Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce the Series 3 landy project.

Rides
    I have a few mor epics to upload but as a little update this is all in and working well.
    at the moment i am dead chuffed.

I have a couple of little jobs to do this weekend, fit some new rear cyllinders and a new stalk. as there both broken
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Nice job mate. Wish i had somewhere like that to work on mine as this time of year sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Nice job It looks like you can get a load more lock out of it, looking at your pics?

Did you check on the MOT worthiness of welding steering components? I was told it's a bit of an iffy area

Rides
    Cheers Mark, thats my mates farm saying that its not local to me ha ha, 70 miles away. as for the MOT that was also my understanding so im going to make up a new bar as soon as i can. hopefully the tester will be nice if i havn't managed in time but the bar was a get me home job as i had no idea how long it would be until it was fitted.

The lock is set there as i have a much bigger set of wheels that i offroad with. there isnt masses more room before the leaf but more than i have at the moment, ill get me some thinner off road tyres when i have the cash.

So the last few pics from the build are here.
    So the first thing i did was make up a new battery tray, This was made out of a little angle iron and some threaded bar;

IMAG1649 by darransandwich, on Flickr

then with the battery attached

IMAG1652 by darransandwich, on Flickr

So once this was done i had to run all the pipes and adapt the wings to accept the steering rods. the wings were cut around the box as below.

IMAG1656 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    The hoses were p clipped to the chassis across the front cross member

IMAG1655 by darransandwich, on Flickr

then once it was all done i had a little pose with it.

IMAG1665 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 06-01-2013 at 22:08.

Rides
    Had a productive day on the landy today but no pics. Ive been busy fixing my mates 90 for the past week or so, welding the bulkhead, new wheel bearing, welding the exhaust, re wiring the lights, fitting new propshaft bolts so i thought it was time to give mine some TLC. got up this morning and fitted a new indicator stalk, new sidelight bulb and then some new wheel cylinders on the back.
    here is a pic of his bulkhead, i was a bit lazy so only got the rough plate and first seam, this was the plate made up and test fitted.

IMAG1671 by darransandwich, on Flickr

then with the outer edge welded up.

IMAG1672 by darransandwich, on Flickr

after this i took her for a test drive and the fu-cking gear for the overdrive stripped coming off a roundabout. Luckily these things seem to have stopped shoclign me so i tried sticking it in 4wd and all gears before coming to a stop as i had no drive.

Went home and whipped off the inspection cover to confirm what i thought, no dive getting to the overdrive gear and a loud grinding noise.
    as you can see all looks well, but nothing is spinning

IMAG1675 by darransandwich, on Flickr

so ive been towed home then driven up to leicester to a mates farm to get a spare output gear from when i last replaced the gearbox. ill have to fit it in the morning so the old girl is useable so that will be an oppourtunity to take some pics.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 06-01-2013 at 21:44.

Rides
    Right so this morning, i finished off unbolting the overdrive, then before i removed it took out the linkage pin. this little bugger tool a while as the split pin was a pain to get out

IMAG1676 by darransandwich, on Flickr

Once this was off i made myself a nice big pile of sheet and mats and prized out the overdrive. then let it drop on to the mats for safe keeping.

IMAG1677 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    then with it out i could see the problem. The teeth have worn down really badly and wernt engaging in the overdrive.

IMAG1680 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    While this was out i started her up and checked the gearbox output worked in all gears and was very relieved that it was ok.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 06-01-2013 at 22:23.

Rides
    On to the removal then, i had to bend back the locking tab and spin off the castled nut, this let the gear and retaining washer slide off leaving an intact shaft.

IMAG1682 by darransandwich, on Flickr

IMAG1689 by darransandwich, on Flickr

so once it was out it gave me the chance to have a propper look at the wear. here are some better pics of the worn teeth and as you can see its pretty toast.

IMAG1685 by darransandwich, on Flickr

IMAG1686 by darransandwich, on Flickr

Ill have to order a new clutch gear and probably input shaft as the other half of the spline is a little worn too, thats not going to be cheap

Rides
    Right so it was then time to fish the new gear out of the boot of the nissan, had a nice little blast up to my mates farm in it last night and it sounds really happy now had been a little tappy for a while where i have barely used it so a long run has obviously filled the lifters up nicely.
    here is the gear and it looks in great shape.

IMAG1688 by darransandwich, on Flickr

so it it went and was all bolted up. slotted in nicely when i remembered to put the box in bloody neutral

IMAG1692 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    then i fitted the support bearing for the main shaft and gave it a test drive.

IMAG1698 by darransandwich, on Flickr

So now all is good and a i had a nice run through some green lanes this weekend. As i now have no overdrive i think it will be time to fit some discovery diffs to the old girl as it feels like its revving its tits off to go anywhere

Rides
    Well I went back out on the old girl last night and my mate hit a tree and buggered the wing on. His 90 so ill have to do some 1 armed work on his this weeend.

As for my landy all seemed well really. The brakes work on the first press of the pedal for the first time in a couple of years the power steering on the other hand is all good belt is a bit squeaky though so ill tighten that up a bit. I also have no fuel guage again so will have to investigate that when i get the chance.

I also need to fit a new washer bottle too.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 14-01-2013 at 13:45.

Rides
    Right well i had a quick half hour session on the old girl yesterday, wanted to try and tackle the lack of fuel guage.

IMAG1714 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    whipped out the front seat and the fuel tank access pannel to find this;

IMAG1708 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    so yeah clearly a missing wire wont help it work I then decided to whip out the sender and try it in different positions to see if it was workign luckily it was so its all gone back together but as i had basically no fuel left ill have to see what its like when i fill the old girl up.

I also took this oppourtunity to put some sillicone between the cover and the seatbox its all in my futile efforts to quieten the old girl down. unfortunately this will never really happen but i can dream.

IMAG1711 by darransandwich, on Flickr
    Other than that i had to re fit a headlight as ithad dropped off its adjuster, or maybe been fitted wrong cant remember the last time i touched it though and replace a sidelight bulb.
    Last edited by LED sandwich; 14-01-2013 at 20:58.

Rides
    Right it's time for a very belated update here. The old girl has sat since march on my drive being unloved so I have decided its time for a revival. The first job I'm undertaking is a disk conversion. I have done some research on this and can't justify the cost of a new kit so ill be doing most of the work myself.

I found some disks I thought would be suitable from a Toyota fj

And had some girlingn m16 calipers knocking about so for now will be using theses, there only 2 pot which is a shame and means they have about 15% less piston area than defender calipers. That being said they should be adiquate to stop the old series and much better than 10 inch drums.

Ill whack up some pics of the bits I have in the next post.

Rides
    Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides
    Once I had the disks and calipers I mocked up the mounting, the series hubs have to be machined flat then the disk mounts on the rear. The stub axle has a 6x114.3 pcd, so I modeled that on cad then measured the offset of the caliper mounts from the centre, I tried 92mm but this is just touching the hub so ill space that out a little.

When I had it all designed I made up a crude bracket out of 12mm ply, this makes the disk a little tight so ill have the brackets laser cut from 10mm steel. The caliper will still have to have some spacers turned down to account for the offset but otherwise look good.

I just need to triple check my measurements and get them cut, once that is done its only mounting the disc to the hub which should be simple

Rides
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides
    Wouldnt defender or disco brakes been more straightforward?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Wouldnt defender or disco brakes been more straightforward?
    Nah - it's still a total pain to do even using off the shelf landy bits - you'd have to do pretty much the same amount of fabrication..

Rides
    I think the simplest option would be to weld disco axle flanges onto the series casing but it needs to be square.

Rides
    Ideally I would have used defender calipers hit I had these to hand. The advantage of land cruiser discs is they have a lower hat dimension so give me more room for a bracket. I'll whack.up some pics later

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    I think the simplest option would be to weld disco axle flanges onto the series casing but it needs to be square.

I think someone on LR4x4 redrilled the series axle ends to suit disco/def swivels, but then they needed custom driveshafts...

Rides
    Yeah that's it but you could shorten your casing and re weld I think, but you would have little turning circle