Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mclean's s14/A budget skid build

Rides

Mclean's s14/A budget skid build

Thought i best start a build thread on my latest project. I have been kicking about on here for a few years or so,
    have had a few rwd shitters to learn in, volvo,s and couple of bimmers then went on to s-bodys.
    This was my first one i paid £1000 for it but it was abit shit and sacked it off

Then i bought this one and was the best car i had owned was well speced as well, loved it

but then had a run in with a black taxi typical taxi driver
    not streeto lol

Now this is my latest project 200sx s14 in wonderful faded red with an auto box. completly standard with a japspeed exhaust and some gay wheels
    i bought it spares or repair on ebay last april for cheaps. bottom end was knocking and was sat in a barn for 5 years
    but i was up for a challenge and wanted a car i can use to drift and give it shit and not worry about it taking a beating. the plan was to build it as cheap as possible and try to fabricate what i can inhouse and keep costs down
    some of the pictures might not be in order

So me and my old man went to collect it and on the way back we had a blow out on the trailer on the M6 which was a bummer because we didnt have the spare wheel

Thank god i had AA cover other wise would have cost a bomb to get recovered off the motorway
    anyway got it back to the garage here,s some pics

First off was to get it on the ramp and give it the once over
    this came out of the fuel filter haha

Next i made a pikey spec decat pipe with 3 inch stainless pipe its not pretty but it doesn't leak. cost £0

made a start on stripping the interior out

and then on to the dreaded sound deadning removal,so out came the hammer and chisel.
    dry ice was a no go because i couldn't get it anywhere but got some freeze spray from the motor factors that sort of worked freezing it but was a slow process

I then fitted some apex street/drift coilovers that i had stashed away from my old 14a
    i didnt take any pics tho

Then came the time to rip the engine out as the bottom end was knocking, my buddy Steve popped up to the workshop and ended up getting roped into giving me a hand

Last edited by Mclean; 19-02-2014 at 16:17.

Rides
    Next i stripped the dead engine down to see what the score was and in the end i decide just to source a replacement engine

Crank and cams were shot and the spray bars were blocked solid

While the engine was out i decided i would give it a lick of paint as the engine bay was absolutely disgusting. Halfway through i wished i never started as the prep work involved took forever i was working 9 till 6 then started on the 200 till gone 9 o'clock sometimes 11 o'clock some nights at the workshop, and that was most of the summer.

I got cracking and started on the rusty battery tray i planned on moving the battery to the boot so i got rid of it

found some rust =(

soon sorted

More sanding back

Masking

Primer

and for the colour and clear coat

With a wet flat in the visible areas

You could say its a custom colour, i just mixed it up and blasted it on haha, i did remember the ratio for when i paint the whole car.
    didn't think it came out to bad considering this is my first time painting using a gun and painted it out side
    Again i was given the paint by a friend so this cost me £0 =D

Rides
    Next i cleaned up all the bits and binned anything that was not needed and started to put everything back together

Managed to pick up a fairly low mileage engine with all auxiliaries, turbo ect out of an auto s14a for £400
    also got an absolute bargain on a full manual conversion with an attain short shifter for £200 win

Gave the engine a once over, quick lick of paint on the pullys, changed the vvt sprocket for the one out of the dead engine as it was totally silent,
    soaked the spray bars for a couple of days to be on the safe side, manual spigot bairing and new clutch and bolted the gearbox up to the engine

Gave myself a weekend to fit the engine and box and get it running

Gearbox wiring

The moment of true as with all second hand engines that you haven't heard running and have to take the sellers word on it condition, but it fired up straight away and ran like a dream

Plan was to get to santa pod DWYB for the 20th October so thankfully everthing was going well
    So far with buying the car and getting it running and and with a manual box it cost me
    £1100 =D Alot of man hours tho

for my birthday the missus bought me a tasty Motordrive fixed back bucket seat

Bought a apex seat rail off a member on here, and a TRS 3 point harness i had kicking about

Fitted along with an OMP dished steering wheel i also kept from my old 14a

Bought a tyre machine and balancer for cheaps for my garage at home
    can change tyres on skid rims at home with no messing about loading tyres and wheels to be changed and costing me a £10 a time

stack of tyres to kill

Relocated the battery into the boot

Cracked on with welding the diff up and sacked off the diff cooler and other junk

Tucked the wiring in the wheel arch and cut a notch in the body

Next up i put some replacement front brakes on as the old ones were binding,cleaned them up and painted them
    [IMG]http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u358/driftaddict1990/84B29121-055F-4EBA-989A-
    5F94EC13AF3B-15444-0000130CC542F993.jpg[/IMG]

Fitted my wheels that i kept, they are Volk Ray's Evolution 3, forged 3 piece splits
    had to run a spacer up front to clear the calipers because the offsets are abit poo
    also rolled the front arches and a slight flare

Rides
    some camber

Fitted some guages. oil temperature, oil pressure and boost

So the 20th of October came and it was time for pod,went down to the workshop and picked the car up with the recovery truck and set off early

Overall had a great day,took shed load of tools and spare bits expecting some niggles but the car ran faultless all day
    wish i got onto the big track sooner tho
    Last edited by Mclean; 19-02-2014 at 16:19.

Rides
    Managed to squeezed in another DWYB on the 28th of November before Christmas, got shed loads of seat time, I didn't really touch the car from last time as it ran so well, but I managed to crack the radiator and blew the manifold turbo gasket

So this brings me up to Saterday and yesterday had a quiet day at work and on the spere of the moment decided to get the DA out and make a start on painting the car
    Also welded up the holes on the boot and arial

I have got a s14a front end for this aswell, s14 front just wasn't doing it for me
    Last edited by Mclean; 19-02-2014 at 16:21.

Rides
    Love this project man, keep up the good work

Rides
    Cheers dude gets abit more interesting I have got loads of updated from December till now to wright up

Rides
    nice work keep the updates coming!

Rides
    Nice little project, I like seeing these budget drift car builds, just shows you can build a fully functioning drift car without firing cash everywhere.
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    This cars a drifting machine.

Rides
    This cars a drifting machine.

Rides
    looking good buddy, cant wait to see it with some fresh paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Sooo the time came to paint the car, I had a s14a front end sorted but couldn't collect it for reasons out of my control, but I would paint it along with the aero
    I got inpatient and cracked on. The paint is commercial heat proof engine bay paint that we were given same stuff I used on in the engine bay
    Ino the prep and paint is not the best but its a skid car, I didn't want to put loads of hours
    Into it just to be scared to drive it hard and be a fag

Primer

Made a big balls up with the paint, mixed up the paint out of the wrong tin like a dildo that I am

Soon got back on track

Then the next day I picked up a genuine Kouki rear bumper and touring sideskirts for a
    crazy cheap price =D

Last edited by Mclean; 25-03-2013 at 20:44.

Rides
    I thought It looked dam cool in matt gunmetal gray but soon realised it was a bad decision and I needed to flatten it and
    clear coat it
    So back in the workshop and mask up again lol

By the time i finished work and started masking up and clear coating It was past 2am on a Saturday morning and I was
    absolutely f***ed and smashing the coffee totalled 18 hours at work that day

Next up was to wet flat and polish and that took a decade in itself

Randomly won a bid on Egay and got my self a Datsun badge

Changed the manifold turbo gasket as it started blowing on my last DWYB

Couple of tack welds on the nuts

Finally got my s14a front end for a great price of £150

Rolled the front arches

Swapped my type 2 FMIC for a type 1 with
    LED sandwich and smashed it on, got my other buddy Kyle to make the mounting bracket because he's an engineer and was bored so papped that off to him, did a good job of it and its fully adjustable haha cheers mate
    I cracked on with the rest of the intercooler pipe work

Wired up the 14a lights

Last edited by Mclean; 16-04-2013 at 14:33.

Rides
    Got myself a much needed alloy radiator
    It's a DB-power one 52mm core with 60mm tanks
    Gave it a quick clean up and spot of polish

Look at the state of the old rad haha

Fitted a Horsham Developments stage 1a ecu
    Will give me enough power for what I use it for.
    Chucked a Walbro in the tank
    Last edited by Mclean; 16-04-2013 at 14:37.

Rides
    Looking really good now buddy, starting to miss my s14
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Im really loving this build mate, shows what you can do on a budget with a few skills think you should have kept the zenki front but that's just personal preference! keep up the good work and updates
    J

Rides
    Got a new machine at work which basically makes the fuel tank redundant and the car runs an a rich mixture of cleaners that clean the fuel system and injectors also de carbons the engine, before I did this I was having problems with running on full chat at the top end of the rev range, after I done this I took the car straight out and problem solved ran sweet as a nut,
    Cracking bit of kit and would recommend it to anyone to have it done

I then tried putting a set of skirts and rear bumper on her because I was still undesided on keeping it oem aero or fiberglass kit, think I prefer the oem plastic and I the plus side can take a beating
    But I may change my mind once the cars painted with all 4 Volk wheels on it

Bought a apexi air filter and adaptor in near new condition for £25
    Posted, another great bargain

Did another DWYB on Wednesday 20th March
    Loaded up the car with wheels and loaded the trailer on the Sunday before the 20th, saves
    farting about the night before or in the morning, just get it the van and go

Once again had a fantastic day at pod car ran faultless and with now running a stage 1a setup had loads more power and felt super fast with having the auto diff,
    It can pull 4th gear lol, only down side is I started to run out of fuel towards the end of the day and was suffering from fuel surge in the tank on the large corners

Haven't really done a lot over the past few weeks as iv been really busy and the weather
    been dog shit, but i have been stock piling loads of parts to keep me busy

I also made myself a Snap on gear stick, wasn't cheap to make lol but feels real nice

Have been a propper pikey taking dumped tyres off a disused roundabout for skid rubber, the things you do hey lmao

So this brings me bang up to date and I will try not be lazy and update this build as I go
    Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by Mclean; 16-04-2013 at 14:39.

Rides
    Ha ha, really liking this build man, keep the updates coming.

Rides
    Roll Reversal fly tipping,makes a nice change!Great car & build mate,keep it up.