Thread: s13 oem suspension, knuckles, etc in cad, solidworks, etc??

Rides

s13 oem suspension, knuckles, etc in cad, solidworks, etc??

i there i would like to know if anyone have any thing of OEM suspension geometry or knuckes on cad, solidworks, or any other software?
    i will do a project for university, and i need the oem suff like that and if any one have this it will help alot.

the Project will consist in analyse the oem suspension geometry and see what happen when the car is lowered, roll center etc...

regards

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Hey - I stumbled across this when looking for something else. Apologies for the thread revival!

I wrote a simple excel spreadsheet to look at this very thing, although it was a long time ago! I can email the spreadsheet(s) to you, if they're still of use.

Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Is that an Excel version of the Alan Staniforth "string computer"?

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Pretty much Took me ages!
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    hi there i use the lotus software shark to make the study of the geometry of the my s13 to design an adapter to correct the roll center and to get all the geometry to work correct again.

thanks for your videos too
    Last edited by ricardomendes; 03-09-2013 at 23:14.

Rides
    what were your results?

Rides
    first i get the positions of the points with a chassis analyser that we have also in the MOT to see if the chassis have any damage. then i put the coordinates on the lotus software and get this results in my car

CAMBER ANGLE (deg):-1.77
    TOE ANGLE (SAE) (+ve TOE IN) (deg):0.05
    TOE ANGLE (PLANE OF WHEEL) (deg):0.05
    CASTOR ANGLE (deg):3.78
    CASTOR TRAIL (HUB TRAIL) (mm):12.80
    CASTOR OFFSET (mm):8.07
    KINGPIN ANGLE (deg):13.14
    KINGPIN OFFSET (AT WHEEL) (mm):95.93
    KINGPIN OFFSET (AT GROUND) (mm):19.94
    MECHANICAL TRAIL (mm): 8.06
    ROLL CENTRE HEIGHT (mm):-73.23

i found i have a problem with my caster too, and found that my car suffered an accident and the radiator low rail is 11mm pushed back and even with adjustable arms in the small position i canīt get near the oem values for caster and i need to modify the pick up point of the arm.

to correct the roll centre i need at least 40mm to correct at knuckle to bring it to the ground level.

regards

Rides
    The only folk I know that have CAD of the original parts are GKTech, but that's because they have access to a 3D Laser scanner. I doubt they'd send you their models.

Rides
    Just out of interest (and the possibility of going balls out on a time-attack project in the future) what would be the optimum suspension setup for grip?

Ie, is it worth the ballache of space framing the front end to fit double wishbone setup or is McPherson strut just as good?
    (I see you've modeled d.w.s. above jn but stuck with McPherson on your project)
    I've been doing a little bit of Internet research on this but it's mind boggling!!

Any recommended reading?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by calicagesracing View Post
    Just out of interest (and the possibility of going balls out on a time-attack project in the future) what would be the optimum suspension setup for grip?

Ie, is it worth the ballache of space framing the front end to fit double wishbone setup or is McPherson strut just as good?
    (I see you've modeled d.w.s. above jn but stuck with McPherson on your project)
    I've been doing a little bit of Internet research on this but it's mind boggling!!

Any recommended reading?

i didnīt think in change the suspension type on my project. but if you want i have i few bookīs that a can send to you just give me your email by PM.

Rides
    Pm'd mate, thanks

Rides
    Hey recardo, I sent you a pm. I am currently working on a similar project.