Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tipping.

Rides
    I never get takeaways delivered and only tip when I get decent service in a restaurant.

Rides
    Depending on service depends on the tip. But I rarely get takeaway these days so last thing on my mind is tipping. And even then it's usually the small bit of change etc.
    But I do deliveries for a living (ok it's disability bathroom goods but its still a delivery service) but nobodies ever tipped me

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Have never done. Always tip in restaurants for service, never for delivery.
    this for me as well

Rides
    I too have done a few nights delivering, and its crap, i have seen drivers chatting and having a smoke whilst food goes cold in thier car. Im mainly too tight to tip tbh, although if its mega fast ill round up to the closest few quid.

Rides
    I've actually just tipped before because the delivery person was a girl, with nice jugs.

Rides
    never had a girl delivery person before, so no option there either...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    I'm with Mr Pink here. If they've put in the effort I'll throw in a tip.
    ^^

I used to charge £16 quid for a particular service. I'd usually go above and beyond the implied contract ie. extra time, info etc.

Most of the motherf*ckers usually still tried to round it down to 15 instead of up to 20. It explains why service is so sh1t most places.

I'll tip healthily if it's a regular haunt - it's good value long term.

But we're all suckers for the jugs...

Rides
    i dont tip, and i get really on the offensive when they expect a tip for just doing there job. I dont get tipped in my job and the work i do is to be expected and to a good standard. so why should it be any different ? do you tip your UPS guy or Citylink ?

Rides
    Only tip in restaurants and, if the bar staff are good or I'm in there a lot, pubs.
    Oh and the barbers if it's sub £10 then I'll round it up.

Rides
    I delivered food in Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol as a part time evening job to fund a car addiction, I always found the best tips came from the worst areas, the rich folks with electric gates and fancy mercs on the drive would stand there while you counted out every penny, for that reason I always worked in restaurants with the catchment area that was abit rougher.

I always tip now, its a minimum wage job that destroys your car, yes you make a few quid with fuel allowance but that hardly covers the costs involved with using your own car.

Rides
    I've worked for Domino's before, the tips I made turned it from a minimum wage job into a just a bit better than minimum wage job. It makes such a difference to take home at the end of the week, and was the only reason I did that job rather than working in-store!

I always tip delivery drivers.

Rides
    Our local pizza shop whacks a decent delivery charge on just to go less than 2 miles. So we never tip them.

Restaurants that are reasonably priced and have good food, OR if the service is really good - I will tip.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Above and beyond for me and delivering a Chinese 3 minutes down the road doesnt warrant that Im afraid. Ill round up to the nearest quid but thats it.

Was out for dinner on Friday - the meal was lovely, service was good and I was all ready to throw a tip down ........ then it took 15 minutes to catch someones eye to get the bill and another 15 minutes before they ran it through so I could leave. Tip? Back in pocket thanks.

One thing to remember is that if you tip ona credit card bill its not unheard of for the server not to see the money, it will go in the owners pocket in my experience 9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    One thing to remember is that if you tip ona credit card bill its not unheard of for the server not to see the money, it will go in the owners pocket in my experience 9/10
    Aye, I always leave cash tip
    bovvered?

Rides
    Hence why if in a restaurant I give the waiter/ess personally if I pay by card.

Rides
    Having worked in a take away, my advice is to tip the delivery driver.

Giving that they battle through the wind and rain to get you your meal then a little tip would be helpful. The tip also sets a flag for them that this person tips so will get it to you faster the next time.

You do run the risk of suddenly having the price go up for delivery charges too if you don't tip.

I even know some delivery drivers change the order of which deliveries are delivered to a certain degree of who tips and who doesn't.

It is all up to yourself really. I tip them because frankly...I don't want to be in their shoes and I know it's annoying work.

P.S. Not all delivery drivers are like this, some are genuine and some are not.

Rides
    I only ever round up to the nearest pound for deliveries, as most places round here charge a delivery fee. We're always told on the phone how long its going to be, if it's consistently longer we'll just use another takeaway as there are LOADS round here.

Having said that, most of the time we collect as it's a lot quicker, (generally 15 minutes of you collect, 45 if you get delivery), plus the best chinese by a long way is over 10 miles away and don't offer delivery.

I'll only tip in restaurants if the service is worth it, I have actually taken the 'optional service charge' off of the total before due to really poor service.

Alex B

Rides
    If I'm happy with the service and quality of food either in restaurant or take-away, I'll always leave about 10% tip... Just because I have friends who work in bars / restaurants and the wages they get are a joke compared to the effort and long hours they do... so I have no problem in giving a few £££ to help...

Rides
    I rarely ever get takeaways delivered, I'll pick up instead but on the odd occasion I do I'll round up somewhat so if it was £17 ish, £20 and keep the change.

Restaurants unless it is exceptional service I don't. Often the meal is expensive enough as it is, before you include drinks. Regular haunts usually get something.

When having my hair cut I usually do, but she's rather nice.

Oh and when people go above and beyond.
    If it's just their standard job/service then I don't see why I should!