Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: skinz180189's R32 GTR

Rides
    That was the reason I wanted a decent graded import. The ones already in the UK that I could afford were rough, had been here too long (thinking of rust), or stupid power.

Rides
    Sound reasoning to me.

Rides
    SHE'S BACK! **Touch Wood**

So after a farcical 2 and a bit weeks, it seems I've got it running right again. After smashing the MAF, I bit the bullet and bought 2 used ones. Tested them with no load on the engine through the Consult software & all seemed fine.

Then I noticed one of the O2 sensors was reading 0 Volts. So set about finding 2 new sensors. What a ballache that was, nowhere in the UK had stock of them. Found some in the USA, but they emailed back saying they only had the rear (the front has a different plug.) Found out they were the same sensor, so just got 2 rears. Then waited almost 1 and a half weeks for them thanks to our joke of a customs/postal service.

In the mean time, I'd had the ARC box out to do the MAFs, so I decided to ditch the carbon canister...

And ran the fuel tank vent down to the front arch...

Far better. Rebuilt the MAFs/ARC (along with new front filter in the ARC), then set about removing the old O2 sensors. Now, must are an M18 thread (22mm socket). Not these, they're M12. So I manufactured a lambda socket out of a 17mm deep hex. It needed deepening after this photo as it damaged wiring, but that only mattered for the new ones...

Then yesterday the replacements arrived, and I tried to solder the old front sensor's plug to the new rear sensor replacing it...

Only then I discovered solder doesn't stick as it's high temp wire! So today I've had to go buy a crimping tool & crimps. Wired it all up, fitted both sensors, and now it seems fine!

Hopefully now I can stop worrying about niggles and get round to a bit of modernising & making it my own. Not that I've got the time to ATM with covering people at work on holidays.

Rides
    Really glad I washed it last night, because it has ended in this...

So pissed off, a huge stone chip right above the windscreen flaked paint off when washing it, plus I found a shit tonne of little ones it had picked up. Barely done 600 miles on UK roads and it's getting ruined.

Don't really like the shit job the kits give you either, but it's better than bare Japanese steel rusting away (which some had started to, thanks to the atmosphere it's parked in at work). Just hope I can wet flat & polish the stupidly thick brushed on paint to match the rest. Needs proper paint ideally, but there's so many individual bits chipping it turns into a full respray.

Rides
    I've had the same problem with my 180 with the paint flaking, I've got about 4-5 bits of paint that have peeled off - a couple are on the roof and don't look as though they ever properly bonded to the primer
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    OEM paint?

Rides
    yeah, it's really odd - it's as though a stonechip has hit, there's a tiny bit of rust on the metal - then where the paint has lifted, it's a straight line peel down the car for about an inch or two on one side - almost as though there's there's been tape on the roof where when it's removed the tape adhesive hasn't been cleaned off properly?

the other side of the paint lift is a jagged and irregular as you'd expect.

tis definitely OEM, the paint thickness is hilariously thin.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 22-07-2013 at 12:03.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

Rides
    what about that clear stuff they put on performance cars to stop chips?

my mates elise is covered in the stuff

Rides
    I'm told that white is the thinnest of the colours the R32 came in.

It still needs spraying before I even consider whatever that stuff is Matt anyway. Might not bother yet, it's a lot of money for a proper job.

Rides
    Small update...

Picked up a front & rear Nismo strutbrace, only got the front fitted currently as I'm waiting on some cut out boot liners instead of chopping mine up.

I've never really been into strut braces, but these were rare, Nismo, and the front has the built in Brake master cylinder stopper that's always a bonus. The little flashes of red add to the engine badging/arc filters too, so it ties in nicely.

[img][/img]

Rides
    The garage ornament is looking good Gaz.

Rides
    You need scaring shitless in it yet!

Rides
    Right folks, time for a bit of an update. Hopefully a few more will be coming in the next few weeks. So basically, with a trackday at Blyton Park booked for the 1st April (yes, yes, it's April Fools Day) I need to get the car reasonably ship shape for track.

So the current list stands at;

Fit Rear Nismo Strut Brace &Spare (cutout) boot liners.
    Fit BM57 (Z32 Twin Turbo) Brake Master Cylinder I've had since I bought the car!
    Tidy up R33 GTR Brembos (Just paint & stickers, No new seals, they were only done 2 years ago by my mate), along with new Brembo bleed nipples.
    Fit R33 GTR Brembos, with DBA 4000 Discs & Ferodo DS2500 pads they came with.
    Refurbish Rear Calipers (new seals, boots, paint).
    Replace Rubber Brake Hoses with Braided Brake Lines.
    Replace Rubber Clutch Hose for Braided Line (hopefully removes the stupid damper assembly too).
    Fit Nismo 276L/H Fuel Pump.
    Fit Modified Turbo Outlet pipe (splits airflow for each turbo to reduce "shuffle").
    Source some sticky tyres for the OEM 16s (thinking Advan Neova AD08R currently).
    Replace OEM water/oil lines for braided hoses on the Turbos (currently a maybe, but I think I ought to really).
    Fit Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller (left over from old 200SX, again a maybe for now, it's not necessary).

So far I've not got as far as I'd have liked, mainly thanks to Autoglass with my daily but that's a long story!

Anyway,

The Nismo pump has arrived, might have to lose a but more fuel yet before fitting that (I'm at 1/4 a tank currently)...

The R33 GTR Brembos are getting somewhere close to being ready for paint...

The front & rear OEM calipers are off and the master cylinder is drained. Started stripping the finish on the calipers but got rained off as I was doing it outside to avoid blasting shite all over the car in the garage (will be moving work into the shed to carry these on!)

So that's as far as I've got so far, will come back next time when I've got a reasonably decent update.

Rides
    sweet looking car,definitely did the right thing importing one-I have seen some shockingly rusty ones!I would recommend enlarging the disc size on the front brakes if you are not already as this is what lets the standard setup down as the brakes were designed for 16" wheels.The standard calipers are very good and up to the job.

Rides
    careful about switching all the hoses on the turbos for braided - that's what I initially attempted to do with my car - ended up as a mess of spaghetti braided hose that would attempt to rub through itself, the chassis leg, small children etc.

I ended up leaving the oil lines as braided and then picking up some new solid water lines. like the ones below - though I ordered mine from another seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-SKY...item5661075f92

to give you a flavour of the mess - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post5910342

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by deeman View Post
    sweet looking car,definitely did the right thing importing one-I have seen some shockingly rusty ones!I would recommend enlarging the disc size on the front brakes if you are not already as this is what lets the standard setup down as the brakes were designed for 16" wheels.The standard calipers are very good and up to the job.
    Hence the R33 GTR calipers...

Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    careful about switching all the hoses on the turbos for braided - that's what I initially attempted to do with my car - ended up as a mess of spaghetti braided hose that would attempt to rub through itself, the chassis leg, small children etc.

I ended up leaving the oil lines as braided and then picking up some new solid water lines. like the ones below - though I ordered mine from another seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-SKY...item5661075f92

to give you a flavour of the mess - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post5910342
    I'll bear it in mind but I don't think many others have had many issues.

Rides
    Progress has been slow, mostly on my own part!

Anyway, I had myself a trial build up of the front brakes...

Stuck the wheel on and this happened! Turns out after a bit of googling that they still catch with 20mm spacers. I've sourced some R33 GTR wheels that I'm waiting on, with some tyres that'll suffice for the trackday albeit aren't anything special.

Master cylinder took a bit of effort to remove, the furthest rear of the 2 unions being madly tight that a union spanner was just destroying it. I had a solution for that in the form of mole grips!

Old on left vs new on the right. New one is a deja vu moment for me, having previously fitted a BM57 (Z32 300ZX TT) to the old 200SX S14A!

And the new one fitted, stuck the cap from the old one on as the yellow stands out like a sore prick, and we don't want that!

Tomorrow's plan is to get over to my stepdad's business, finish tidying up the brakes and if we get the chance, paint them. If not, I'll get him to spray them next week whilst I'm on nights. IF we get them painted, I'll dry fit the fronts, refurbish the rears and dry fit them on Sunday/Monday.

Rides
    So Friday, I got over to Leeds and got the calipers painted with a Glossy VHT 2 Pack paint I got from a company called Brake-Caliper-Painting.com, which came out really nicely when sprayed.

Left them 24 hours, then fitted the Brembo decals to the fronts.

This morning I had a chance to fit it all up. New Brembo bleed nipples for the front calipers were fitted, and then I built up the front brakes (the discs aren't fitted "wrong", it doesnt matter which way those grooves go as the internal structure of the rotor isn't curved.)

Fronts all built up, Discs, Pads, Brake Lines.

I was planning to fully refurbish the rears (all new seals). However, the grease & piston looked so fresh when I removed the dust seals I decided just to leave them alone and fit the new dust seals instead. I can push the pistons in by hand so it's not like they're stiff! So they're back on and built up with new braided lines too.

Didn't get the clutch line replaced, I'll either do that tomorrow before my nightshifts start, or Friday. Fluid & bleeding is planned for Saturday, also waiting on my R33 GTR wheels to arrive before a roadtest.

Rides
    Clutch Line is on, removes the damper loop...

Whilst under there I was looking at the downpipe, didn't appear to be standard. Asked on GTROC and found out it's an old school TRUST downpipe, sweet!

Anyway... Brakes are bled, clutch is bled. Wheels are on, and I've given her a much needed clean. Enjoy!

Rides
    I like this car, and your OCD,

I approve ...