Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes an S14 kouki a kouki?

Rides

What makes an S14 kouki a kouki?

I'm trying to find out what makes a genuine Kouki differ from a replica.Anyone can put a Kouki kit on an S14a.
    Are the vin numbers specific & what level of trim should it have.Is there anything mechanically different?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Rides
    I assume same as the S13, a genuine kouki, meaning late model, were only made after a certain year?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Kouki is just the 14a. And the 14 is the zenki. Means 'after change' and 'before change' respectively.

If you're referring to the aero, that's specific to the Jap kouki. None of the American / UK models get it from factory.

Rides
    Okay so this is an S14a;

This is an S14 Kouki;

Is that literally the difference?Are they more valuable as a genuine kouki or does an S14a with a kouki kit reach the same value?How would I tell the genuine from the copy?

Rides
    Digital climate control, electric mirrors are one of the ways to spot an import. As far as I'm aware only came on import models. Admittedly the mirrors are easy to swap but I think the DCC is a bit harder to do properly so if it doesn't have working DCC I would suspect that to be an copy

Rides
    Didnt the imports have hicas?

Rides
    For the price of picking up a kouki kit, you probably won't make your money back on what it cost you. Look at flik's for example. That was a pretty clean car, just under 100k miles, import all kouki spec'd and a crap ton more and he had it for sale for ages and ended up breaking it

Funnily enough I brought his kouki aero from him and stuck it on my UK 14a...

Rides
    Kouki is just the unofficial JDM/USDM/scene term for S14a since S14a isn't a proper designation, it's just some UK wording.

S14 Zenki = S14
    S14 Kouki = S14a

In Japan, there was a factory aero option for the Kouki that was IIRC front bumper, optional lip, rear bumper, optional spats, side skirts and spoiler. They're expensive to get hold of over here, unrealistic sometimes for the rarer parts like the spats.

Imported S14a/Kouki's had digital climate control, power folding mirrors and HICAS passive rear steering, all of which people generally end up removing.

As far as I know, all S's were manufactured in Japan with specifications for each market. So in theory, all cars are imports. These days it isn't whether it's an import or not that defines if a car commands a premium. It's whether or not it has scene goodies and whether or not it's rusted through.

Hope that helps.

Rides
    Zenki is Japanese for early, Kouki is Japanese for late.

Rides
    Thanks for all the input guys,that's valuable knowledge I'm looking at one on saturday so wanted to be spot on with my imformation.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Kouki is just the unofficial JDM/USDM/scene term for S14a since S14a isn't a proper designation, it's just some UK wording.

S14 Zenki = S14
    S14 Kouki = S14a

In Japan, there was a factory aero option for the Kouki that was IIRC front bumper, optional lip, rear bumper, optional spats, side skirts and spoiler. They're expensive to get hold of over here, unrealistic sometimes for the rarer parts like the spats.

Imported S14a/Kouki's had digital climate control, power folding mirrors and HICAS passive rear steering, all of which people generally end up removing.

As far as I know, all S's were manufactured in Japan with specifications for each market. So in theory, all cars are imports. These days it isn't whether it's an import or not that defines if a car commands a premium. It's whether or not it has scene goodies and whether or not it's rusted through.

Hope that helps.
    No.

Kouki is the official word for a late JDM s14

Rides
    i just thought it was 200sx s14 or s14a (in the UK)

silvia s14 zenki or kouki (meaning "after"/facelift)

Rides
    Also not all JDM cars have Hicas.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clive View Post
    No.

Kouki is the official word for a late JDM s14
    I didn't think it was an official term used by Nissan. I know it's the Japanese word but like I said.

Rides
    Aren't the shells different too, like behind the headlights or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post

Hope that helps.
    I've spent a lot of time underneath MX5s and Eunos Roadsters in the past couple of years. The imports are almost always in much better condition, even cars that have been over here for a few years. Your probably right but I'd be much keener on an import rather than a UK car.
    Last edited by CamInHead; 18-01-2013 at 16:13.

Rides
    i know that import s14's (zenki) don't have the cut out behind the headlight. Not sure if the uk spec s14 has them or not though

Rides
    S14's (zenki) are solid behind the headlights. S14a's (kouki) have the hole. This is in every model in every country.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    S14's (zenki) are solid behind the headlights. S14a's (kouki) have the hole. This is in every model in every country.
    i take that as the s14a headlights are deeper so they cut out the plates?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleverley View Post
    i take that as the s14a headlights are deeper so they cut out the plates?
    Pretty much. The 14a headlights can fit on a 14 but you can't remove the bulbs with the lights in place because of the poor access.

Rides
    Generally the imports aren't made of rust. That would be my reason for buying one.