Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driftworks and the new Jaguar advert

Rides

Driftworks and the new Jaguar advert

I was honoured to be asked to drive in the new Jaguar advert for the 550bhp Jaguar XFR-S.
    It was an embargoed car, so the whole thing was done by closing roads in the Swiss Alps. The car had to be hidden every time we stopped.
    It was one hell of a week filming, driving a one off car at massive speeds on some of the narrowest, and most lethal roads I've ever seen... No pressure at all

The car was just released at the LA Motorshow, so we're now allowed to talk about it

http://www.driftworks.com/blog/2012/...-xfr-s-advert/

The film:

Rides
    Thats awesome

So what did you think of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    For such a large car it went very well. It's essentially a very posh tourer, meant for crunching miles very very fast. As a rule I'm not an automatic gearbox guy as this is full auto with tip change. Purely from a performance perspective I much preferred my E92 M3 DCT gearbox, as it did what you asked it to do every time. This was a lot more slushy, but then it's more of an M5 competitor, and I imagine it holds it's own very well in that class.
    I was pretty blown away by how posh Jaguars are nowadays. I knew they'd come a fair way since the old days, but the quality and technology in modern Jags is second to none. We also had a new Landrover Discovery as one of the crew cars, and that thing was incredibly good. I can't wait until the modern Range Rovers become affordable!

Rides
    Such a noob, where's the arm out of the window .

Come on, what's the car like to drive? .

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Al reckons hed take the XFR over the M3 dude, what do you reckon? Specially seeing as Im going to have to buy a new car next year ............
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Now that's pretty cool Perks of the job eh Did you have to make any mods for the slidey slidey like tyre pressures, or was it just traction off and go?
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Doc: I'm personally really excited to see what Jag come up with as their M3 competitor, as I believe that is in the pipelines. The XFR and the M3 can't really be compared though as they are different classes of car. Again just personally speaking I would take my special edition E92 M3 over the XFR purely because it's slightly more performance focussed. But if you have to do a lot of miles I'd think long and hard about the XFR, and I should say that if the XFR came with a DCT gearbox as good as the M3's, it's likely that my decision would swap if it was just my daily driver, but it doesn't unfortunately.

Rides
    Watching the vid yesterday I did wonder to myself "what brave fool got that job then, nutter!"

On a mildly related note though - if the GT86 advert got banned for promoting drifting/bad driving/killing school kids, how is this any better!?

Rides
    Coz Phil isnt a cartoon, hes a real boy Have they spoken to you about the F type at all yet then??

Cheers for input mate, I really liked the IS-F and also liked the fact you arent driving an M3 if you know what I mean. Will probably revisit early next year, drive a C63 and buy one just off the engine note
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    On a mildly related note though - if the GT86 advert got banned for promoting drifting/bad driving/killing school kids, how is this any better!?
    At the beginning they state its on closed roads and a professional driver and for you not to try it
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Watching the vid yesterday I did wonder to myself "what brave fool got that job then, nutter!"

Because when Toyota get told off they apologise profusely while bowing down so low they face plant the floor, followed by a world wide recall of every GT86 to change the tone of the tinted glass to differentiated the GT86 from the one in the ad.
    Meanwhile at Jag, they are like, yeah? well **** ya.
    tbh as you may have guessed I don't have a clue, but I did wonder how BM could launch a Madona out the passenger seat and Toyota could not pull off a U rated GTA advert.

What I love about the current big power German and Jag alliance is they have finally figured out a nice sound tickles nut sacks. Previous (middle aged) cars generally seemed to only sound nice by accident, for example a V8, muzzled to buggery but with a slightly inadequately exhaust and induction setup hence some noise escapes
    Last edited by immy21; 30-11-2012 at 11:33.

Rides
    How is your life that awesome lol?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by woods1 View Post
    How is your life that awesome lol?
    Basically because 10 years ago I bought a 200sx and joined the SXOC.

Rides
    Nice gloves

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMorrison View Post
    Lots of people did that - you took the brave step of taking something you enjoyed and turning it into a business, there's the difference

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Nice gloves
    Haha apparently they were £100

Rides
    Lots of people did that - you took the brave step of taking something you enjoyed and turning it into a business, there's the difference
    Phil isnt the only one living the dream

I get to drive a new Ford now and then

Mark is right.

Rides
    I remember those bygone days
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    So your saying that in 8 more years you can 100% guarantee will be the driving the new jag of that year through the mountains and own an awesome buinsness lol?

I will hold you to that....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by woods1 View Post
    So your saying that in 8 more years you can 100% guarantee will be the driving the new jag of that year through the mountains and own an awesome buinsness lol?
    TBF I joined SXOC about 10 years ago, have a pretty cool business (I was at Toro Rosso the other day, going to see LMP cars next week) and Ive driven through the Dolomites in a brand new Merc about a month ago and Im going to be in the Alps in a new Bimmer in mid December ........... join SXOC, win at life