Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides
    updates

painted my diff cover for the r32 diff

some pics of the driftworks r32 r154 gearbox i bought

r154 prop shaft end

cleaned up

bought a crane, not lending this one out this time!! brings nothing but hassle haha

my front sump has a problem....

was from an n/a so it'll need the oil return drilled out and machined flat :S

another 1jz i found cheap online which has had a new timing belt, oil pump, water pump and a few other bits

arrived and got it thrown in the back of my daily yellow box

in the back

also got a full genuine toyota head gasket set for my other engine so that'll be built up eventually when i get time and kept as a spare

original plan made easier by buying the other engine

got the new engine in the garage, tomorrow i'll get the old block off the engine stand, get this one on and swap over the sump and make some checks/changes then it'll be good to test fit

also tonight i bought a japspeed top mount 1jz manifold, i've never been impressed with japspeed stuff but for £170 it's more affordable than a 6boost manifold at £1000 plus....

so it'll get braced and so on when it arrives/is test fitted

also recently ordered a full fabricage and act 6 puck clutch for the 1jz,

my parts list is almost complete, just got to get the gearbox work done then a test fit can happen eeeeek!!

as for the car the coilovers will be coming off when I get time and standard wheels put back on so it can go into the bodyshop and have the rear arches sorted

I have a deposit down on a greddy gracer lip from srb power so when it arrives from japan that'll be going on,

still need to buy vertex skirts and a roof lip from ep racing and somehow find kouki rear spats...plan is to put it in with all the parts to get done all at once

i do fancy having the roof and pillars done black aswell :S

Rides
    I like this idea.

Rides
    so some updates for now,

japspeed manifold arrived, when the manifold and gaskets were lifted out the box this was what i was greeted with

all my bolts, studs, washers and nuts not in a bag just loose in a box which had a hole in it

so after a few days of daily phone calls to chase up japspeed i had the missing ones sent out

then set about cleaning my sump in prep for going on my engine

got all my stuff organised to be posted away for final modifications to fit the s14 chassis

the rear casing has to be removed to get the shifter linkage off

there is a small bolt which has a ball and spring, this bolt has to be removed and both ball and spring removed with a pencil magnet as they risk falling inside the box

internal shifter/selector linkage rod

some other parts ready to go away
    r154 front prop section
    s14 front prop section
    shifter
    shifter housing
    shifter rod

will also be sending away my spare fuel rail to be modified from a -6 to a -8 fitting for higher flow when i put in larger injectors

so got my diff built back up with the skyline breather and s14 backplate

thanks to wayne@autoextreme my clutch arrived ACT 6puck sprung paddle!

will be ordering my flywheel and walbro 400lph fuel pump this week from him, excellent service from him! top lad!

unfortunately i was missing the release hub since it's a pull clutch on a toyota, so got on the phone to toyota and have made an order of a few parts i need

complete clutch release hub with all spring clips and washers as seen below in green, all pressure plate housing bolts and some other parts

wasn't cheap....

so after recieving all my bolts i needed for the job that friday night i set about fitting the japspeed manifold to my engine to see how much work was required for making the external wastegate fit

however that was cut short

the manifold wouldn't go over the head studs

i'd tried filing them out but i was taking off too much in my opinion as it was more than just one hole that was drilled miles off

that manifold was sent back and after a few calls to constantly remind them i finally got my money back.

hockey pucks arrived for using as engine mounts

also since i've got a greddy lip coming i've wanted a set of vertex skirts, rear spats and a dmax roof spoiler to go with it all which in my opinion will complete the car for me

bought some cheap vertex rep side skirts which have cracks, runs, chips, breaks and general turdy-ness everywhere, they're rough as a dog but will no doubt be knocked off a few times

fitment is actually quite good

so the car was put back on standard shockers and wheels to go into the bodyshop for some work

it's going in to get the rear arches done as when they were flared by pervious owner they have started rusting which is unfortunate

also will be getting my skirts painted and have a new roof spoiler i bought from ep racing painted and fitted

update***

roof spoiler and skirts are painted, rear arches are done and look amazing! cannot thank stevie enough! the man has some epic skills, colour match is identical!

Finally have sourced an HX35 holset turbo in a 12cm housing, it has a 3" vband rear fitment and a t3 twin scroll flange

paying for it in a week if the guys cool to hold off as i bought a new sofa which unfortunately would have gotten me a manifold and a turbo together :S

so i've called wayne at auto extreme and he is pricing up a 6boost manifold for me :S

this could be me basically ready for a test fit

Rides
    pics now back online woohoo!!

few more updates

turbo paid for today! now waiting for it in the post

lightened flywheel arrived so that was unboxed which unfortunately was for an R154 but the 7m engine so it only had 6 bolts instead of 8, gave auto extreme a quick ring and it's sorted out, new one will be posted out when I get my one sent back

picking up the car tomorrow from paint eeeeek! super excite!!! then it's time to start the strip!

on the other hand....i'm skint....seriously skint! spent too much on the car lately and it's still nowhere near completion,

can't find flywheel bolts anywhere! Toyota are £9+vat a bolt or something and arp from the states are much more......little things like this that piss me off on a build after spending so much money on other parts! why can't new flywheel's come with new bolts too

anyway will get car back tomorrow then i'm off work for 2 weeks shortly so will hopefully get some quality time spent on beginning to strip this!

Rides
    the car has had a lovely repair job on the rear arches by stevie, excellent work! car looks amazing now

was sent a pic from stevie when the spoiler went on can't thank him enough!

the injector rail is a tad restrictive in the 1j's, so it was taken out of my spare inlet section, cleaned up and sent away with my gearbox parts for modification

stripped

i'll be buying sard 800cc injectors so the standard yellow injec will not be going back in

walbro 400lph fuel pump turned up thanks to wayne at auto extreme

got the soarer's original 1jz block off my engine stand, i cannot believe how heavy just the block is!!!

and put the new engine on the stand with the help of the crane

so i can now commence work on it in prep for fitting rather than in prep for rebuilding!

plan of attack is swap over sumps to the front sump, remove air con, make up wiring loom, tidy up odds and sods

only pic i took is: fuel damper removed, water pump fan removed, air con pump and fan belt off

turbo turned up it's a brand new holset hx351w (the most up to date hx35 by holset) with a t3 twin scroll exhaust flange, 4" inlet, internal wastegated and has slightly lighter 7 blade compressor wheel.

removed the actuator just now and the plan is to have the internal wastegate welded shut and a small plate welded over the gap for it to keep exhaust gasses flowing smoothly

i will need to also have an oil feed reducer welded into the hole which was supplied with the turbo thanks to 'ian bizz phillips' pleasure dealing with you!

took my aircon pump with me to work, stripped it down for the bracket to put back on the jz engine to support the power steering pump

fairly straight forward to take apart, 10mm nut on the pulley, then a few circlips to take off then that gives you access to all the allen key bolts holding the bracket on the pump

so got the car on a sorn since the road tax was due and it's now off the road, last picture before i started the strip

and here's where it's at now, just about ready to have the engine taken out

removed aircon, radiator, abs pump bracket, all inlet pipework, carbon cannister, viscous fan plus cowling, front bumper and grill, clutch slave cylinder, exhaust unbolted

however since i am in Scotland it started raining....and has not stopped, all day friday was pouring down with rain, hopefully going to get the engine out tomorrow afternoon if the weather holds up :S

i've just a few things left to do

pull ecu wiring through bulkhead
    undo both fuel pipes
    drain gearbox and remove propshaft
    unbolt engine and gearbox mounts
    undo both heater matrix hoses
    unbolt power steering pump from engine and leave it in the engine bay for now
    undo wiring to alternator/fuse box
    brake booster pipe and a few earths

that's about it really as i'm literarly stuck untill the weather lets me....i am in no rush to lay on my back on a soaking wet ground...my days of that are over!

might invest in a big tent

on the plus side though my Trust greddy gracer aero lip arrived from japan

i literarly just need a set of kouki rear spats and a set of work e-wing mesh wheels and the outside of the car is finished to the point where i can finally say i'm happy

i've got some navan ones if anyone wants to swap?

hopefully more updates over the weekend with pics of the engine coming out!

Rides
    have not updated this in a good while!

photobucket is an arse..

sent my r154 gearbox mount, shifter and propshaft away to mr steevo a few weeks before my holiday off work with hope to get them back in time so I could have two weeks to fit the 1j and get everything around it finished like intercooler pipes, matrix pipes, power steering pipes blah blah but that hasn't happened so I've been busy with other stuff on the car.

got a small ist of what has been done lately and will update with pics when I get my photobucket back online AGAIN

-sr20de engine, box and loom removed from car
    -all interior removed
    -dash removed
    -sound deadening chipped out, made a start to getting rid of the remaining glue
    -abs pump and pipes removed, new copper pipes made up with hidden T piece behind strut top, brake hoses moved over one bolt in the arch for wheel clearance on extra lock
    -fuel pipes removed from tank all the way to engine bay
    -sr20 clutch pipework and slave cylinder removed
    -soarer throttle cable fitted and mounting holes modified to fit standard s14 holes (thanks dan for the advice)
    -front sump fitted to the 1j engine
    -1jz aircon pump stripped and bracket from that fitted back onto engine for p/s pump support
    -fitted walbro 400lph fuel pump to the car
    -act clutch pressure plate built up with all new genuine Toyota hub, washers, snap rings and bearings
    -new 8 bolt hole lightened flywheel showed up
    -thanks to mark last night we made a start to the wiring, pretty sure we have it 100% sorted out, just need to make a few fan relays and a few bits and bobs, there is so much to strip out of the existing jz loom!

also bought some stuff to go on, battery cable for boot and an in line kill switch for dash, rubber fuel hose to run inside the car as a temp until I get it over to my work and up on a ramp to make copper fuel pipes underneath ,

my shifter is on route to me as of today which should be here tomorrow and my mount should be getting made end of this week hopefully and be here shortly aswell thanks to steevo!

so right now I have a shell sitting on 4 wheels, and as soon as my gearbox parts turn up they will be fitted to my box then I can trial fit my engine!! getting exciting now! hopefully all hassle will be worth it.

for now here's a pic from my facebook, at least that won't die on me!

oh also:
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 16-07-2013 at 22:59.

Rides
    Weeee turbooo??

Rides
    it's a wee turbo just now :S well 2 wee turbos,

so a few more updates of the last few days work

shifter arrived, looks excellent, cheers steevo! just need my mount and propshaft back asap now!

-fitted the twin turbos onto the engine, also have bought a modified front sump oil drain for the twin turbos from chopaholic, removed the recirc valve from the turbo pipe and will have that welded shut, and have blocked the other pipe like an s14 to have the 'pigeon mod'

-done all the wiring, soldered all my joins for the ecu and f4 plug loom, made the starter motor solenoid wire extension to the other side of the block from the s14 lower harness, made a starter motor battery cable extension also, so hopefully it'll start with the first turn of key....:S :S

-fitted the forced fablic steering polybushes to the rack

-swapped over the cam cover from the horrid red to a standard grey one from my original engine, also swapped over the water pump pulley so it's black, and cleaned off the horrid red paint on the p/s pump pulley and painted it black along with the crank shaft pulley

-got the headlights out and made a few cuts so I now have a mid mount intercooler with the bigger 600mm x 289mm x 76mm core sitting where the old aircon rad was

tomorrow's plan is to make up the battery relocation to the boot cable with kill switch, fuel pipes through the inside of the car, remove the aircon matrix inside the heater box and tidy up a few more things

literarly been at the car every single day for the last two weeks of my holiday off work except 2 days!....getting excited now and I just want to bloody drive the thing!!

it's basically at the point where I need to get my engine crane back from my grannys garage as I've dumped the sr in there for now, then get the engine off my stand, fit my clutch and flywheel, then gearbox, then trial fit the engine

i'll have a bit of bother though with the top turbo pipe and the clutch master cylinder which I already know about so it won't go smoothly!

also on mondy at work i'll be drilling out my hockey puck engine mounts as they are going to be a lot more simple than using s14 mounts
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 20-07-2013 at 23:59.

Rides
    photobucket has reset my limit again so time for some more pics! i've made a few pics smaller and joined together to try keep my pics/upload usage down

engine coming out few weeks ago, remove the engine with box and loom attached, just pulled loom through bulkhead

started collecting more bits from toyota! having boxes like these show up reguarly now :S

this is all the washers, snap rings, clutch hub, pressure plate bolts and more stuff drivetrain related

tried on my vertex skirts can't wait to see the car with the greddy lip, these skirts and some nice wheels on!

just need kouki spats to finish it off!

got the dash out and began stripping the rest of the car to remove the sound deadening on the floor pan

all done! just need to remove the glue left over now, using petrol, it seems to work well!

swapped the engine's sump over from a rear to a front sump, bought a new baffle plate from toyota and i have also bought another front sump,
    from an aristo it has the factory oil return hole and studs, this one has had the oil pan modified to fit around a standard s14 anti roll bar, that's also a big bonus!

fitted the soarer throttle cable to the s14

got steevo mounts fitted to the engine, don't have any pics but you can see them in above pics, used the auto flywheel bolts with a few mm chopped off the end of each bolt, then put lots of lock tight on the threads also

removed the ABS pump complete with all the brake pipes, clutch pipe and all fuel pipes

put in new brake pipes, i've ran a T piece join in behind the driver side strut top so it's out of the way!

i've also moved the brake hoses over one bolt hole, seen it done before. I will drill and make a thread or rivet the other side of the mount, i've seen this done before and with what i have planned for lock mods i think this is an extra safety precaution just incase the tyre catches

went out and bought some battery cable, a kill switch, a big roll of 8mm fuel pipe, hose clips and some other bits and bobs like oil for the engine

built the clutch hub together with the new bearing and all the washers and spring clips and so on

and the correct flywheel turned up, this time with arp bolts aswell, thanks to wayne at auto extreme for getting those sorted for me

fitted the 400lph walbro to the tank cradle

some silvia matts showed up, this time though they are black

WIRING!!! thanks to mark for the advice and help!

pretty sure the loom is done now!

made up a battery cable to reach the starter and also the solenoid wire has been extended to reach it since the starter is on the other side of the engine

HOPEFULLY won't have any issues with wiring when it all goes together for the first time!

here's what i cut out of the nissan loom's f4 plug and ecu plug

spent a rather long time like this: reading pinouts....

after some long thinking about it, the twins are going back on for now! don't have enough money to finish everything else, so for now the car will be ran this way untill i get enough cash behind me for a 6boost manifold and all the rest...ecu injectors etc

finally fitted the forced fablic steering rack poly bushes they are a great fit, will see how they feel on the road!

got chopping and now have a mid mount intercooler, the 600mm x 289mm x 76mm core, more ground clearance so no smacking off bumps like the last few s14's i've had with the standard location of an fmic, shorter pipes aswell for quicker spool

shifter back from steevo, modified and extended 3 inches, fited great and seems to work fine! box resealed and hopefully won't give me any troubles, his weldeding work is excellent, just waiting on my mount and propshaft now!

back to standard looking engine instead of the red, looks 1000x better, black pulleys and standard cam covers. i'll have a timing cover on shortly, i need to get the bottom pulley off and get the timing cover off the bottom and replace it with my other one, the mounting tabs are broken on it so when the top cover goes on it scuffs the belt, i'll get that changed at my work with the air gun as it'll be easier that way

stripped out my heater box to remove the aircon matrix and pipework, have cut two stubds of pipe and jammed them in the back of the heater box to fill the holes left by them

can anyone tell me if my clutch cylinder from my N/A s14 is different to a uk turbo s14? apart from the brake pipe coming out the side rather than a bleed nipple?

where i am at right now:
    all finished engine work, just waiting on parts arriving before i can get stuff done now!
    need steevo to send me my mount and propshaft
    need an evening free to get the 1jz off the stand, get the clutch and flywheel bolted to the engine, bolt my gearbox on and get the engine in the car!
    need to have DB power make me up a clutch hose s14>r154 conversion length

Rides
    nice nice

Rides
    updates

fan belt on with the aircon removed

got myself a clutch cylinder from a uk turbo s14, howeber i'm doubting it'll clear the top turbo pipe

engine coming off the stand now since it's almost all finished

steevo gearbox mount arrived, gave it a quick blast in black

hockey pucks drilled out and some 12.0 high tensile bolts and nuts fitted

competition clutch lightened flywheel on with arp flywheel bolts and a good coat of the green loctight (the heavy duty stuff)

ACT 6 puck clutch and new toyota hub with all new clips and new bearings

R154 gearbox on

bought some 22mm castellated hose for the oil return pipework, this stuff is awesome! so simple to work with

thanks to dale from fullattack for the info on this!

so it was a nice day and i'd finished work in good time so didn't want to waste the sun and dry weather!

thanks to mike (mpig) for the hand with fitting we got the engine and box in!

just needs a little shove....BIG SHOVE!

and it's in!

there is a block on the bottom of the gearbox/sump which was catching on the steering rack,

that was what made it hard to get it in! will probably cut it off once i get the car up on a ramp and if it's not there for any important reason it'll be gone!

new problem: clutch cylinder space

after speaking to maccyD (george) thanks for the info! i've ordered a vw golf cylinder

hopefully this is going to make enough pressure to work properly, i'll either have to drill holes on the bulkhead or have extensions welded onto the new cylinder to meet the original studs in the floor

plan now is to get the car towed to my work so i can get the gearbox mounts and engine mounts set properly as right now with my steevo mount kit the gearbox is sitting against the tunnel i think just where the shifter extension has been raised

going to see about spacing the mount down a little or cutting it up and making a few modifications to it

i need to get my propshaft back from steevo which he should be getting back this week from the propshaft place!

more updates soon! :S worked an 18 hour shift on Saturday and a 15 hour yesterday....so so busy just now at work with barely any time for this project just now :S my plan is to have it towed to my work this weekend and it can sit inside over the spare ramp in the workshop and I can do bits and bobs when i'm free...

Rides
    Too popullaaaarrrrr

Rides
    annoyingly photobucket has blocked my limit again

anyway i'll get a big write up of what has been happening lately but most importantly tonight this happened:

can't thank mark (redsx on sxoc and blacksx92 on driftworks) enough for all his help with the wiring! if it wasn't for him i'd be standing scratching my head....

had a few issues with getting it started, will do a big update with pics shortly

it keeps hunting, could be down to a few things, I mainly think it's because I don't have any pipes on and most of the vaccum feeds were blocked off with bolts for now as I need to work out where they all go

Rides
    You may have blocked the idle control feed, I'd check there first .

Rides
    nah looks like I've taken the input for the water temp sensor wire from the ecu to my gauge on the dash so need to change that and it should work, either that or i'll need to get a power feed to the IACV if it doesn't have one and the o2 sensor

little update, car's not done anything since the video, It has been sat at my work not turning a wheel

I've been messed around with my propshaft so unfortunately that's put some time on the job now, waited 3 months for it to be told the machine shop decided not to do it, wasn't me that was dealing with them direct so unfortunately I cannot do anything right now, my hands are tied, prop will be returning back to me tomorrow tack welded with the measurements I gave for the size so I can only hope it fits then will need to be sent away somewhere to get welded up properly and balanced

tomorrows plan is:

take engine out
    hammer everywhere that it looks like it would touch under load
    drill holes for fuel filter bracket to keep it nice and tidy
    tidy up loom
    put engine back in
    make up all intercooler pipes and rad pipes I may need
    fit I/c, radiator, p/s pipes, matrix pipes, make an air intake pipe with filter,
    put front end back on

almost fully complete the engine bay

then tow the car to my parents garage for it's final 'resting' place till the prop gets done, then I can drive it for the first time!

also my fabricage was ment to show up today but no sign of that

all I can say is:

I CAN'T BE ASSED WITH A BIG PROJECT ANYMORE!

Rides
    rather disappointed, the fabricage didn't show up so that's tomorrow gone to waste, could have spent the day fitting the cage and faffing around getting my dash and stuff in since I have a full sunday free

got my propshaft back today, since it's on a uk s14 turbo front prop it wont fit onto my r180 n/a rear half,

so i'm going to attempt and swap the rear half

if that doesn't fit onto the r180 diff flange I can either try swap the flange from the r200

OR it'll be subframe swap time with my r32 diff which is a bit unorganised and unplanned for me as I wanted to fully build the subframe with all new arms, bearings and brakes but if needs must then it'll have to happen early :S

today I got almost everything finished around the engine, went online and ordered a big list of silicone hoses that I need to get my intercooler pipework in together, radiator is back in, throttle cable in, brake booster hose on, starter signal wire extended and tidied up,

calling db power on Monday to get a full length braided clutch hose

Rides
    Light at the end of the tunnel dude, don't give up now :/

Rides
    thanks dude

so called bailey morris, prop is going away to them tomorrow to be made into one single tube with two new ends providing they have the right parts, will be the Toyota UJ with a new solid tube 3cm longer and Nissan r200 diff end flange on

pete at fabricage has been good keeping in contact with me and turns out the courier service is at fault here, always the same!! argh

so now it's a waiting game for parts to show up as I cannot do anymore than is already done

waiting on:

prop
    silicone hoses arriving
    exhaust flange and some pipes arriving

then I have to put everything back together and hopefully will have a fully finished 1j swapped silvia

Rides
    \o/ not long left dude!

Rides
    few more quick updates

silicone hoses are all on, having a bit of trouble getting the actual bends on the intercooler pipework to sit correctly so may take the car to a local tuning place to have them bend and make the actual hard pipes as they are 76mm diameter so rather big....

ordered the last of the castellated hoses i'm missing, the pipes for matrix hose and pipes for radiator hose too

alloy s13 ca18det 55mm rad now fitted brand new

bailey's called me back today, my prop will be just short of £200, they can only do me a front section so i'll retain the standard rear half and have a modified front section

fabricage is fitted, have a welder coming to my work tonight to blast in the floor plates then all the interior can begin to go back in aswell

it's SLOWLY getting there but i'm going on holiday for a week and hopefully when I get back my propshaft and pipework will be here so I can actually get it 'finished' enough to somehow get a road test done before driftland at the end of the month :S