on TV enough times. Very good ad IMO, but I might be biased because I think the car is awesome

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    seen the tv ad yeah but didnt think it was bad at all, this online longer ad seems like the biscuit tho

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pete c View Post
    have you not seen it? It's been on tv enough times. Very good ad imo, but i might be biased because i think the car is awesomely overpriced :d
    ftfy

Rides
    That article is such bollocks.

"Grand Theft Auto style car chase"

"similarly to scenes in Rockstar's popular voice game"

Anyone else thing they're mixing up the games GTA and Rockstar?

Clearly demonstrates they haven't a f'king clue what they're talking about and are thowing the GTA tag in purely for headlines.

Rides
    GTA? Would have loved it if in the ad he'd stopped, hired a prostitute, shot a couple of people then whizzed off!

Rides
    Frankly, need for speed adverts with real cars are worse?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotaro View Post
    GTA? Would have loved it if in the ad he'd stopped, hired a prostitute, shot a couple of people then whizzed off!
    Thats not right everyone knows you hire the hooker fcuk her then kill her with a dildo,then you nick a cop car a run her over with the woo woos going
    And what about the latest Honda advert were the dude trips out proper,then drives the ponda into a house!!! is that safe then i don't fecking think so
    Or the vauxhall advert with corsa's flying about in a shopping centre and high streets with coloured smoke pouring off them like they are red arrows in cars or something mental? thats not safe is it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    I would love to find out what two people complained about that advert, knock on their door and when they answer slap them round the face with a rotten fish. GET A FCUKING LIFE!!!!!! This sort of stuff really grinds my gears
    Complaining about complainers makes me chuckle
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Thats not right everyone knows you hire the hooker fcuk her then kill her with a dildo,then you nick a cop car a run her over with the woo woos going
    I miss the old Gouranga sprees from the original