Thread: Alignment

Rides

Alignment

After fitting an alignment kit from apex it was best to go get aligned so thats what i did. I dont really have much of an idea how it should be setup so here is whats been done, can anyone tell me if thats a fairly good setup? or does anyone know what a good set up for the odd drift day is ? cheers.

Rides
    why is everything so un-even on the finished results?

those settings are pretty conservative, so nothing to worry about.

What is your castor measurement i cant see it?

These are mine, done by Elites in rainham. I went for a Fast road Setup which is also good for drift days. I also had the traction arms either set 1cm longer or 1cm shorter (cant remember which now)

How much did you pay for yours?

If you notice mine are fairly even side to side.

Last edited by FireStorm; 29-12-2012 at 15:04.

Rides
    I might be reading it wrong but it looks like the camber on three corners is still out? I'm no alignment expert but I know it should be close on both side no matter what you do, the rear camber, even though with in apparent tolerance levels is way off the centre figure on the near side as is the camber on both the fronts. Toe looks spot on as does the camber on the off side rear. You may well want to run a bit more negative camber if you are going to take it drifting as this looks to me how a lot of drift cars are set up but even so I'd want the f/n/s moved closer to -1.3 and the r/o/s moved closer to -1. In my experience uneven alignment = uneven tyre wear which costs £££.

Rides
    i live like 5 mins away from them, i went to a "sort of" friends garage, charged 40 pound, im not too sure why there so uneven but i did wonder that. yours are almost symetrical, did elites ask you what setup you were after? how much was yours?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt1 View Post
    i live like 5 mins away from them, i went to a "sort of" friends garage, charged 40 pound, im not too sure why there so uneven but i did wonder that. yours are almost symetrical, did elites ask you what setup you were after? how much was yours?
    yeah they should be symmetrical, unless its a total track car and you set it up for a particular track. (more left or right turns for instance)

Do you know what your Castor is set to? this is probably the most important one for drifting and your steering self centering

I paid 167 quid, which is by no means cheap. but they spent over 3hours getting it perfect (had a couple of dodgy bolts etc.

i told them what settings i wanted after doing various bits of research and experience from my previous setup. (previous setup i had toe in like you but i prefer a neutral rear with the traction arm length changed)

Ive gone to elites for years, really like them in there and they have a lot of time for me.

Rides
    for some reason he couldnt adjust the top figure on the nearside, was also saying that because my strut brace wasnt adjustable there was only so much he could do. thinking of ditching the front strut brace anyway tbh. wish i could read these drawings so i could of brought it to his attention there and then. my rear offside shocks leaking so its time for coilovers anyway. coilies + anti rollbars fitted then take it some where else to be aligned i think.

Rides
    christ that is a fair whack but atleast its done properly. i have no idea of what its set to or how to alter it.

Rides
    for some reason he couldnt adjust the top figure on the nearside, was also saying that because my strut brace wasnt adjustable there was only so much he could do. thinking of ditching the front strut brace anyway tbh. wish i could read these drawings so i could of brought it to his attention there and then. my rear offside shocks leaking so its time for coilovers anyway. coilies + anti rollbars fitted then take it some where else to be aligned i think.
    Ohh, so your front camber is adjusted with camber bolts? not the top mounts of a coilover?

your strut brace shouldnt effect this at all though unless im being really daft?

i would have increased the offside camber to match the n/s then, thats pretty daft of him.

again, on the rear camber, you clearly have the adjustment and these should be equal, half a degree difference from side to side is massive.

christ that is a fair whack but atleast its done properly. i have no idea of what its set to or how to alter it.

your front tension rods/castor arms adjust the castor (the ones that go frm the front subframe to your lower control arms/wishbones) it pulls your wheel further forward or back in your arch in relation to the suspension topmount

Rides
    If you fancy a trip in to the countryside I can highly recommend Super Tyres in Maldon, been using them for years and I normally pay around £100 for full alignment.

Rides
    yeah i believe so, not sure if he knew what they were in fairness. coilovers should solve this problem.
    yeah well ill be going elsewhere when i next have it done. but on the whole its alot better than it was and it was only 40 pound, would be a little bit more pi$$ed off if id paid full price for it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O.R.S. View Post
    If you fancy a trip in to the countryside I can highly recommend Super Tyres in Maldon, been using them for years and I normally pay around £100 for full alignment.
    i dont mind a little drive into maldon. do they do "set ups" if you like, such as fast road, drift? or do they just align it and thats that.

Rides
    i dont mind a little drive into maldon. do they do "set ups" if you like, such as fast road, drift? or do they just align it and thats that.
    mate if your that close to elites just go there and tell them what settings you want. it will cost you 60quid in fuel/tyre wear driving to maldon

for 40quid, its sorted your issue, but he could sort the rear camber perfectly for you.

To me they havnt even measured the Castor? let alone changed it.

I also dont think your front camber has been adjusted at all.

Rides
    No they do everything. The wall next to their alignment bay has pictures of everything from F40's to full racing cars on their ramps.

Rides
    lmao true, id just like some of the roads in maldon :P
    well ill give it a few months, fit the antirollbars and coilovers then get it done properly.

Rides
    Looks like they didn't measure or adjust caster, they then adjusted to standard road settings but couldn't adjust the front left camber (for whatever reason). It'll probably be fine for a road car. Most general places will adjust to a spec you give them.

We can set the car up for various uses but quiet often its down to driver preference - some people like a car thats very twitchy, others prefer a softer setup. So theres no 100% "right" setup for a specific use.

Rides
    right ok, well its a weekend car tbh with the odd drift day, but like i say i want to fit coilovers and antirollbars then get it aligned properly with any adjustment for drift possible.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    mate if your that close to elites just go there and tell them what settings you want. it will cost you 60quid in fuel/tyre wear driving to maldon

for 40quid, its sorted your issue, but he could sort the rear camber perfectly for you.

To me they havnt even measured the Castor? let alone changed it.

I also dont think your front camber has been adjusted at all.
    Camber is being measured in degrees and minutes ie; 60" to 1', same as in your report. The difference left to right is almost nothing.
    I agree with Jez. They skipped the castor measurement and tried to set the rest as close to stock as they could. They haven't really done any harm but it could have been much better.