Thread: engine re build questions- piston ring sizes and bearing sizes

Rides

engine re build questions- piston ring sizes and bearing sizes

I have just started buying parts for an engine re-build and apon looking at some piston rings i have noticed that there are two different sizes. is there a way i can tell what size mine have in them? (s14a black top engine)

The sizes I have seen are:

layout 1.50mm x 1.50mm x 3.0mm

layout 1.20mm x 1.20mm x 2.5mm

Also I started looking at main and big end bearings and noticed that there are sizes: standard 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75
    are the other sizes only needed if machining work has been done to the crank or block?

Apologies if I am asking stupid questions just cant be bothered with the hassle of sending parts back all the time!

Also any recommendations on what rings to use on standard pistons? or good websites for internal parts

any help appreciated!

Thanks

Leigh

Rides
    You'll need to open up the engine first. That way you can find out what parts need changing, if block needs rebored, crank regrind...... Then you can start selecting parts based on the kit you need.

regarding the bearing sizes; yes you get different sized bearings to allow for ground cranks. Nissan bearings also offers "grades" to allow for minor tollerance differences.

Rides
    Thanks for the advice s200rat, got it down to a bare block yesterday so that I can take it to a machine shop. My crank looks like it will need some machining work, I have been advised not to get any crank grinded as it can cause problems,has any one had any experiences with crank machining?

Leigh

Rides
    The SR crank can be machined.

people who have given you that advice might of had bad experiences with nitrided cranks (e.g. twin cam fiats / lancia's) as the surface hardening is only a surface treatment and hence machining them removes it.