Thread: S13 headlight help - Fed up of driving with candles

Rides

S13 headlight help - Fed up of driving with candles

Hi all, Im after some advice on how to brighten up my S13 headlights. The light that comes out of them is dim and I struggle to see.

I've tried HIDs, bit they just look wrong and the beam pattern is all messed up.

I have polished the headlight glass and currently have Osram Nightbreaker bulbs installed and they are just too dim.

Does anyone have a clue about how to brighten up the headlights? Aftermarket housings or different bulbs etc?

Any help anyone could provide would be most appreciated. And pictures of light brightness would be helpful too.

Rides
    Best thing I've seen is Raybrig Housings and HID's, as the Raybrigs correct the beam pattern, rahter than the standard housings which aren't compatible and as you've found out you get the wrong patter. It's something I've been looking into as mine are rubbish too.

I've currently got a set of off road H4 bulbs in mine, which are a lot brighter than the standard yellow bulb and aren't as bright as many you see flying around and help somewhat but they're still barely any use

I'll see if i have a comparison picture somewhere
    Edit: Turns out I don't have a picture of the comparison :/
    Last edited by steve109; 16-01-2013 at 14:19.

Rides
    Bump. Anyone else?

Rides
    HID's can be had for an s13. or go custom like a few of us scots have

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    HID's can be had for an s13. or go custom like a few of us scots have

A trend that I started in April 2003 and has been copied and modified by others.

I still have the drawings/plans somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (71.9 KB, 107 views)
    Last edited by Barryjdart; 19-01-2013 at 08:43.

Rides
    Have you separated the lights and cleaned the inside of the lenses and reflectors? This usually helps.

The Raybrigs are really good though, and I've seen them sell for >100 quid second hand.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Have you separated the lights and cleaned the inside of the lenses and reflectors? This usually helps.
    Can't remove glass lens from S13 lamp. Only way to clean them is with things like bottle brushes and polish with a cloth on a stick.

These are UK spec Raybrig.

Note the different reflector shape on LHS to RHS and angle the bulb is set at. That is the dip beam kick up. Reflector section that is angled down on offside produces a kick up to beam on the nearside. If you find one that is the other way round then it's cack hand dip and will fail a UK MOT.
    Note the black paint on the front end of the bulb.

Anything on e-bay with a "projector" lens in front of the bulb is crap - can't get light out the black painted bulb end. Someone even got stiffed with some that had shiny black reflectors. All are universally crap, for show use only and don't have a dip beam.

Rides
    Raybrigs are the way forward IMO. I had HIDs, but ripped them out as they were awful

Rides
    Go to hidplanet guy there is making me some 7x6 headlights (Oem size) with morimoto projectors and a proper bi xenon setup. Seen some on an s13 and the beam pattern and cutoff is like a brand new Audi. Cost 270$ delivered.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Can't remove glass lens from S13 lamp. Only way to clean them is with things like bottle brushes and polish with a cloth on a stick.
    That's a shame. I've never done it with and S13 but I assumed you could heat and split. Every day's a schoolday!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    I noticed this yesterday bigtime, Was driving in the snow and could actually only see like 1 meter infront of me. Was bricking it, Doesn't help the s13 ride height seems to sit on eye level with other cars headlights so I'm constantly blinded and can't never see that great.

Rides
    I think some of you guys need to get your eyes checked.....