Thread: Do I need a oil restrictor for t28r??

Rides

Do I need a oil restrictor for t28r??

Hello guys was just wondering if I need a oil restrictor for a t28r on my ca18det s13?
    Just worried as some say you do and others say you don't. Don't want to damage my turbo.
    Any help will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Rides
    Best thing to do is dont run one, give it a run for few hundread miles keep eye on for smoking and pop an intercooler/turbo pipe off to see if theres any excess of oil

Rides
    Some T28r's have 1 built in. But the need for 1 can depend on other things such as what sort of oil pressure your engine produces.

I'd say yes as i chose to run one on my GT2560R to be safe as i read so many conflicting opinions. Also i have a fully rebuilt engine with good steady oil pressure.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by T926_S14A View Post
    Best thing to do is dont run one, give it a run for few hundread miles keep eye on for smoking and pop an intercooler/turbo pipe off to see if theres any excess of oil
    Hello mate I fitted the t28r last year on my s13. And the only problem I had was there was white smoke from the exhaust on idle and it only happened once and didn't anymore. It boosts perfect. And didn't get that problem for about 4 months. Than my car was on drive as I only drive it in summer. Started driving it yesterday and the same problem happened again smoke on idle just once tho. Turned the car off and on again and didn't do it anymore. What could it be?

Rides
    condensation?? Mine does it most mornings when its cold!

Rides
    White smoke? Or light blue smoke?

Blue would normally be oil seals/burning oil, possibility due to not restricted enough or turbo seals gone or worse rings or valve seals

White is burning coolant or possibly just condensation in this cold weather we are having or that the turbo is water cooled, not sure if seals can go or cracked housing as ive never had turbo apart, more likely condensation

Rides
    It don't smoke in the mornings only when the car is warm and left it i dealing. Can't really see the blue but it's def thick white cloud. Popped the turbo intake pipe and there was a little bit of oil and no play in the shaft atall. Curious thing is that it only does when it wants not all the time when idealing. And if I then turn the car off and on again no smoke atall. This leave me in deep oceans to think. Can it be like kinked oil feed or return like? Is there any checks to do before blaming the turbo!
    Last edited by clive12155; 27-02-2013 at 20:41.

Rides
    Any could help me pls?

Rides
    i donīt fitted the restrictor in mine because it as one built in, you need to check on your oil inlet in the turbo if it as one or not.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardomendes View Post
    i donīt fitted the restrictor in mine because it as one built in, you need to check on your oil inlet in the turbo if it as one or not.
    Is it inside the turbo mate? Do I need to take the turbo off to check?