Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Problems going 600+ HP with CA18DET?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
    as others have said a decent, well specced well mapped 400-450hp will be as quick on anything other than the drag strip imho
    As I myself said already, I want (not I need) 600HP just for drag-strip. My engine as it is already is anything but low-down torque monster

Rides
    fair enough then, better start on Shoguns shopping list then

Rides
    Just re-read some Mobnes thread and you know what, he used stock intake manifold for 500whp, and stock lifters for 700whp I guess that would mean you don't always have to change everything you see

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
    Just re-read some Mobnes thread and you know what, he used stock intake manifold for 500whp, and stock lifters for 700whp I guess that would mean you don't always have to change everything you see
    He also used the stock diff and gearbox. But it didn't last long.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    He also used the stock diff and gearbox. But it didn't last long.
    Trust me, I would be happy to break stock gearbox at 700WHP

Rides
    Vetal,

believe me, I know what 500hp CA will cost you and what weak points it will have. I also know how far you are from reliable 600hp engine now. I really think most of people here gave you very important info to make a decision. You won't get 600hp with small budget from CA.
    For example, most are saying CA box won't last more than 350whp, but mine (rebuilt) was quite good at 500+. However I wasn't dragracing or drifting a lot. So if you want engine last long, proper parts or work should be used/done, you should listen about parts that should be chosen/installed.
    You are talking about pistons, rods and turbo, however many additional things should be taken into account too. You won't get reliable 600hp without proper fuel system (big diameter, few Bosches, swirl pot, injectors, fuel rail etc.) or engine breather system too. Good standalone ECU, coilpacks, engine headwork, modifications, cams, lifters, springs, retainers etc. will help you too. I'm not talking about turbo, exhaust system, intake mods etc.
    At this kind of power every small thing has impact on the final result - not the power itself (but it too), but to make it reliable.
    Last edited by Airbog; 05-02-2013 at 09:52.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbog View Post
    Vetal,

believe me, I know what 500hp CA will cost you and what weak points it will have. I also know how far you are from reliable 600hp engine now. I really think most of people here gave you very important info to make a decision. You won't get 600hp with small budget from CA.
    For example, most are saying CA box won't last more than 350whp, but mine (rebuilt) was quite good at 500+. However I wasn't dragracing or drifting a lot. So if you want engine last long, proper parts or work should be used/done, you should listen about parts that should be chosen/installed.
    You are talking about pistons, rods and turbo, however many additional things should be taken into account too. You won't get reliable 600hp without proper fuel system (big diameter, few Bosches, swirl pot, injectors, fuel rail etc.) or engine breather system too. Good standalone ECU, coilpacks, engine headwork, modifications, cams, lifters, springs, retainers etc. will help you too. I'm not talking about turbo, exhaust system, intake mods etc.
    At this kind of power every small thing has impact on the final result - not the power itself (but it too), but to make it reliable.
    Airbog, thanx for reply
    Fuel system is not "weak point", I consider this is simple - if you see it's inadequate, upgrade it
    Drivetrain - I already mentioned, that's separate area. However I wouldn't want to invest $$$$ in tranny and $$$$ in clutch. 1K here and 2K there and after a while you just dumped half of 911Turbo... That's why I'm trying to stay on budget

Rides
    Get a good ECU, fuelsystem and a LARGE turbo. Other than that run what you have. I bet it will make 500hp. Maybe not 600 but who cares?

Rides
    Epic refloat!! jejeje
    Just wondering to know how this WTF idea finally ended xD

variable geometry diesel turbo for this was baaad idea.. diesel turbos are not designed to afford gasoline rpms range xD xD

Rides
    No diesel turbo's on petrol cars often perform poorly.

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lp1121 View Post
    Jackson aint got the most powerful ca in uk no more lol

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    How long does an engine have to survive before it can be claimed that it will make a certain power output?

Just curious what people think.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    Top fuel engines only last half a mile but you won't hear anyone claiming they don't make 10,000 hp at least!

Depends what you're using it for?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    How long does an engine have to survive before it can be claimed that it will make a certain power output?

Just curious what people think.

one dyno pull/power reading and still running,with no rods out racing Kaboom is the norm imo,
    if it blows up on the next pull and makes less power they will revert to the earlier pull and say my 'xyz' whp engine died
    that's the format for dyno queens at power contests

Rides
    May be I didn't word the question correctly. What do you think defines the maximum power an engine can make? Personally an engine over about 400bhp/litre is getting to the point of useless.

Is there evidence that dragsters make that power or is it just based in the weight of petrol used? Reminds me of a well known Cossie tuner when we asked him how he knew his car had 500bhp. " Well it's got 8 Grey's so it must be" was the answer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    Is there evidence that dragsters make that power or is it just based in the weight of petrol used? Reminds me of a well known Cossie tuner when we asked him how he knew his car had 500bhp. " Well it's got 8 Grey's so it must be" was the answer.
    There is an excellent SAE paper written on the subject which estimates 10,000hp for a proper nitromethane supercharged V8. Based on speed / distance analysis and knowing that they don't have a gearbox and some other assumptions.

The supercharger takes about 1,000 hp to drive in that instance...

What makes 400hp/l useless? If it's for drag racing its fine. As a road car it would be pretty horrid. Depends on the use case.

400 hp/l for a 1.8 is 720 hp, which sounds like a lot but in terms of seriously quick drag stuff is piddly.

Fuel is the limiting factor usually for maximum output. Honda wrote a paper on their turbocharged F1 engines from the 80s and how fuel blend (i.e. how much toluene they added and some other things) affected total output and efficiency. But as with anything it depends on far you're willing to go. Using production heads for ridiculous specific outputs is usually an issue.

No beating displacement though, turbochargers only get more useful with capacity.

Rides
    Just trying to ask at what point people think an engine has crossed over into numbers for numbers sake. 400bhp/litre is the highest output engine I've attempted to drive on the road, it was crap.
    Do you have a link to either paper, they sound interesting.
    Have asked before, but has anyone seen actual proof of an RB26 making over 1000bhp?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Top fuel engines only last half a mile but you won't hear anyone claiming they don't make 10,000 hp at least!

Depends what you're using it for?
    To limit the insane terminal speeds they have reduced the strip to 1000 foot from 1/4 mile 1,320 feet.

Heads off every run.
    New crank every 4 runs.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lp1121 View Post
    Good link thanks

Enviado desde mi Galaxy S6