Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce the Series 3 landy project.

Rides

Bruce the Series 3 landy project.

Well basically i have owned bruice for a few years now and though it was time i did a little bit of a write up about him. I will update this will some decent pics but here is a brief description.

He started his life as a series 3 2 1/4 petrol and was bought as a little non runner for repair.

The bodywork was fantasticaly straight and it must have had a rebuild in its time. He came with buckets seats, a half cage and some 32" tyres.

Here is a pic of Bruice has he stands today.
    mitch1.JPG

Since buying him he has been treated to a new hood, 200tdi conversion, overdrive, 11" front drums and a few other bits and bobs. Ill pop up some picks of the TDI conversion a little later but here is one of the engine bay.
    tdi.jpg
    So the next plan is a power steering conversion. I have collected all the bits and should be tackling it this week if all goes well. Ill get some pics up as its goign to be a nice intersting bit of work.

Aaron
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 26-12-2012 at 01:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    So heer are some pics of the 200tdi fititng, its a pretty well documented process although with anything there are always a few bits and bobs to get over. In honesty its not quite finished, the throttle cable is a little basic really and i want to re wire the front halfof the truck when i get time.

The engine fits on the series mounts and only need minor alterations to the belhousing. Basically some blank holes tapping out and a couple of studs moving. This all went in nicely and i started fabbing up the intercooler pipes. The intercooler was fitted into the front panel by cutting out the side and slightly modfing one of the input hoses, here is a pic of the intercooler and oil cooler tucked in front of the rad.

IMAG1576 by darransandwich, on Flickr

After this i had to make up a custom pulley to bypass the power steering pump, this was done by purchasing a blank and turning it out on a lathe. I also fitted the oil cooled from an MGB GT in the front panel to make sure the oil temp didnt get out of hand.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 23-12-2012 at 00:42.

Rides
    So heer are some pics of the 200tdi fititng, its a pretty well documented process although with anything there are always a few bits and bobs to get over. In honesty its not quite finished, the throttle cable is a little basic really and i want to re wire the front halfof the truck when i get time.

The engine fits on the series mounts and only need minor alterations to the belhousing. Basically some blank holes tapping out and a couple of studs moving. This all went in nicely and i started fabbing up the intercooler pipes. The intercooler was fitted into the front panel by cutting out the side and slightly modfing one of the input hoses.

intercooler pipes.JPG

As you can see the water pipes didnt fit although a new one had longer ends so sorted this issue an di used a flexi water hose for the bottome mount.

After this i had to make up a custom pulley to bypass the power steering pump, this was done by purchasing a blank and turning it out on a lathe. I also fitted the oil cooled from an MGB GT in the front panel to make sure the oil temp didnt get out of hand.

alternator.JPG
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 17-12-2012 at 14:53.

Rides
    here is a quick pic of the alternator fitted back in, i was pretty chuffed with it to be honest although its coming back out when the PAS pump goes back in.
    alt in.JPG

I will get some better pics of the car overall for people this week as im going to be ripping it to bits

Rides
    Looks good, keep us updated

Rides
    Cool - another S3 owner on the board

Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    So the next plan is a power steering conversion. I have collected all the bits and should be tackling it this week if all goes well. Ill get some pics up as its goign to be a nice intersting bit of work.
    I've got most of the bits to do the same to mine too - are you going with a defender / disco steering box and chopping the front crossmember out? I was going to get mine done this summer, but a cheap 90 came up and that's been taking up all my time. There's a few good write ups on how to do a PAS conversion on lr4x4.com

Drove the S3 for the first time in ages today, I'd forgotten just how noisy / bumpy / slow / agricultural it is!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice series little bit jealous especially as I might have to sell mine soon
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Ah chris, sounds sad to sell it in honesty i have too but the second is a sore spot as ts sat for ages very nearly finished ha ha. i think i struck really lucky with this one as the chassis is nearly immaculate and the bulkhead is pretty good too.

As for the conversion i have a p38 box, seemed like the neater solution to me when i looked into it. time will tell if it pays off but the work starts tomorrow. Just made a 70 mile trip to my mates farm for the use of his barn ha ha. oh and yeah i had forgotten how noisy mine was too.

Rides
    So now the conversion is well under way so i thought i should pop some pics up.
    Firstly we got the landy set up in the barn.then we proceeded to remove the wing ready to start stripping. That left us with plenty of access to the steering components.

IMAG1577 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    so next up is to get all the parts of the steering stripped ready for mocking up the new assembly.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 26-12-2012 at 01:29.

Rides
    So once this was off i whipped off the wheel

IMAG1579 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Then removed all the steering components. I cut of the shaft from the box to the relay and then unbolted and removed the shaft and box as one. This gave me enough room to remove the pitman arms from the old relay.
    This left me with a blank canvas to work with.

IMAG1580 by darransandwich, on Flickr

These are the old and new columns for comparison. it looks like the new column is a little longer. Its a late td5 column so in good shape with nice smooth bearings.

IMAG1581 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 23-12-2012 at 00:56.

Rides
    Oh also as you can see whipping off the wing revealed a little hole in the bulkhead so i welded that up. this was where the inner wing meets the bulkhead so a bit of a trap for dirt.

IMAG1578 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    all patched up.

IMAG1592 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    then painted up with a thick layer of underseal to help keep it protected.

IMAG1602 by darransandwich, on Flickr

Rides
    I then started to mock up the steering system, slotted in the TD5 column and popped the box as far forward on the chassis as possible. then balanced the shaft in between to see how much it would need to be shortened.

sorry its a bit blurry. but thats the first mock up.

IMAG1587 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    to be honest even this rough mock up got me pretty chuffed but there is still loads of work to do before it will be good enough.

In this pic its just resting on the chassis using some 3/8 extension bars but it gave me a chance to check the height of the bottom pitman arm against the one on the old relay. it showed id need to raise this one a little to make sure the arm wouldn't foul the springs.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 23-12-2012 at 00:57.

Rides
    I then set about sorting the mounting bracket for the box, i went out and bought some 6mm plate and then marked and drilled some 13mm holes in it, this gave a little clearance for the bolts and fitted pretty well to be honest.

IMAG1593 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 26-12-2012 at 18:11.

Rides
    I then welded the plate to the chassis and fitted a bit of 6mm plate to the top of the chassis to space out the crush tube.
    This was the plate all mounted up.

IMAG1600 by darransandwich, on Flickr

Then i mounted on the box to see how it would look. To be honest i was pretty chuffed with that.

IMAG1594 by darransandwich, on Flickr

Once this was done i counted the turns to find the neutral position of the box( this was surprisingly off center) and test fitted the wheel for clearance. I have loads

IMAG1598 by darransandwich, on Flickr

SO next is mounting the collumn and shortening the intermediate steering shaft.

Rides
    For mounting the collumn we found a bit of box section, drilled and bolted it up to the shaft. here is a pic of it clamped on to test the alignment.

IMAG1604 by darransandwich, on Flickr

then wleded up, drilled and painted.

IMAG1615 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 26-12-2012 at 00:22.

Rides
    so with the box and collum mounted i had to make up the intermediat shaft, the steering box had a different spline to the collumn i had so i split the two UJ's and then made one with the correct spline.
    first i ground away most of the material around th bearing cup

IMAG1555 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Then i split the last bit with some gentle persuasion with a hammer. which left the uj
    free from the shaft and intact

IMAG1559 by darransandwich, on Flickr

I then pressed the bearings out of the p38 uj and fitted the two together.

IMAG1561 by darransandwich, on Flickr

Rides
    With all the bits ready to fit together i mocked up the fitting and then cut the intermediat shaft to length, this then gave me the steering mechanics in one piece for the first time.

IMAG1608 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    to be honest i am pretty chuffed with the way it looks, seems pretty smart to me, the next task is to make up the steering arms and find out how long they need to be. for the moment im going to join the series arm to the p38 one, ill get a custom one made up when i can find a supplier

so the gap was measured up. and the two tubs cut to length with a 10mm gap in between them. this was to make space fro a joining piece to be turned up out of some solid bar as the two tubes were different in diameter.

IMAG1618 by darransandwich, on Flickr.
    then we test fitted the pieces together.

IMAG1609 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    We were happy with the lengt of the tube and allignment was well within adjustment so the pieces were welded together.

IMAG1639 by darransandwich, on Flickr

then the bar was at least in one piece and looked like this, please excuse the stick welds. i bloody ran out of mig gas ha ha. these were courtessy of my mate mike as his stick welding is far better than mine. You can also see in the background my wing has became a make shift table. I think mike wants the landy in long term

IMAG1630 by darransandwich, on Flickr

IMAG1610 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    all in and test fitted. were goign to strengthen up the bar by milling into the solid bar and welding it up for added strength.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 26-12-2012 at 01:09.

Rides
    So once the bar was all welded up and tested again i first checked to see if i could hit lock on both sides. if this hadnt worked i would have needed to source a longer pitman arm i guess but thankfully all was ok and there is still a fair bit of era movement so the bar was removed and put in the milling machine.

IMAG1631 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    we then milled the channels through the tube and into the bar so that there was roughly a third of each material showing. This would give us a nice area to weld into and

IMAG1634 by darransandwich, on Flickr

these were welded up and ground flat and then the whole bar was fitted and painted black, hopefully this should eb a nice strong bar and get my by long enough to get a custom rod making up. If anyone coulc recomend a place or has a pair of lh and right hand ball joint taps that would be great.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 12-02-2014 at 19:55.

Rides
    The pump was a nice easy mount as it just went back in the mounting point on the TDi and i had a cutom High pressure pipe made up and Nuneaton Hose and Fittings, a pretty nice place from what I found out. No idea if i overpaid for it as I have no idea what it should cost. the return feed i made up with some banjo fittings off ebay and some braided fuel pipe. this was then sealed up with dowty seals and looked like this when it was all done.

IMAG1614 by darransandwich, on Flickr

IMAG1621 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    The most exciting thing about this was I now was able to fill the system and test the steering.

Rides
    So i filled the system and fired her up, below is a little video and i am dead chuffed, it could do with a bit of a bleed but its already so much lighter that the series ever was. I have quite a few more jobs to do before ill be back on the road but this was a great place to stop as it was the 23rd of december by the time i got here Still had my gifts to buy and the missus may have hung me if i had missed christmas to build my landy.
    Here is a vid of the system all fired up and its pretty powerful it makes the body twist on the leaf springs at full lock and is nice and easy to turn so im dead chuffed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14144290@N04/8312702050/

I took some pocs on full lock too as i have read loads about people saying the box may reduce clearance but i seem to have bags of room.

IMAG1645 by darransandwich, on Flickr

IMAG1646 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 26-12-2012 at 23:44.