Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rota sizing query

Rides

Rota sizing query

I guess you're probably sick of this, but it will lead to a sale so bear with me!

I want to fit 17" Rota Grid Drifts. Car is S14A on Nismo S-line shocks, so a little lower than normal. I may swap to coilies at some point so I would like a bit of clearance.The car is for 'grip' trackday work so I don't want stretch. It's not about looks .... but a bit of dish is nice and I'd rather the wheels didn't look lost in the arches .

Rubber wise, I'm think I'm set on 225/45/17 Front and 245/40/17 tyres.

The only uncertainty I have is wheel widths and offsets. I'm thinking about staggering with 8 or 8.5" on front and 9 or 9.5" on back. Would rather avoid spacers if I can help it. Gratfeful if you could make a recommendation?

Oh, and probably want matt black or matt bronze, if that makes a difference with available sizes.

Cheers,
    -Dave

Rides
    Maybe the 8.5j on the front and 9 at the rear? they won't stretch, the rear should be quite flush and the front won't be much inside the arch. offsets are front +30 and rear +25 on those sizes.

Rides
    The chap above is pretty spot on.

The only thing with the 8.5s is they aren't concave in the spokes, so you might prefer 9" all round. With those tyres you could go to 9.5 on the rear, but the 9s and 9.5s look the same, and the 9s will be slightly lighter, so 17x9 all round would be my suggestion :-)

Rides
    9s on the rear certainly sounds sensible then, thanks. I'm all for saving unsprung weight (and cost!)

I can live without the concavity on the fronts if needs be, i.e. if there is unnecessary weight to be saved. I guess 8.5" fronts it would look just like in this thread:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...d-s&highlight=

...which looks fine to me. Though I'm not sure if he's running spacers. For the rears: would the 9" ET+25 equate to somethign like 9.5" ET+12 (that he's running) in terms of where the outer face of the wheel fits?

Though, if I'm not worried about front dish, 8" would be even lighter than 8.5", and I assume that would be fine with 225 tyres. (Being a wheel noob I assumed I could just compare wheel and tyre widths by converting the wheels to mm, but that really doesn't work...)

Would 225s on 8.5 / 9" (front) and 245s on 9" (rear) cause any problems with the arches etc.? I think my rears have been rolled by a previous owner but not sure on the fronts.

Sorry for all the questions, I can't seem to find any definite answers with the search.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you find the kind of look you want with regards to how far inset the wheels are from the arch you can use one of the many offset calculators on Google to get the fitment you require
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    If you find the kind of look you want with regards to how far inset the wheels are from the arch you can use one of the many offset calculators on Google to get the fitment you require
    If only I knew 'what kind of look' I was going for! Just don't want them to rub on anything, or look lost in the arches, so roughly flush with them is about right. Without going out into the rain to take a wheel off and wip a ruler out, can you tell me what that distance is...?

Rides
    I think 9j +25 will stay almost flush to the fender on the rear, And for flush i mean vertically, no hellaflush here. For the front is the same, the 8.5 +30 will sit half inch inside the fender, nothing more. Note that I'm talking not for personal experience but for the hundreds of pictures I've watched.
    Anyway 9.5 +12 will stick out more than a 9 +25, at least one inch i think
    Last edited by B-Dogg; 27-01-2013 at 22:16.

Rides
    PS. please take pictures of them as soon as you buy them, I'm willing to buy them and would like to see how a 8 or 8.5j sits on the silvia you findo only big wheels pics out there

Rides
    You wont have any arch issues with these wheel size / offsets choices, with those tyre sizes

17x8 only come in white, so I would stick with the 8.5s You're not THAT far away if you're in Bristol, I would suggest popping down this way to see us so we can show you all of the options

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    You wont have any arch issues with these wheel size / offsets choices, with those tyre sizes

17x8 only come in white, so I would stick with the 8.5s You're not THAT far away if you're in Bristol, I would suggest popping down this way to see us so we can show you all of the options
    8.5" and 9" it is then. Thanks for your help and patience - I've never bought wheels before and there's a fair few things to consider!

Sadly I doubt I'll get the time to head down to Devon any time soon, and I want to get the wheels ordered sooner rather than later.

Will give you a bell for an order once I've decided on tyres and wheel colour!

-Dave

Rides
    Dave would you take pics of the fitting for the front? thanks very much mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Dogg View Post
    Dave would you take pics of the fitting for the front? thanks very much mate
    Will do.

Rides
    Right, tough choosing between flat black and matt bronze but I think I'll go with black.

What tyres do you recommend? Looking for good grip for track work, though not interested in cut slicks as I have had AO48s before and want something that breaks away a bit more progressively. AD08s?

Rides
    AD08s sound like they will be ideal for you.

In the current temperatures keep in mind no high performance summer tyre will be at its best :-)

Rides
    So I'm having a nightmare getting the wheels I want. Rarerims don't have the black 17x9s. Driftworks claimed to have the goods, only to get an email yesterday saying, actually, they don't have the 17x9 et25s in flat black. (I've since found that everyone seems to get their wheels direct from Rota so I suspect I won't get them anywhere now...?)

Pretty annoying as I am off work today to accept delivery, and I have some tyres being fitted to these (now non-existent) wheels on Friday!

So, Ben: What wheels / colours do you have in a staggered 17x8.5 et30ish and 17x9 et25ish?

Rides
    Paint them as you like it!!

Rides
    I will get you a list now - we're the distributor for Europe so our stocks are mostly it I am afraid

Rides
    OK...

Torque available in Bronze or Gunmetal in these sizes:
    17x8 ET35
    17x9 ET35

Grids available in White in:
    17x8.5 ET30
    17x9 ET25
    or available in Flat Black in:
    17x8.5 ET30
    17x9.5 ET20

Any good?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    OK...

Torque available in Bronze or Gunmetal in these sizes:
    17x8 ET35
    17x9 ET35

Grids available in White in:
    17x8.5 ET30
    17x9 ET25
    or available in Flat Black in:
    17x8.5 ET30
    17x9.5 ET20

Any good?
    Ben,

Thanks for this. Having thought about it, the Torques are ok but I really like the simple look of the Grid/GTR style wheels. Also I looked at the car again and played around with offset calculators, and I'm worried about the 9.5" ET20 fitment. My car actually has 18 x 9.5" on now with effective ET20, and the 245 section tyres are fairly stretched (by my eye anyway) and it looks like I will have clearance issues if I run the car any lower (standard arches). 17*9" ET 25 looks like it will fit so much better.

So I think I'll stick the tyres in the spare room and hold out on a set of flat black Grid Drifts. Any idea on how long to the next shipment? Can I place any sort of order?

Rides
    Are your arches rolled? I've got 9.5j ET12's on the rear, with, granted 225 tyres, and I'm down on coilovers and could go lower or run 235's, that's with a mild roll. ET20's even with 245's should go under rolled arches. If you weren't so far, I'd offer the use of my arch roller!
    Last edited by Slamz; 05-02-2013 at 21:20.